Thread: '72 Miami, '73 Miami, '76 Oakland and '77 Dallas - In what order would you rank them?

Senior Member Array title="saturdaysarebetter will become famous soon enough">

'72 Miami, '73 Miami, '76 Oakland and '77 Dallas - In what order would you rank them?

1972 Miami
    1973 Miami
    1976 Oakland
    1977 Dallas

In what order would you rank these four Super Bowl Championship teams?

And which Steelers' teams of the '70s would rank ahead of your choice as the best of the four non-Steelers teams above?

1978 Pittsburgh

1975 Pittsburgh

1976 Pittsburgh was the best defense all-time but injuries denied them a third straight Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: '72 Miami, '73 Miami, '76 Oakland and '77 Dallas - In what order would you rank them?

1. 1972 Dolphins: I don't care if they had a cake easy schedule and won all of their postseason games by only 1 possession, it's so hard to win all your games, just ask the '07 Patriots, especially considering that Bob Griese was lost for most of that year. They also had the best point differential and best scoring offense of all these teams
    2. 1973 Dolphins: Better point differential than the teams ranked above them. Won all of their postseason games by at least 17 points. Only losses were to the Raiders at Oakland and a meaningless game against the Colts
    3. 1977 Cowboys: Better point differential than the 76 Raiders and a more dominant postseason too.
    4. 1976 Raiders: Worst point differential and worst lost (31 points to the Patriots) among the 4 teams as well as the worst scoring defense. Didn't win by more than 13 points until week 11. Then in the postseason they needed to come back from 11 points down and benefited from a controversial call to defeat an underdog Pats team at home then benefited from Franco and Rocky being out.

Which Steelers team would I rank above the 72 Dolphins? Honestly none. Not even the best single season Steelers team could beat perfection nor their point differential in my opinion.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: '72 Miami, '73 Miami, '76 Oakland and '77 Dallas - In what order would you rank them?

The Buffalo Bills had The Juice, but Miami had the container. If the 1976 Steelers had Larry Csonka, NFL history would have been different. The Dolphins had their run and the torch passed to the Steelers making them the team of the 1970s. The Raiders won some, but were nowhere near as dominant. Steelers beat the Cowboys twice in the SB.

I'll take the 4 SB trophies of the 1970s over the 1 perfect season and 2 less Lombardies in Miami. The beaches are definitely better down here though.
    All Defense!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

83' was the best Raiders team, 76' Raiders were/are my boys. I got to go to school wearing my Snake jersey and gloat...lol. I think I was the lone Raiders fan in high school. Kinda like now...lol.

I agree with st33lersguy with the rating.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    83' was the best Raiders team, 76' Raiders were/are my boys. I got to go to school wearing my Snake jersey and gloat...lol. I think I was the lone Raiders fan in high school. Kinda like now...lol.

I agree with st33lersguy with the rating.
    Your boys got a huge break when Franco and Rocky were unable to play in the 76 AFCCG.
    With the way the Steeler defense closed out that season, we were heading for a three-peat.