Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Super Bowls would the steelers have won in the 1980s and 1990s with Dan Marino?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: How many Super Bowls would the steelers have won in the 1980s and 1990s with Dan Marino?

The Bears could have had Mahomes. Heck, the Bears could have had Watson. Instead... they traded up for Trubisky. SMFH

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: How many Super Bowls would the steelers have won in the 1980s and 1990s with Dan Marino?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Bears could have had Mahomes. Heck, the Bears could have had Watson. Instead... they traded up for Trubisky. SMFH
    It will haunt the Bears forever!

Especially as I said, the last time the bears had a QB franchise was in the 1940s.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Hey he was the "Funky QB"
    His Super Bowl week "moon" was memorable.

My gawd - that was my senior year of high school.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

When the Bears lost Buddy Ryan it was all over. Yes they were basically the same team but that d was never the same.
    Yes they were lucky not to see the dolphins in the SB
    Marino had a quick release and that was the key to beating the Bears rush. Not only that but Singleterry was a liability in pass coverage. Marino would have had a great opportunity to beat them if they could have made it to the big dance.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    His Super Bowl week "moon" was memorable.

My gawd - that was my senior year of high school.
    Same here. I remember us talking about it w/the high school teachers (History and Psych teachers were both asst coaches and next door classrooms) the MNF game when The Fridge played FB. They were talking about putting our own fat guy NT at RB lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The point about the Bears is that the '85 Bears are often brought up as possibly the most dominant single season of all time. Yet that same group of guys got smoked by the competition in their own conference 4 times out of 5. The NFC was REALLY GOOD throughout most of Marino's career. Besides the Bears, there were 3 or 4 other NFC teams that were just stacked for most of that stretch, and it would've been hard to beat any of them.

I suppose if we'd made it into 3 or 4 Super Bowls, there would have been a decent chance at winning a couple of them because anything can happen in one game. Then again, maybe not. But I do agree with the point early on about how drafting Marino would have made it difficult to build the same team. Not because of different draft picks, but because we were at a disadvantage in resources over that 15-year stretch. So we would've either ended up with a worse version of the 49ers if we focused on offense, or a worse version of the Giants if we focused on defense. So basically the equivalent of the Broncos or else a slightly different version of the Steelers of that time that was not as good at defense.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The point about the Bears is that the '85 Bears are often brought up as possibly the most dominant single season of all time. Yet that same group of guys got smoked by the competition in their own conference 4 times out of 5. The NFC was REALLY GOOD throughout most of Marino's career. Besides the Bears, there were 3 or 4 other NFC teams that were just stacked for most of that stretch, and it would've been hard to beat any of them.

I suppose if we'd made it into 3 or 4 Super Bowls, there would have been a decent chance at winning a couple of them because anything can happen in one game. Then again, maybe not. But I do agree with the point early on about how drafting Marino would have made it difficult to build the same team. Not because of different draft picks, but because we were at a disadvantage in resources over that 15-year stretch. So we would've either ended up with a worse version of the 49ers if we focused on offense, or a worse version of the Giants if we focused on defense. So basically the equivalent of the Broncos or else a slightly different version of the Steelers of that time that was not as good at defense.
    That’s a darn good summary. Winning a championship is just really damn difficult. Marino as a Steeler would have certainly been a vast improvement but no guaranteed SB success.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Same here. I remember us talking about it w/the high school teachers (History and Psych teachers were both asst coaches and next door classrooms) the MNF game when The Fridge played FB. They were talking about putting our own fat guy NT at RB lol.
    Dude, did they coach AND play, though?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Dude, did they coach AND play, though?
    That guy is getting close to angrychair fame. Never gets old.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

lol my brother is a hardcore chiefs fan since 1990 and a few of his best friends are all bears fans. He torments them 24-7 about tribusky

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They could have traded down for both too

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    They could have traded down for both too
    That pick/trade has to be just shooting up the all time poor decisions lists.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

We did get Woodley? lol

Seriously, tragic life after football, rip.