Thread: No NFL teams, including Steelers, will be going away for training camp in 2020

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

No NFL teams, including Steelers, will be going away for training camp in 2020

For the first time since 1966, the Pittsburgh Steelers won’t be going to Saint Vincent College for training camp.

In fact, the Steelers, like all other NFL teams, won’t be traveling anywhere for camp because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The NFL told teams on Tuesday to conduct training camp at their on-site facilities, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter. For the Steelers, that means workouts will be held at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex on the South Side.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: No NFL teams, including Steelers, will be going away for training camp in 2020

Are hot air balloons and backhoes still allowed?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: No NFL teams, including Steelers, will be going away for training camp in 2020

What team tries to make a case to go elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I wonder if some teams don't ever go to camp again? I mean really why leave your modern state of the art football palace to go to a crappy dormitory to "team build"?

I know. I know. Camaraderie. Chemistry. Bonding. Whatever. Football is a place where stuff just gets done a certain way because it has always been done that way and everyone is terrified of changing in case they don't win enough and then the entire internet explodes into a frothing rage that if only the "2021 Steelers had gone to a traditional training camp they would have won all the things".

Look at simple things. Guys get hurt at camps and they ferry them back to team headquarters for diagnosis/treatment. Teams use all kinds of whiz/bang tech to teach and install game plans during the season that don't exist at training camp sites.

But what do I know? Not a lot. I strongly believe that most corporate meetings are totally unnecessary and could be done using digital collaboration tools. So, I'm biased...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'm not sure what the big deal is about traveling, when the situation is the same everywhere, and you're doing exactly the same thing when you get there either way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I'm not sure what the big deal is about traveling, when the situation is the same everywhere, and you're doing exactly the same thing when you get there either way.
    I suspect that is the communal living during most training camps. But yeah, does that really matter after a football practice session?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I suspect that is the communal living during most training camps. But yeah, does that really matter after a football practice session?
    That is why I have my doubts the NFL season is going to last more than a couple weeks. Unlike baseball or hockey, there is NO way to play the game while following all these medical protocol, or even close. They are either going to have to say "fuck it, we are just going to ignore it," or they might as well pack it in for the year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That is why I have my doubts the NFL season is going to last more than a couple weeks. Unlike baseball or hockey, there is NO way to play the game while following all these medical protocol, or even close. They are either going to have to say "fuck it, we are just going to ignore it," or they might as well pack it in for the year.
    I think the NBA will be a good proxy for if it is even remotely possible. But even that has less contact than the NFL. I think the NFL is just hoping the problem solves itself one way or the other and then they don't have to be responsible for a decision.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That stinks. I like training camp at St. Vincent's

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How hot does it need to get to end flu season?

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I wonder if some teams don't ever go to camp again? I mean really why leave your modern state of the art football palace to go to a crappy dormitory to "team build"?

I know. I know. Camaraderie. Chemistry. Bonding. Whatever. Football is a place where stuff just gets done a certain way because it has always been done that way and everyone is terrified of changing in case they don't win enough and then the entire internet explodes into a frothing rage that if only the "2021 Steelers had gone to a traditional training camp they would have won all the things".

Look at simple things. Guys get hurt at camps and they ferry them back to team headquarters for diagnosis/treatment. Teams use all kinds of whiz/bang tech to teach and install game plans during the season that don't exist at training camp sites.

But what do I know? Not a lot. I strongly believe that most corporate meetings are totally unnecessary and could be done using digital collaboration tools. So, I'm biased...
    I understand your point and not saying you are wrong by any means.
    I guess for me I always thought of it as a way to experience the way things used to be. Maybe it is lost on some but I at least like the idea of players having a little bit of a connection to the roots of what football was. I like the tradition and if it does go away I will miss it. I will understand why it changed, but still miss it.

I think the NBA will be a good proxy for if it is even remotely possible. But even that has less contact than the NFL. I think the NFL is just hoping the problem solves itself one way or the other and then they don't have to be responsible for a decision.
    Even then, ultimately it will come down to what the players think. Can't force them to play if they don't want to. But, the rewards of playing are enough that many may be in favor of it. "Fuck it, we knowingly assume the risk, just like with concussions." Especially if more evidence keeps mounting over the summer months that it is not much of a danger to a professional athlete. Stay tuned, I guess?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

From what I understand only about ten teams still actually go away to camp. And some of those ten go to training areas only a few miles away from their headquarters. But, as long as the Rooney's own the team, I think they will go St Vincent again starting next year. Otherwise, God will be angry and send Franco's Army and Rocky's flying Squirrel's to exact retribution

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

sure am gonna miss this ....................

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now