Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our window is still open, just barely. 2021 is the year it slams shut.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Our window is still open, just barely. 2021 is the year it slams shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Simplest explanation is he is a LT. He played LT throughout his college career. Rarely do OTs have success switching sides from college to NFL. Maybe Gray is the exception?
    Offensive linemen switch positions and sides all the time. Mostly due to limitations of their size, athleticism that translate differently from college to pro speed of the game, but some due to flexibility. Derwin Gray IMO, doesn't have the quickness to play LT consistently vs elite pass rushers in the NFL...he may be better at RT or Guard, but the Steelers list him as a OT.

-Marcus Gilbert played both guard spots at Florida as a sophomore, then RT as a Junior and LT his final year.
    -Marvel Smith played LT at Arizona, then RT at the Steelers for a couple seasons and moved to LT when Wayne Gandy moved on
    -Cameron Erving played mostly LT at Fla State, including first 9 games of his senior year before moving to center and drafted in round 1
    -Trent Williams played RT in Oklahoma because Phil Loadholt was playing LT
    -Max Starks played RT, RG and LT at Univ of Florida and both tackle spots in the NFL

IMO, Chukks is the hopeful LT of the future due to his athleticism and size. Banner had decent feet for such a large guy and could show well enough to have the Steelers extend him a contract to play RT. Gray has long enough arms and decent enough feet to match the pass protection efficiency of Banner at RT, or just be a reserve swing OT. I really doubt anybody would project him to start at LT. Dotson is on a cheap contract, so he should look to compete for LG spot in 2021 and Feiler is a cap casualty.

This Steeler O line group has lots of talent. Much more than compared to the 2007-ish era teams.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Offensive linemen switch positions and sides all the time. Mostly due to limitations of their size, athleticism that translate differently from college to pro speed of the game, but some due to flexibility. Derwin Gray IMO, doesn't have the quickness to play LT consistently vs elite pass rushers in the NFL...he may be better at RT or Guard, but the Steelers list him as a OT.

-Marcus Gilbert played both guard spots at Florida as a sophomore, then RT as a Junior and LT his final year.
    -Marvel Smith played LT at Arizona, then RT at the Steelers for a couple seasons and moved to LT when Wayne Gandy moved on
    -Cameron Erving played mostly LT at Fla State, including first 9 games of his senior year before moving to center and drafted in round 1
    -Trent Williams played RT in Oklahoma because Phil Loadholt was playing LT
    -Max Starks played RT, RG and LT at Univ of Florida and both tackle spots in the NFL

IMO, Chukks is the hopeful LT of the future due to his athleticism and size. Banner had decent feet for such a large guy and could show well enough to have the Steelers extend him a contract to play RT. Gray has long enough arms and decent enough feet to match the pass protection efficiency of Banner at RT, or just be a reserve swing OT. I really doubt anybody would project him to start at LT. Dotson is on a cheap contract, so he should look to compete for LG spot in 2021 and Feiler is a cap casualty.

This Steeler O line group has lots of talent. Much more than compared to the 2007-ish era teams.
    I think Chuks is the better LT also. There are always exceptions but by large OTs do not switch sides from college to the NFL. Not successfully anyway. One that I am anxious to watch this season is the Browns. They signed Conklin(3yr/$42M) to play RT in FA, and THEN drafted Wills in the 1st to supposedly play LT. Jedrick Wills is a RT. I'm interested to see how that works out. I would not even care really if not for a conversation I listened to recently on this very subject. OL that can play up and down the line are important guys to have, true. But for the sake of this conversation only, Gray is a LT until otherwise proven.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    So now.....with all the beavers, you are trying to make this a real thread......WHY?
    you make a great point...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think Chuks is the better LT also. There are always exceptions but by large OTs do not switch sides from college to the NFL. Not successfully anyway. One that I am anxious to watch this season is the Browns. They signed Conklin(3yr/$42M) to play RT in FA, and THEN drafted Wills in the 1st to supposedly play LT. Jedrick Wills is a RT. I'm interested to see how that works out. I would not even care really if not for a conversation I listened to recently on this very subject. OL that can play up and down the line are important guys to have, true. But for the sake of this conversation only, Gray is a LT until otherwise proven.
    Gray played primarily Guard in the Steelers 4 preseason games last year. He didn't take any snaps in preseason at LT, where A.V., Okorafor, Banner was the preseason depth and Damian Prince served as the 3rd string LT one game. I'd say for the sake of conversation Gray is a backup Guard until proven otherwise, but not a LT.

Wills blocked the blindside (RT) for a Left Handed QB (Tua). He appears to have the tools to play LT in the NFL and early reports in the media from the Browns Head Coach and also the O line coach, is that he is making the transition well.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Suddenly the OL is a major concern, and that is the Steelers fault.
    Six Rings, can you please start another one of your brilliant threads soon?

I have lots of new beaver memes to share...