Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diontae Johnson is good... really, really good

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Diontae Johnson is good... really, really good

Here is my weekly reminder/stat of the week about how good DJ truly is.

Of the 92 passes that were thrown in DJ’s direction, only 65 were considered “catchable.” Yet, DJ still managed to catch 91% of them.

SUMMATION:
    Ben throwing to DJ will be exciting to watch.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Diontae Johnson is good... really, really good

He and Devin Bush are going to have a big breakout season if of course Ben is healthy in the case of Johnson.I'll be the last surprised if he has over 1,000 yards in 2020.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    He and Devin Bush are going to have a big breakout season if of course Ben is healthy in the case of Johnson.I'll be the last surprised if he has over 1,000 yards in 2020.
    My prediction for each of those receivers:

DJ: 95 for 1300, 13 YDs
    JuJu: 115 for 1300, 10 TDs

DJ will have more “splash” plays, while JuJu consistently moves the chains.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

No doubt in my mind that the steelers could have 2 number 1 WR in their team .... Maybe not top 5 in the NFL, but still very good!

James Washington is also underrated, he was very good in the second half of the season in 2019 ... And we will see for our rookie that we have drafted in the second round ... This WR core reminds me of our receivers that the steelers had in 2010 ... A question mark for some before the season but a strength during the season!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Switzer

13 catches 14 yards

Money

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No doubt in my mind that the steelers could have 2 number 1 WR in their team .... Maybe not top 5 in the NFL, but still very good!

James Washington is also underrated, he was very good in the second half of the season in 2019 ... And we will see for our rookie that we have drafted in the second round ... This WR core reminds me of our receivers that the steelers had in 2010 ... A question mark for some before the season but a strength during the season!
    Indeed

I could see Washington’s stats being something weird (but good)... as in: he’ll only catch deep passes: 25 for 400 yards, 8 TDs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Switzer

13 catches 14 yards

Money

Plus, when we add in the penalty yards (from him reversing field twice), it’s a net of -65 yards.

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

I have been telling anyone who will listen to me that Dionte will be THE breakout wr in the NFL this year. Monster year coming up.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Switzer
    13 catches 14 yards
    Money
    as a punt returner, I predict:

13 fair catches for 0 yards.

no fumbles, dude is money.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Switzer

13 catches 14 yards

Money

No Ben will look for Switzer when he is in the game.

I think it will be more like 45 receptions for 95 yards.

I don't want to talk about Switzer in this thread please!!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Switzer

13 catches 14 yards

Money

Maybe we can keep Switzer as a short yardage WR. Guaranteed 1 yard on 3rd and 1

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Maybe we can keep Switzer as a short yardage WR. Guaranteed 1 yard on 3rd and 1
    That’s because we can’t get 1 yard via run with our RBs and are forced to throw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Indeed

I could see Washington’s stats being something weird (but good)... as in: he’ll only catch deep passes: 25 for 400 yards, 8 TDs.

- - - Updated - - -

That could totally be Claypool as well! Im game
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Of the 92 passes that were thrown in DJ’s direction, only 65 were considered “catchable.” Yet, DJ still managed to catch 91% of them.

SUMMATION:

Diontae Johnson has a chance to be special. He is already so good from a route running and understanding of the game standpoint, that it's scary.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    Apologies for the skepticism. But if 37 passes thrown to Johnson were considered un-catchable, then how did he catch them? Who deemed them un-catchable and by what criteria?

Any good WR lives by the credo that if they can touch it, they can catch it, so I find it hard to comprehend how somebody can catch a football that is not "catchable". Unless the criteria is something rather generous.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Apologies for the skepticism. But if 37 passes thrown to Johnson were considered un-catchable, then how did he catch them? Who deemed them un-catchable and by what criteria?

Any good WR lives by the credo that if they can touch it, they can catch it, so I find it hard to comprehend how somebody can catch a football that is not "catchable". Unless the criteria is something rather generous.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think that reads 65 of the 92 targets to Johnson were considered catchable balls. Of those 65 catchable balls, Johnson caught 91% of them. I think the "still managed" confused the message.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think that reads 65 of the 92 targets to Johnson were considered catchable balls. Of those 65 catchable balls, Johnson caught 91% of them. I think the "still managed" confused the message.
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I saw somewhere that he had around a 3% drop rate and that is good considering that I think one of the comments on him coming out of college was he had some focus drops and wasn't going to be a guy that out dueled the defender for balls in the air.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I saw somewhere that he had around a 3% drop rate and that is good considering that I think one of the comments on him coming out of college was he had some focus drops and wasn't going to be a guy that out dueled the defender for balls in the air.
    That is correct. I apologize for the confusion.

59 receptions on 65 catchable balls is 91% catch percentage. The ultimate point was that DJ was targeted about 90 times, but only 2/3 of those attempts were catchable. I’m assuming that if Ben attempts 92 passes, 90 of them will be catchable. Using math... carry the one... that translates to about 82 receptions.

Please, where did you see about the 3% drop rate? Please, post it. Because, it seems like people want to focus on the doom & gloom, while simultaneously ignoring the positives about this team (i.e. Diontae Johnson).

Please, where did you see about the 3% drop rate? Please, post it. Because, it seems like people want to focus on the doom & gloom, while simultaneously ignoring the positives about this team (i.e. Diontae Johnson).
    Its here. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/diontae-johnson/

-88% true catch rate. He catches 88% of catchable attempts
    -3.3% drop rate
    -16.7% contested catch rate. He caught 1 of the 6 contested catch attempts that he had.

Basically he catches stuff pretty good when he gets open, isn't going to out duel defenders for contested catches often and will drop one now and then, but its not that bad.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Its here. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/diontae-johnson/

-88% true catch rate. He catches 88% of catchable attempts
    -3.3% drop rate
    -16.7% contested catch rate. He caught 1 of the 6 contested catch attempts that he had.

Basically he catches stuff pretty good when he gets open, isn't going to out duel defenders for contested catches often and will drop one now and then, but its not that bad.
    Not that bad for a rookie with two of the worst QBs in the league throwing him the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Not that bad for a rookie with two of the worst QBs in the league throwing him the ball.
    True, but if you take his yardage in the air and break it down to the per completion average, the average pass he caught was 6.5 yards from the LOS. He got lots of the quick passes, short passes and check downs, as did Samuels from what we can remember during the season.

There is a good chance that if Ben is back and healthy, that there might be longer completions to other receivers and TE's and there will not be some drastic increase in the # of receptions that Johnson gets.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Antonio Brown
    I never underestimate Colbert’s ability to pick receivers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s a little scary. He played with a sports hernia but got better as the season went on...he may be really, REALLY good...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The Corn Shucking Hippie Array title="IowaSteeler927 is a name known to all"> IowaSteeler927's Avatar

He played injured for the majority of the season and still managed to lead rookie receivers in receptions, and that was with Rudolph and Hodges throwing him the ball. I expect a big leap with Ben back under center, and Johnson being in year two. Sky is the limit for this kid.
    Last edited by IowaSteeler927; 05-28-2020 at 03:19 PM.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Drama Queen!!!!!!

Always playing up his injuries.

Oh... I'm sorry I thought this was a Big Ben thread.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Drama Queen!!!!!!

Always playing up his injuries.

Oh... I'm sorry I thought this was a Big Ben thread.

No, you need to blame Ben for the injuries to DJ and declare that the "window" is closing and then Beavers.