Thread: Hiring Randy Fichtner The ‘Easiest Phone Call I’ve Ever Made,’ Says Tomlin

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Hiring Randy Fichtner The ‘Easiest Phone Call I’ve Ever Made,’ Says Tomlin

This website probably doesn’t have a whole lot of Randy Fichtner stans on it. But Mike Tomlin, clearly, is a phone. Sitting down with John Calipari on Coffee with Cal, a fantastic interview you should check out, Tomlin recalled the day he hired Fichtner.

“If you know Randy like I know Randy,” Tomlin said. “Being in this coaching profession, personalities like his, tireless workers, you can’t have enough Randy Fichtners. That was the easiest phone call I’ve ever made.”

Tomlin hired Fichtner to be the Steelers’ WR coach in 2007. Fichtner has climbed up the ladder since, promoted to QBs coach in 2010 before replacing Todd Haley as offensive coordinator in 2018.

The two have deep ties, coaching together – along with DC Keith Butler – at Memphis in 1996.

Hiring Fichtner was easy but getting him on the phone to accept his first NFL job proved a bit more difficult.

“Quite honestly, he didn’t answer. I had to leave a message. I said, ‘I got the job and so do you.'”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/hi...e-says-tomlin/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Hiring Randy Fichtner The ‘Easiest Phone Call I’ve Ever Made,’ Says Tomlin

Interesting. Calipari is a huge Steelers fan. I'll have to watch.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Wrong number.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Wrong number.
    Bwahahaha

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wrong number.
    Drop the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Wrong number.
    Tomlin trying to get Fichtner on the phone.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Tomlin trying to get Fichtner on the phone.

Oh, now...that’s all kinds of wrong......and I watched the whole thing.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Oh, now...that’s all kinds of wrong......and I watched the whole thing.

I was wondering if anyone would watch the whole thing! I wanted a clip of just the phone call, but this was all they had.

I immediately thought of this movie scene. Man, I'm getting old!

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

I'll give Fichtner the benefit of the doubt for last season with Ben going down and him only having Rudolph and Hodges to work with. Watching film of Rudolph from last season, and he was pretty terrible. The QB play definitely hindered the offense and left Fichtner with limited options. If he stinks it up this season with Ben, then I'll be singing a different tune.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Fichtner was instrumental, was 'The Guy' that developed Santonio Holmes, made Mike Wallace a threat while a Steeler, and transformed AB into what we saw and loved 'ON THE FIELD' for so many seasons. I say just like with Butler, let Fichtner get HIS personnel and see what he can do with this offense. It CANNOT get any worse than 2019.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Fichtner was instrumental, was 'The Guy' that developed Santonio Holmes, made Mike Wallace a threat while a Steeler, and transformed AB into what we saw and loved 'ON THE FIELD' for so many seasons. I say just like with Butler, let Fichtner get HIS personnel and see what he can do with this offense. It CANNOT get any worse than 2019.

2020 says hold my beer.