Thread: Which was your favorite Steelers SuperBowl win?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Which was your favorite Steelers SuperBowl win?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/ga...per-bowl-wins/

I did not see the first 2 Steelers SuperBowls when they happened. I wasn't into football enough then to watch the games on TV(5/6 years old). But I did watch all the rest of them. Obviously they were ALL awesome because the Steelers won, but IF you were to choose which was your favorite, which one sticks out most favorably and why that one?

I think just for sentimental reasons I rank XL higher than most. Ben's first championship, Bus' last game, Cowher getting his big ONE, the return of the Steelers to the podium, so many reasons I enjoyed this win.

SuperBowl 43 was one of the best games I think I ever watched and it was a SuperBowl win for the Steelers only makes it sweeter. Harrison's TD return, Ben's last drive, Santonio's catch after his drop, just the overall excitement created in that game still gets the heart rate up whenever I see highlights.

1980 SuperBowl 14 vs the Rams was the first SuperBowl I watched in which I had an actual rooting interest. The last stand for the first dynasty. I think I remember this game most fondly because it was the first time for me that I felt that pride in the win I had heard everyone else talk about for so many years. I was already a Steelers fan but this was the game that made me understand the depth of being a fan.

SuperBowl 13 was the first time I watched a football game on TV from start to finish. I still didn't know all the rules of the game, any history of the teams, or really even player names. I became a Steelers fan because of this game and I watched the following season every week and that turned into my love for the game itself.

I guess after saying all this my favorite Steelers SuperBowl win was the 1980 SuperBowl14 game vs the Rams. You just can't top that feeling as a kid watching your team win it all. IF I had to pick a favorite.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: Which was your favorite Steelers SuperBowl win?

43 was a very interesting year and the super bowl was the most exciting game I ever watched. All year the Steelers were coming from behind late in games. The Super Bowl was the same scenario. That was a great game to cap off an equally exciting season.
    Before that super bowl 10 was the 1st really exciting super bowl. So many great catches and big plays I really loved this one as well.
    Super Bowl 13 was really a blow out in the 4th quarter but the Steelers let the Cowboys make it interesting in the end. Thankfully not to interesting.
    9 was a dominant performance by the D and the 1st so it to was special.
    14 was much tighter than expected but now I know why. The Rams had a couple of ex Steeler coaches so they put up a fight. Faragamo had a Damn good game, but threw a pick at a critical time and the Steelers made the Rams pay for it.
    40 was a very sloppy game we should have played a lot better. I believe that Cowher had Ben on edge by telling him things like don't screw this up. It still had it's moments FWPs run and the flee flicker, but over all a sloppy game. I was just glad we finally won for the thumb.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I only saw the last two superbowl that the steelers won and they are good on any special but if I chose one it was in 2005, because I wanted to see Cowher and Bettis win the super bowl and do that with winning 3 road games in the playoffs(first team ever at this time to win the super bowl with 3 road playoffs game) was very special!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

2008, the Harrison INT return and the Ben to Holmes play were some of the best plays I’ve seen. Harrison’s return was crazy and the last TD was an impossible throw and catch

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I watched the first four. But, I was too young to understand anything beyond my parents cheering (and me following suit).

The final run to XL was great: starting with Bettis trucking Urlacher ... all the way through the AFCCG. If there had not been a bye week, we blow out the Seahawks by 28. That extra week forced the Steelers calm down, and allowed Cowher time to freak out/scare Ben. SUMMATION: The season itself was amazing, but the Super Bowl was merely “okay”.

XLIII was the best game I’ve ever watched. Period.

Lastly, if the Steelers had pulled off the upset in XXX, it would have been my favorite. Bam was running wild. After the first quarter, the vaunted Dallas offense couldn’t move within scoring range (on their own), exemplified by Kirkland playing at an MVP level. And then...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Super Bowl 43

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

My favorite will always be XIII

Going against the hated Cowgirls, who were defending champs and these were the 2 best teams.

Big plays all over the field.

If you watch the 90 minute documentary about the game and the America's Game 1978 episode, it gives a big perspective on how the 2 teams hated each other.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

43 had everything, except for a hated rival. It's my favorite, but I wish I'd been old enough to grasp what was going on in those early ones against the Cowboys - I suspect that if you were living in it, those would've been like an Ali-Frazier fight.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I watched the first four. But, I was too young to understand anything beyond my parents cheering (and me following suit).

The final run to XL was great: starting with Bettis trucking Urlacher ... all the way through the AFCCG. If there had not been a bye week, we blow out the Seahawks by 28. That extra week forced the Steelers calm down, and allowed Cowher time to freak out/scare Ben. SUMMATION: The season itself was amazing, but the Super Bowl was merely “okay”.

XLIII was the best game I’ve ever watched. Period.

Lastly, if the Steelers had pulled off the upset in XXX, it would have been my favorite. Bam was running wild. After the first quarter, the vaunted Dallas offense couldn’t move within scoring range (on their own), exemplified by Kirkland playing at an MVP level. And then...
    Kirkland was a beast in that game. If we pulled off the win he would have likely been MVP. He was all over the field and Emmitt Smith was shut down (something pretty much no other team has ever done)

I honestly thought the team had momentum on its side, but freakin' O'Donnell man...

If we pulled off the win that would have easily been my favorite SB. If anything it would have shut up those annoying ass bandwagon Dallas fans (and there were a LOT), in the 90s they were just every bit as obnoxious as the NE fans are now

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

13 by a nose over 43.
    As posted above, at that time, Steelers-Cowboys was like Ali-Frazier.
    43 was an unbelievable game. When Fitz took it to the house I was sure we were going to lose.
    Then, Ben and Santonio pull it out. Unbelievable finish.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Super X is the first one I can remember. Vaguely. Super Bowl XII (Broncos/Cowboys) is the first one I remember vividly and Super Bowl XII and XIV are the two Steelers Super Bowls I can remember vividly, as in clips from the game and where I was when I watched them.

I think my favorite has to be between XL and XLIII...with the slight edge (because of dramatics) going to XLIII. XL was so good though and Hines getting MVP was the icing on the cake for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

None of them...lol. Please, forgive me!

Senior Member Array title="hwalker84 will become famous soon enough">

2006 and 2009 were the only one's I was alive for. For me it's easy... 2009 because I was there.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Definitely 43. That was an awesome game. I remember the heartbreak when the Cardinals took that lead, and then the pure elation when Ben hit Holmes for the toe tap TD in the endzone to seal the deal. That was just an awesome game all around, even if it was an emotional roller coaster.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I'll sum my favorite SB win up with a picture.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

SB XL. Not because of the game - the game kinda sucked, but it had been sooo looong of a drought, almost 30 years since their last title. Also, I happened to be in Denver for the AFCCG that year. To see them take it all when they were underdogs in every single post-season game was still more satisfying than 43, even though 43 was one of the all-time great SB games ever played.

SB XL just meant more to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    SB XL. Not because of the game - the game kinda sucked, but it had been sooo looong of a drought, almost 30 years since their last title. Also, I happened to be in Denver for the AFCCG that year. To see them take it all when they were underdogs in every single post-season game was still more satisfying than 43, even though 43 was one of the all-time great SB games ever played.

SB XL just meant more to me.
    Yeah I agree,When I said 2005, it was for their run overall, but not for the game ... Of course in 2008, the super bowl was much better especially at the end! ... And to Win against the very good ravens team 3 times were also special, but being the first team to win the super bowl with 3 road playoffs game was even more special!...And it was special that finaly Bettis and Cowher have their ring.

And I wish I had experienced Super Bowl 13 when Bradshaw had a monster game after a cowboy player said that Bradshaw was too dumb before the Super Bowl!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I'll sum my favorite SB win up with a picture.

Underrated Super Bowl. Nearly broke my mom's vase on that pass jumping up and down.

As Butch mentioned, now I know why they struggled in that game. Rams had some former Steeler assistant coaches on their side. But they had a good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Underrated Super Bowl. Nearly broke my mom's vase on that pass jumping up and down.

As Butch mentioned, now I know why they struggled in that game. Rams had some former Steeler assistant coaches on their side. But they had a good defense.
    And the rams had always played tough against the steelers in the 1970s ... They had beaten the steelers in 1975 and 1978 ... The steelers had only 2 losses in his two years and one of his 2 losses was against the rams.Funny also that before 1979, the rams had make so many NFC title game but never been in the super bowl but in 1979, it was finally the year they were even if they were only 9-7.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

XIII because it was in Miami

All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Jumping up and down was the same reaction I had to that play as well!

Yep, Bud Carson was the Rams' DC by then, and he had a big hand in coaching up the Steel Curtain previously. Vince Ferragamo played surprisingly well also - the Rams really brought it as a team in that game (see: Jack Youngblood playing on a broken leg). I know I was super nervous until Lambert picked off Ferragamo late in the game.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

13; Steelers at the pinnacle of their dynasty taking on the defending champs, total back and forth, still remember Bradshaw getting stripped sacked and Hegman(?) rumbling for the go ahead score early - as a little kid i felt at that moment my team was going to be screwed. then Bradshaw comes back with beautiful passes to Stallworth and Swann. Then the cowboys comeback with the fortunate drop by the cowboys TE in the endzone. Just an emotional game. Steelers and Cowboys were pretty evenly matched.

the Rams super bowl game was anticlimactic, We were clearly better, Rams just put up a good fight.

43 i missed cause i was on a plain, i have a feeling that would have been right up there with 13.

40 was not Ben's best game, maybe similar to 9 (which was before my Steelers fandom began)

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Jumping up and down was the same reaction I had to that play as well!

Yep, Bud Carson was the Rams' DC by then, and he had a big hand in coaching up the Steel Curtain previously. Vince Ferragamo played surprisingly well also - the Rams really brought it as a team in that game (see: Jack Youngblood playing on a broken leg). I know I was super nervous until Lambert picked off Ferragamo late in the game.
    Rams WR coach was Lionel Taylor who was the WR coach of the Steelers in the early/mid 70s. Their defense was underrated and shut down Franco and Rocky. Ferragamo was a one hit wonder and then left for the CFL.