Biggest Busts In Steelers History: CB Senquez Golson

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Biggest Busts In Steelers History: CB Senquez Golson

Senquez was simply too small and fragile for the NFL

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Size isn't really an issue.

Fragility is a real big one.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

honestly ill never bemoan this pick thanks to Mike Hilton. As far as im concerned, he IS senquez golson. Similiar stature, came out of Mississippi not long after golson, extremely aggressive closing speed, and plays in the slot.

we've invested a lot in the CB position the past few years and i think we all know were going to get outbidded for Hilton next year but im going to miss him
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Injury does not = bust

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Injury does not = bust

I agree. I consider health to be a completely different category. Being healthy and not being good enough to live up to being a high draft pick is way different than suffering serious injury and being unable to perform at a high level or at all.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Golson never played. He got injured in camp. It’s hard to say if he was too small to play in the NFL.

Coming out of the draft, Mayock, Kiper, and several others thought that Golson was the best slot CB. So, there’s that.

As PsychoWard stated: we got the same type of player (slot CB) from the same school (Ole Miss) when we picked up Mike Hilton.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Speaking of injuries that ended careers, I’d have loved to have seen what Sean Spence would have become.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Speaking of injuries that ended careers, I’d have loved to have seen what Sean Spence would have become.

....or Ryan Shazier. Damn....he would have been incredible for another 7 or 8 years. I'm talking about in the conversation for defensive MVP kind of incredible. Imagine having Shazier and Watt in their prime at the same time! Oh my goodness!

I always think about what could have been.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree. I consider health to be a completely different category. Being healthy and not being good enough to live up to being a high draft pick is way different than suffering serious injury and being unable to perform at a high level or at all.
    Agreed. The kid had a shoulder injury as a rookie so they basically redshirted him on IR, but then had a Lisfranc foot fracture his 2nd season, which can be career ending for many athletes who have to run to make a living.

But I love how the non athletic keyboard warriors love to make judgement on somebody that was drafted into 2 professional leagues as a bust, while I bet the player didn't choose to be injured.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I know you and I were a couple of many that saw him on film at Miami and noticed how he diagnosed plays out and just flew to the football. Its similar type reaction that Devin Bush had and I think both of those guys were students of the game and film junkies. I thought Vinny98 and Spence were gonna be the ILB tandem for a while until his knee got blown up. Happy he was able to walk and play some after that injury.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Bill Parcells once said that your best ability is your availability. Yes it was unfortunate that he never managed to be healthy but it doesn't change the fact that the draft pick was a major miss and hurt the team. Entering 2015, upgrading the secondary was crucial and this was their highest pick to address the secondary. A 2nd round draft pick never plays a game, especially when it attempts to address your most crucial need, yeah I think this belongs

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Bill Parcells once said that your best ability is your availability. Yes it was unfortunate that he never managed to be healthy but it doesn't change the fact that the draft pick was a major miss and hurt the team. Entering 2015, upgrading the secondary was crucial and this was their highest pick to address the secondary. A 2nd round draft pick never plays a game, especially when it attempts to address your most crucial need, yeah I think this belongs
    Maybe but the steelers were unlucky on this pick.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Maybe but the steelers were unlucky on this pick.
    Maybe Senquez Golson was unlucky in breaking his foot, as he could have played MLB or NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Maybe Senquez Golson was unlucky in breaking his foot, as he could have played MLB or NFL.
    Yeah,I agree that Golson was unlucky.I don't think he was a injury prone in the college too.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, I know you and I were a couple of many that saw him on film at Miami and noticed how he diagnosed plays out and just flew to the football. Its similar type reaction that Devin Bush had and I think both of those guys were students of the game and film junkies. I thought Vinny98 and Spence were gonna be the ILB tandem for a while until his knee got blown up. Happy he was able to walk and play some after that injury.
    100% I was so happy about getting that “steal” in R3. Then... one of the most heartbreaking injuries I’ve seen (until Shazier).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'd put Artie Burns as a much bigger bust than Golson. Not even close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

“Senquez Golson” were my least favorite word combination for several seasons...it seemed Like a portion of the fan base always fell back on “when he gets healthy”...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Spence definitely had his career cut short, I have to agree, I think he might've been something if not for the injury bug.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
    Spence definitely had his career cut short, I have to agree, I think he might've been something if not for the injury bug.

Great to see you here Iowa!

I would have loved to see how he would have turned out as a player if he hadn't suffered a severe injury.

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Great to see you here Iowa!

I would have loved to see how he would have turned out as a player if he hadn't suffered a severe injury.
    Thanks brother! I like to slip in every once and awhile, SX hasn't seen as much traffic with it being the offseason and all the craziness going on with COVID and everything else so I thought I'd make my way over here. I might stick around this time lol, I say that, then I get busy and distracted... We shall see.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Indeed

(Good to see you posting.)

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd put Artie Burns as a much bigger bust than Golson. Not even close.
    As far as busts go, it's hard to beat not even getting on the field.

However, for a select few like Burns, it is actually WORSE that they did play, because their performance was bad enough to cancel out a good player somewhere else, and also set back the search for the real starter at his position by at least a couple years.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Indeed

(Good to see you posting.)
    Thanks Teeg, good to see you again man! Hope life is treating you well.

Thanks Teeg, good to see you again man! Hope life is treating you well.
    Life is always good, brother... but seeing you makes even better.

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

Steelers just suck at drafting DB's..... they need better scouts in that dept or something...Funny that Steven Nelson was in the same draft and went 1 round later..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Marvel View Post
    Steelers just suck at drafting DB's..... they need better scouts in that dept or something...Funny that Steven Nelson was in the same draft and went 1 round later..
    At least they are much better in free agency for the CB position...