Thread: Steven Nelson Ranked 6th Best Man Coverage Corner

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steven Nelson Ranked 6th Best Man Coverage Corner

There’s no question Steven Nelson had a fantastic 2019 for the Pittsburgh Steelers, his first in black and gold. And he’s deservedly, finally, receiving some national love from the press.

Touchdown Wire’s Doug Farrar ranked the league’s best man coverage cornerbacks. Nelson ranked 6th best for his shutdown ability. Here’s what Farrar wrote:

“Pittsburgh’s coverage abilities improved exponentially as the 2019 season went along, and a prior glaring weakness became an obvious strength…Steven Nelson’s maturation as a coverage star helped, as well. This was especially true in man coverage, where he allowed only eight catches on 26 targets for 107 yards. Nelson didn’t have any interceptions in man coverage, but he didn’t allow any touchdowns, and no cornerback with at least 20 man coverage targets had a lower Positive Play Rate allowed than his 23.1%.”

Farrar’s commentary is spot on here and in-line with the numbers we posted in our defensive charting. According to our numbers, which included man and zone coverage, here is the QBs stat line when targeting Nelson: 23 completions, 44 attempts (52.3% completion rate) 323 yards, 0 TDs 1 INT. And an overall QB rating of 66.8. Excellent numbers across the board.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/st...verage-corner/

And this stats is for both zone and man coverage.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steven Nelson Ranked 6th Best Man Coverage Corner

Some of us here have been saying this for a long time. Nice of SteelersDepot to catch up...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Signing Nelson was an A+ signing.

Nobody expected he would have played like a shut down corner.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Isn't it nice having guys like Nelson and Haden?

I remember the Ross Cockrell, and Valentino Blake years (Vietnam-esque Flashbacks kick in)

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As I posted towards the end of the regular season, if one blindly lines up all of the stats (including DVOAs) of the All Po and/or Pro Bowl corners in the entire league, you could not pick out Nelson’s from the rest.

SUMMATION:
    He’s one of the best... even though we do not hear about him.