Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our window is still open, just barely. 2021 is the year it slams shut.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Our window is still open, just barely. 2021 is the year it slams shut.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I'm curious, what is everyone going to do when the window does shut? Choose another team? A lot of guys bitch and moan the whole year about this and that, and we're a pretty good team. So I'll ask again, what the hell are y'all going to do when they are really bad?

To me, it just means I get to watch them rebuild a team and that's one of my favorite parts of being a fan. Sure I love the Superbowl victories, but I kind of like all the work being done to get there a little more. Because when you look back on how those teams were built and what decisions they made throughout the year(s), its always the little things that make the difference. I just think the media and fans in general put way to much emphasis on the "SB Window".

Great post.

You are a reasonable fan. We all want to win every year, but understand that you can't win every year.

We are all fortunate to love and root for an NFL franchise that has been so successful. It's just that some of those fans aren't smart enough to know how lucky they have been, or are just never happy unless they are unhappy.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    For fun I might archive some threads for next year to say I told you so.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well, it took a minute but that’s some serious galaxy brain posts getting rolled out.

There’s just a level of stupid you can’t argue with.

Like if you somehow manage to read an OL listed from LEFT to RIGHT as being listed as RIGHT to LEFT —- well than what can anyone do?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well, it took a minute but that’s some serious galaxy brain posts getting rolled out.

Like if you somehow manage to read an OL listed from LEFT to RIGHT as being listed as RIGHT to LEFT —- well than what can anyone do?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I agree and love the reference. But maybe I'll hold out a bit of possibility that its dyslexia or some other reading issue that cant decipher left from right.

Still, this thread has it all. Knee jerk gloom and doom, inability to read, some form of Hee-Haw gif and ...Beavers! If we can only get some suddenness and glide, some 1492 reference and maybe some Angrychair retroactive hate added to this....it would bring the generations of Steeler message boards full circle.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

It's becoming apparent to me that you're just a joe average fan, " Homer " which is fine. This isn't nonsense, it's a major problem for 2021. In 2020, I think we will have a winning season.

The line you suggested would SUCK. Chucks wasn't close to beating out Fieler for the Right Tackle job last camp. The competiton was over in 2 weeks. We have no center. Well we had Finney, he's gone. DeCastro is great but aging....and Banner is way to slow to play left tackle. The fact that you put Banner at Left Tackle tells me you don't know what it takes to play left tackle. Dude, that is stupid. He's much better off at Right Tackle. The depth is an unproven rookie and a 7th round pick who didn't even dress last year. Ladies and Gentleman the Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 Offensive lineman going in to the 2021 draft.

Like I said in the past seven draft we pick zero OL in round one and two, and just one player in round three. The OL starts almost half the offense. It was ignored. Age is upon us, and you bet your rear end the Steelers won't sign an impact-free agent at OL. One thing I forget to say. Losing Munchak as the OL coach hurt the team. He could plug and play back ups, and get them to perform to a point where they were not major liabilities.

- - - Updated - - -

For fun I might archive some threads for next year to say I told you so. Just let me know how you like your crow. Perhaps I didn't get the rose colored glasses when joining this forum. Some of you guys never take them off.
    Do you even cheer FOR the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A troll starts a thread on a Steelers forum, asking whether the Steelers are doomed because of Tomlin. And, because they should have traded JuJu. And, because the troll doesn’t know left from right. Getting angry about not getting “realistic” replies about what to do, the troll asks if Steelers fans are concerned or ashamed.

To which, the beaver replies, “Gnaw.”

It's rock bottom when you think you know everything but after you don't know left from right….

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A troll starts a thread on a Steelers forum, asking whether the Steelers are doomed because of Tomlin. And, because they should have traded JuJu. And, because the troll doesn’t know left from right. Getting angry about not getting “realistic” replies about what to do, the troll asks if Steelers fans are concerned or ashamed.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The Rookie QB’s made the O line look bad, they held the ball too long, didn’t know how to use their blockers in pass protection, also their poor pass play allowed defenses to load up against the run and made it seem like our o line couldn’t open up holes for the RB. You have to put a big asterisk on last season because of the QB play. This year is the year to see how the o line performs - and all indications are Ben is more healthy than he’s been in the last 2-3 years.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I have to admit. Six Rings is a beaver factory!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Can the window be slammed on this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Here we go again. Another round of patented Six Rings hot diarrhea nonsense.
    Yeah I read the thread title and immediately knew who it was.

Six Rings is very old and has experienced things and understands things in a way that the rest of us never can. In honor of that, I think everyone will appreciate this story I found:

An 80-year-old man went to his doctor for his annual check-up. The doctor asks him how he's feeling. The 80-year-old says, "I've never felt better. I now have a 20 year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. What do you think about that?"

The doctor considers his question for a minute and then
    begins. "I have an older friend, much like you, who is an avid trophy hunter and never misses a season. One day, when he was going out hunting, he was in a bit of a hurry and accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his gun. When he got to the creek, he saw a prime beaver sitting beside the stream of water. He raised his cane and went 'bang, bang'. Suddenly, two shots rang out and the beaver fell over dead. What do you think of that?"

The 80-year-old said, "I'd say somebody else pumped a couple of rounds into that beaver."

The doctor replied, "My point exactly."

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Thanks to a very easy schedule and Ben's return, the Steelers should make the playoffs. Therefore the window is open, and super bowl appearance is a possibility. I don't buy these 7-9 to 8-8 picks by the media for this coming season. I See 9-7 to 10-6.

However come 2021, we've got serious issues on the OL

Villanueva will be 32 in September, and he had a very poor 2019 getting flagged often and giving up sacks. No doubt the man's a hero, but his days of playing left tackle are almost over. More problematic is he's the lone proven player on the team capable of playing the Left Tackle position to the level the offense needs. What happens if he departs in free agency. Given he'll be 33 in Sept 202, I just can't see the Steelers offering him a three-year deal at the price he will be seeking. This could be his last year in Pittsburgh.

Equally challenging will be replacing Pouncey, who also had a down year. I didn't see many of his trademark pulls in 2019, I saw him struggle to generate holes and getting pushed backward too often. Pouncey has said he's retiring when Ben is retiring. Decastro is still going strong, but he's getting up there in age. Wisniewski, age 31 is really a journeyman type of starter. A temporary patch solution for 1-3 seasons at most.

Suddenly the OL is a major concern, and that is the Steelers fault. In the past 7 drafts, only one OL player was taken on day one or two ( First three rounds ) , and he's still a backup.

It won't matter who is at Quarterback if the OL, who played poorly as a group goes from bad to worse.

I don't know the Steelers were offered to trade Ju-Ju. Maybe they should have taken that deal, as he's likely a goner next year in free agency. A high 2nd or 1st for Ju-Ju...should have taken that deal and picked a Tackle.
    Curious...a left tackle or a right tackle? Who would YOU have taken for this 1st/2nd round tackle pick?

Trading JuJu, moving Wash to the slot and putting rookie Claypool at the Z, leaving Johnson to play the X and Ebron to be the Y. IF this gains a franchise LT, I may be ok with this. However, I never trade away a sure thing(JuJu) for a maybe(draft pick).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Curious...a left tackle or a right tackle? Who would YOU have taken for this 1st/2nd round tackle pick?

Trading JuJu, moving Wash to the slot and putting rookie Claypool at the Z, leaving Johnson to play the X and Ebron to be the Y. IF this gains a franchise LT, I may be ok with this. However, I never trade away a sure thing(JuJu) for a maybe(draft pick).
    If you trade JUJU you’re looking at the Eagles, Vikings, or Niners picks. So, that means Wilson or Cleveland as your OT options.

Are either of those two a franchise LT? I don’t know. But that’s the alternative reality starting point.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

https://youtu.be/PVRD7A7PiG4

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/PVRD7A7PiG4 LOL !!!!!
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Everyone go home for the day.

Nothing is topping this.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If you trade JUJU you’re looking at the Eagles, Vikings, or Niners picks. So, that means Wilson or Cleveland as your OT options.

Are either of those two a franchise LT? I don’t know. But that’s the alternative reality starting point.
    And that's the rub. No way to know if either will turn out to be worth the trade or any trade for a year or 3. I know what I have with JuJu, therefore he is my sure thing. I don't make that trade this year but for conversation it's worth considering.

2021 will see the Steelers have to make a few tough choices though. Just on the offensive side of the ball the FA list starts with AV, Feiler, JuJu, Conner, McDonald, Banner, and Switzer. If I make the trade this offseason for a franchise LT moving forward is that worth some or all of these FAs? The roster is set today to pay Banner to play RT, Snell to take the place of Conner, and Ebron to possibly take over TE1. You can see Wash moving to the slot WR1 role and Switzer just continue his role at his cost. BUT, there are names just as big on the defensive side that will make ALL FA moves difficult to predict or even feel good about. Some starters for the 2020 Steelers will not be with the team in 2021. Planning ahead is just a worthwhile conversation IMO, even though none of us can predict or control any of it.

I don't think that by any means does any "window slam shut" in 2021, but significant changes are coming. How this plays out will be very difficult to watch for some.

A team doesn't need an franchise LT... It's good if you have one, but the most important thing is that this player is not horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the rumor on JuJu was false.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    A team doesn't need an franchise LT... It's good if you have one, but the most important thing is that this player is not horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW the rumor on JuJu was false.
    Franchise LT was just an example of who would be traded for. Not the point of the post at all.

And that's the rub. No way to know if either will turn out to be worth the trade or any trade for a year or 3. I know what I have with JuJu, therefore he is my sure thing. I don't make that trade this year but for conversation it's worth considering.

2021 will see the Steelers have to make a few tough choices though. Just on the offensive side of the ball the FA list starts with AV, Feiler, JuJu, Conner, McDonald, Banner, and Switzer. If I make the trade this offseason for a franchise LT moving forward is that worth some or all of these FAs? The roster is set today to pay Banner to play RT, Snell to take the place of Conner, and Ebron to possibly take over TE1. You can see Wash moving to the slot WR1 role and Switzer just continue his role at his cost. BUT, there are names just as big on the defensive side that will make ALL FA moves difficult to predict or even feel good about. Some starters for the 2020 Steelers will not be with the team in 2021. Planning ahead is just a worthwhile conversation IMO, even though none of us can predict or control any of it.

I don't think that by any means does any "window slam shut" in 2021, but significant changes are coming. How this plays out will be very difficult to watch for some.
    One "easy" move is to let Feiler go on the assumption that Dotson takes over as a starting guard. If you have to let AV go, then you hope Chuks and Banner are your OT starters and Gray is the swing tackle. Then add a draft pick. On the defensive side, you likely say bye to Alualu, VW, McCullers, and potentially Dupree.

So realistically, the two "painful" departures are AV and Dupree. Them leaving might actually impact game play. VW and Alualu would be sad, but not likely alter the manner the team attempts to play on Sundays.

One "easy" move is to let Feiler go on the assumption that Dotson takes over as a starting guard. If you have to let AV go, then you hope Chuks and Banner are your OT starters and Gray is the swing tackle. Then add a draft pick. On the defensive side, you likely say bye to Alualu, VW, McCullers, and potentially Dupree.

So realistically, the two "painful" departures are AV and Dupree. Them leaving might actually impact game play. VW and Alualu would be sad, but not likely alter the manner the team attempts to play on Sundays.
    Do you keep Conner or JuJu?

The OT situation can go a couple ways without AV. Banner as RT with Gray at LT and Chuks as both backup. OR Banner at RT with Chuks at LT and backing up RT should Banner get hurt, and Gray backing up Chuks should either get hurt. Gray is not a RT and Banner is not a LT.

The OT situation can go a couple ways without AV. Banner as RT with Gray at LT and Chuks as both backup. OR Banner at RT with Chuks at LT and backing up RT should Banner get hurt, and Gray backing up Chuks should either get hurt. Gray is not a RT and Banner is not a LT.
    Assume both Conner and Juju perform to some sort of reasonable expectations and stay healthy in 2019; then yes I keep both. Operating on the assumption that neither wants a deal that would just cripple the cap.

Did some quick research and releasing McDonald and VW gets you to 32 million in space with Heyward, AV, Hilton, Sutton, Conner, Juju, and Dupree the big names to fold back into the roster.

Figure you can get Juju, Conner, and Heyward for that $32 million. Hilton/Sutton comes from some sort of restructure or extension from another high $$$ player. So, I do thin you are looking at losing one of Sutton/Hilton, AV and Dupree. OR let Conner go and use that on AV.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I am curious as to why you think Derwin Gray is not a RT, could you please elaborate?

As for Conner or JuJu, I think you try and retain both if they both have a good season, but IMO, you can find competent RB's in round 3 or in free agency to split time with other RB's, while I think a player of JuJu's ability is more difficult to find, so I would prioritize him over Conner.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Even if they have success on their respective teams, that doesn’t necessarily mean that those players would have the same success on different teams and in different situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Everyone go home for the day.

Nothing is topping this.
    Vincent Donofrio, I love the guy. First came on the scene in Mystic Pizza, Eggerd in MIB, and of course is long and distinguished run on Law and Order CI,....always a bit of a loose cannon, but still love him.

- - - Updated - - -

So now.....with all the beavers, you are trying to make this a real thread......WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I am curious as to why you think Derwin Gray is not a RT, could you please elaborate?

As for Conner or JuJu, I think you try and retain both if they both have a good season, but IMO, you can find competent RB's in round 3 or in free agency to split time with other RB's, while I think a player of JuJu's ability is more difficult to find, so I would prioritize him over Conner.
    Simplest explanation is he is a LT. He played LT throughout his college career. Rarely do OTs have success switching sides from college to NFL. Maybe Gray is the exception?