Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 worst teams in NFL history (in my opinion)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

10 worst teams in NFL history (in my opinion)

Lot of dreadful teams have embarassed themselves on the football field over 100 seasons. We will look at the 10 worst. Note these will only be single season teams, no multi-year stretches.

10. 1996 New York Jets. Since the merger, the Jets have been one of the most mistake prone franchises in the NFL. The biggest buttfumble of a season this team endured was 1996. The mastermind of this season was the infamous Rich Kotite. They were outscored by 11 points and high-priced free agent Neil O Donnell went winless in 6 starts, proving completely incapable of elevating a team or winning without a stacked supporting cast. Their only win of the season came against the Cardinals in game 9

9. 1980 New Orleans Saints: The Aints! The birth of the paper bags. While the Saints had a myriad of miserable seasons pre-Drew Brees, none were worse than this. The Saints were outscored by nearly 200 points and were dead last in scoring defense. They also set a (since surpassed) NFL record for biggest lead surrendered in a game (28 points against the 49ers). They were the 2nd team in NFL history after the 76 Bucs to start 0-14 and their lone victory was a 1 point win against the 4-12 Jets

8. 1991 Indianapolis Colts: This team was dreadful and their offense was downright unwatchable. The Colts offense scored 143 points over 16 games (a tick under 9 points per game) and scored more than 10 points a mind-blowing 4 times. They also had only 10 passing TDs and 3 rushing TDs. A 28-27 win over the Jets (their lone win of the season) and a 24-33 loss to the Lions represent over a 3rd of the points scored.. Their defense wasn't very good themselves surrendering a tad under 24 points.

7. 1973 Houston Oilers: In 72 and 73, the Oilers had back-back 1-13 seasons. However, the 73 team had both a worse point differential (-248) and worse lone victory (a 31-27 victory over the 4-10 Baltimore Colts). The Oilers surrendered nearly 32 points per game (over 500 points when extrapolated over a 16 game season) in an era when it was pretty difficult to play offense and they lost by double digit points 11 of 14 games. Head coach Bill Peterson was fired and when the great Sid Gillman was hired as the interim coach, not even he could achieve better than a 1-8 record

6. 1990 New England Patriots: 90% of Patriots fans (at least Patriots fans as of 2019) probably don't remember that the Patriots were unsuccessful the majority of their history. Prior to the Bellichick/Brady era, the high point of the franchise involved the Pats serving as sacrificial lambs to the 85 Bears Super Bowl victory. The low point was 1990. The Patriots scored a little over 11 points per game and surrendered a little under 28 points per game. The Patriots lone win was a 16-14 win over the Colts in week 2 and they lost their last 14 games. Fan attendace was also low. For example, in the season finale against the Giants, most of the fans in attendance were Giants fans

5. 2009 St. Louis Rams: This team made Jeff Fisher's Rams teams look like the Greatest Show on Turf, or at least Sean McVay's teams Pre-Super Bowl 53. The offense scored the fewest points (10.9 ppg) and surrendered the 2nd most points in the NFL that year (27.3 ppg) and half of their games were losses by at least 3 possessions. Their lone win ironically was against the Detroit Lions' 2-14 follow-up to their 0-16 season. Steven Jackson (whose career was criminally wasted) accounted for over 30% of the team total yards and a a quarter of the teams TD in rushing alone/

4. 1960 Cowboys: This team's failures can be credited as the result of the NFL quickly placing a team in Dallas in response to the AFL forming and placing a team in Dallas Texas (a team that later moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs). The Cowboys didn't even participate in that year's draft. The result was an 0-11-1 team (that tie coming against the Giants who Tom Landry coached prior to his hiring in Dallas). The Cowboys were outscored 192 points over only 12 games good for an average of 16 points per game and were both dead last in points scored and points surrendered.

3. 1976 Buccaneers: A strong argument can be made for this being the worst team ever. They were outscored over 20 points per game, they hold the record for worst point differential in NFL history (even worse than any team playing a 16 game season), 8 of their 14 losses were by at least 20 points, and they had more players on IR than TDs scored. However, I am putting them at no. 3 because they were an expansion team back when expansion teams had meager options available to them during the expansion draft (unlike now) while the two teams ranked ahead of them were already established franchises.

2. 2017 Browns: After the 2016 season where Hue Jackson's Browns went 1-15, he boldly predicted that his team wouldn't go 1-15 again otherwise he'd swim in the lake. Technically he was correct in that they didn't go 1-15, unfortunately they went 0-16. To Jackson's credit he did swim in Lake Erie for Charity, which is the one positive from this season. The Browns were dead last in points scored scoring 14.6 ppg in a league where playing offense is cake easy. 3 QBs combined threw passes and combined for a 28 Ints against 15 TDs and a RB was the only player to top 400 receiving yards on the team. The defense also surrendered the 2nd most points in the league (25.6 ppg). Longtime stalwart and their best player since returning to the leage Joe Thomas also suffered a career ending injury.

1. 2008 Lions: Matt Millen's disastrous tenure culminated in the first 0-16 team in NFL history. The Lions surrendered 517 points and had a point differential of -249. 3 QBs started games and 5 QBs threw at least one pass. While both the Browns and the Lions went 0-16 the Lions take the no. 1 spot. Their point differential was worse by -73. Additionally, while the Browns surprisingly only lost by at least 20 points 1x, this Lions team lost 5x by at least 20 points. With that in mind the Lions are the worst team in NFL history

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 10 worst teams in NFL history (in my opinion)

Good list and I would add the Baltimore Colts in 1981. They still have the NFL record for the most points given in a single season with 533!...And I think they have the worst point differential in NFL history for a single season at -274.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/clt/1981.htm

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

"What do you think of your team's execution?" "i'm in favor of it."

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

2006 Raiders.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    2006 Raiders.
    They beat Pittsburgh so, no, they don't belong on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    They beat Pittsburgh so, no, they don't belong on that list.
    with 98 offensive yards!

One of the worst offense ever but their defense was not bad enough to be on this list!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

That's a pretty accurate list - only thing I would change is to add the 2004 49ers somewhere in there. That was the low point of their collapse into absolute incompetence.

Their record says 2-14, which is bad - but the only reason they weren't 0-16 was two overtime wins against the Cardinals (both by the same score, coincidentally). I watched many of their games that year, and it was some of the most miserable football I have ever seen at the professional level. Absolutely nothing worked on offense or on defense, and it wasn't even close. A complete joke.

If you want to hurt your eyes, look for a replay of their game against the Chicago Bears from that year, it was an incredible display of incompetence. Amazingly, the rematch against the Bears the following year was even worse (even though the 49ers "improved" to 4-12). It was definitively the worst football game I have seen in my life.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0511130chi.htm

Even worse, they followed up their 2-14 season by taking Alex Smith with the #1 overall pick instead of Aaron Rodgers.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That's a pretty accurate list - only thing I would change is to add the 2004 49ers somewhere in there. That was the low point of their collapse into absolute incompetence.

Their record says 2-14, which is bad - but the only reason they weren't 0-16 was two overtime wins against the Cardinals (both by the same score, coincidentally). I watched many of their games that year, and it was some of the most miserable football I have ever seen at the professional level. Absolutely nothing worked on offense or on defense, and it wasn't even close. A complete joke.

If you want to hurt your eyes, look for a replay of their game against the Chicago Bears from that year, it was an incredible display of incompetence. Amazingly, the rematch against the Bears the following year was even worse (even though the 49ers "improved" to 4-12). It was definitively the worst football game I have seen in my life.

Even worse, they followed up their 2-14 season by taking Alex Smith with the #1 overall pick instead of Aaron Rodgers.
    The wind in the game between the 49ers and the bears in 2005 were crazy!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    with 98 offensive yards!

One of the worst offense ever but their defense was not bad enough to be on this list!
    They won two games. They definitely deserve to be on that list...lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The wind in the game between the 49ers and the bears in 2005 were crazy!

Oh, you know what then, maybe it was the 2004 game after all. I definitely remember it being a night game that was the one riddled with just plain incompetence, and 2004 was at night. I have no idea what the hell I was doing watching an awful football game on Halloween instead of being out drinking, although maybe that was later.

In any case, they were both pretty bad, but at least the wind game was funny.

edit: It was the 2004 game for sure. I definitely remember Craig Krenzel being in it, and that was his only season.

I swore I remembered Steve Stenstrom being in one of those "worst games ever" too, but that was several years earlier, from another era of shitty 4-12 49ers teams. He had a really special 3-game stretch as a starter where they never scored more than 7 points. Those were a close second for the most miserable games of football I've seen, although in those ones at least the other team played a competent game, not both teams being bottom of the barrel.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Oh, you know what then, maybe it was the 2004 game after all. I definitely remember it being a night game that was the one riddled with just plain incompetence, and 2004 was at night. I have no idea what the hell I was doing watching an awful football game on Halloween instead of being out drinking, although maybe that was later.

In any case, they were both pretty bad, but at least the wind game was funny.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...410310chi.htmà

I am sure that this game was brutal to watch!

The Bears had the worst offense in the league in 2004 too!

The 2020 Jets could be on this list at the end of the year!

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Lot of dreadful teams have embarassed themselves on the football field over 100 seasons. We will look at the 10 worst. Note these will only be single season teams, no multi-year stretches.

10. 1996 New York Jets. Since the merger, the Jets have been one of the most mistake prone franchises in the NFL. The biggest buttfumble of a season this team endured was 1996. The mastermind of this season was the infamous Rich Kotite. They were outscored by 11 points and high-priced free agent Neil O Donnell went winless in 6 starts, proving completely incapable of elevating a team or winning without a stacked supporting cast. Their only win of the season came against the Cardinals in game 9

9. 1980 New Orleans Saints: The Aints! The birth of the paper bags. While the Saints had a myriad of miserable seasons pre-Drew Brees, none were worse than this. The Saints were outscored by nearly 200 points and were dead last in scoring defense. They also set a (since surpassed) NFL record for biggest lead surrendered in a game (28 points against the 49ers). They were the 2nd team in NFL history after the 76 Bucs to start 0-14 and their lone victory was a 1 point win against the 4-12 Jets

8. 1991 Indianapolis Colts: This team was dreadful and their offense was downright unwatchable. The Colts offense scored 143 points over 16 games (a tick under 9 points per game) and scored more than 10 points a mind-blowing 4 times. They also had only 10 passing TDs and 3 rushing TDs. A 28-27 win over the Jets (their lone win of the season) and a 24-33 loss to the Lions represent over a 3rd of the points scored.. Their defense wasn't very good themselves surrendering a tad under 24 points.

7. 1973 Houston Oilers: In 72 and 73, the Oilers had back-back 1-13 seasons. However, the 73 team had both a worse point differential (-248) and worse lone victory (a 31-27 victory over the 4-10 Baltimore Colts). The Oilers surrendered nearly 32 points per game (over 500 points when extrapolated over a 16 game season) in an era when it was pretty difficult to play offense and they lost by double digit points 11 of 14 games. Head coach Bill Peterson was fired and when the great Sid Gillman was hired as the interim coach, not even he could achieve better than a 1-8 record

6. 1990 New England Patriots: 90% of Patriots fans (at least Patriots fans as of 2019) probably don't remember that the Patriots were unsuccessful the majority of their history. Prior to the Bellichick/Brady era, the high point of the franchise involved the Pats serving as sacrificial lambs to the 85 Bears Super Bowl victory. The low point was 1990. The Patriots scored a little over 11 points per game and surrendered a little under 28 points per game. The Patriots lone win was a 16-14 win over the Colts in week 2 and they lost their last 14 games. Fan attendace was also low. For example, in the season finale against the Giants, most of the fans in attendance were Giants fans

5. 2009 St. Louis Rams: This team made Jeff Fisher's Rams teams look like the Greatest Show on Turf, or at least Sean McVay's teams Pre-Super Bowl 53. The offense scored the fewest points (10.9 ppg) and surrendered the 2nd most points in the NFL that year (27.3 ppg) and half of their games were losses by at least 3 possessions. Their lone win ironically was against the Detroit Lions' 2-14 follow-up to their 0-16 season. Steven Jackson (whose career was criminally wasted) accounted for over 30% of the team total yards and a a quarter of the teams TD in rushing alone/

4. 1960 Cowboys: This team's failures can be credited as the result of the NFL quickly placing a team in Dallas in response to the AFL forming and placing a team in Dallas Texas (a team that later moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs). The Cowboys didn't even participate in that year's draft. The result was an 0-11-1 team (that tie coming against the Giants who Tom Landry coached prior to his hiring in Dallas). The Cowboys were outscored 192 points over only 12 games good for an average of 16 points per game and were both dead last in points scored and points surrendered.

3. 1976 Buccaneers: A strong argument can be made for this being the worst team ever. They were outscored over 20 points per game, they hold the record for worst point differential in NFL history (even worse than any team playing a 16 game season), 8 of their 14 losses were by at least 20 points, and they had more players on IR than TDs scored. However, I am putting them at no. 3 because they were an expansion team back when expansion teams had meager options available to them during the expansion draft (unlike now) while the two teams ranked ahead of them were already established franchises.

2. 2017 Browns: After the 2016 season where Hue Jackson's Browns went 1-15, he boldly predicted that his team wouldn't go 1-15 again otherwise he'd swim in the lake. Technically he was correct in that they didn't go 1-15, unfortunately they went 0-16. To Jackson's credit he did swim in Lake Erie for Charity, which is the one positive from this season. The Browns were dead last in points scored scoring 14.6 ppg in a league where playing offense is cake easy. 3 QBs combined threw passes and combined for a 28 Ints against 15 TDs and a RB was the only player to top 400 receiving yards on the team. The defense also surrendered the 2nd most points in the league (25.6 ppg). Longtime stalwart and their best player since returning to the leage Joe Thomas also suffered a career ending injury.

1. 2008 Lions: Matt Millen's disastrous tenure culminated in the first 0-16 team in NFL history. The Lions surrendered 517 points and had a point differential of -249. 3 QBs started games and 5 QBs threw at least one pass. While both the Browns and the Lions went 0-16 the Lions take the no. 1 spot. Their point differential was worse by -73. Additionally, while the Browns surprisingly only lost by at least 20 points 1x, this Lions team lost 5x by at least 20 points. With that in mind the Lions are the worst team in NFL history
    I think you may have left out a few, IMO.

'65 Steelers: 2 and 12

'68 Steelers: 2 and 11

'69 Steelers: 1 and 13

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The 2020 Jets could be on this list at the end of the year!
    I think there is a strong likelihood of that happening. I looked at their remaining schedule and I can't envision 2 wins from a team that lost by 9 at home to Brett Rypien.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think there is a strong likelihood of that happening. I looked at their remaining schedule and I can't envision 2 wins from a team that lost by 9 at home to Brett Rypien.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    I think you may have left out a few, IMO.

'65 Steelers: 2 and 12

'68 Steelers: 2 and 11

'69 Steelers: 1 and 13

You conveniently omit a few:

'70 Patriots: 2-12

'81 Patriots: 2-14

'90 Patriots: 1-15

'92 Patriots: 2-14

Boom goes the dynamite.......

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The 1990 Patriots were absolutely horrible, I think other than their lone win they literally got blown out by every team they faced. From 91 to 92 they were also as equally bad. They did start turning it around when they drafted Bledsoe though

The Bengals in the mid-late 90's were also almost as bad. They seemed to be collecting the #1 draft pick every single season it seemed

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You conveniently omit a few:

'70 Patriots: 2-12

'81 Patriots: 2-14

'90 Patriots: 1-15

'92 Patriots: 2-14

Boom goes the dynamite.......
    Exactly. Just like the Steelers before they had one good team and the bandwagoners jumped on board.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Exactly. Just like the Steelers before they had one good team and the bandwagoners jumped on board.
    Again.....why are you here on this board?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Almost all stayed. 50 years of ups and downs.

I'm an original Steelers fan. No bandwagon jumping for me. They were my first love and I never strayed.

If everything goes sideways for Belichick and the Pats, we'll see how devoted all the fans are. I'm sure they've developed at least a pretty solid base that will stay with the team. Time will tell.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

2005 49ers were coached by Mike Nolan and on the staff Mike McCarthy. Oh look which shitty team those 2 are on now??

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I'm an original Steelers fan. No bandwagon jumping for me. They were my first love and I never strayed.

If everything goes sideways for Belichick and the Pats, we'll see how devoted all the fans are. I'm sure they've developed at least a pretty solid base that will stay with the team. Time will tell.
    Were you a Steeler fan in the 60s? I was a Patriots fan in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. There is nothing special about Steeler fans. They're just like everybody else. No better, no worse. Same with the Patriots fans.

Were you a Steeler fan in the 60s? I was a Patriots fan in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. There is nothing special about Steeler fans. They're just like everybody else. No better, no worse. Same with the Patriots fans.
    Must not be many Pats boards.....or else you’ve gotten thrown off of all of them.....THAT’S IT!!

I can’t lie, when I was little in the 60s, I had a poster of Bubba Smith, and Johnny U, on my walls. I was a Colts fan. The minute Franco was drafted, my Dad said, (He was a PSU graduate, and a season ticket holder for 40 years), you need to take those posters down and put up one of Franco.......I said, “OK”. Steelers fan ever since. Can’t tell you the number of times my dad called Bradshaw a “ bum”. He grew up in Washington PA, just outside of Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Must not be many Pats boards.....or else you’ve gotten thrown off of all of them.....THAT’S IT!!
    Another swing and a miss.

Where did I make the claim that Steelers fans are better than everybody else? I'm only stating the obvious. There's a reason that the world sees a huge Steeler presence in every road stadium they play in.

I was born in the 60's, and the became my team when I was 5 or 6...Even though the Eagles were first in my home. I'm sorry I wasn't a fan for two centuries to impress you.

Why are you so argumentative and why do you troll with every post?

Where did I make the claim that Steelers fans are better than everybody else?
    Good boy. Fans are fans.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Again.....why are you here on this board?
    Sent here to post useless Chimp pics and add zero input to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Sent here to post useless Chimp pics and add zero input to anything.
    I love you man.

Too bad this thread has been ruined....