Thread: From a distance, T.J. Watt taking Steelers rookie LB Alex Highsmith under his wing

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

From a distance, T.J. Watt taking Steelers rookie LB Alex Highsmith under his wing

T.J. Watt has spent the past month mentoring a teammate he likely still hasn’t met in person.

Ever since the NFL Draft concluded April 25, the Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker has been in the ear of rookie third-round pick Alex Highsmith, who was picked to provide depth at a position sorely needing it heading into the 2020 season.

All contact has been done on a virtual basis courtesy of the coronavirus pandemic that has kept most teammates from personally interacting.

“Once Alex was drafted, I reached out to him and we’ve talked a lot on the side,” Watt said this week during an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I told him from the start that if you have any questions, don’t feel like you’re bothering me. You can always reach out to me whether it’s anything from drill work to an actual alignment or an assignment.”

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/from-a-d...nder-his-wing/

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Re: From a distance, T.J. Watt taking Steelers rookie LB Alex Highsmith under his wing

I have high hopes for this kid. I think Highsmith has a motor similar to the the way TJ plays.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: From a distance, T.J. Watt taking Steelers rookie LB Alex Highsmith under his wing

Everything I ever see or read about regarding TJ only makes me respect and appreciate him more. He’s probably the single biggest reason for Bud Dupree’s incredible improvement.

So glad TJ is a Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Couldn’t ask for a better mentor.
    Better TJ than Bud.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

TJ is doing it wrong. You’re not supposed to mentor the young guys; HOF players are supposed to fall asleep in a recliner during team meetings.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    TJ is doing it wrong. You’re not supposed to mentor the young guys; HOF players are supposed to fall asleep in a recliner during team meetings.

Exactly!

What the hell is he even thinking???????

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Highsmith is either going to become a fan favorite or if he struggles, the hype backlash will begin!

At some point, one of these small school linebackers have to step-up and prove they can play in the NFL.

Alphabet Soup, Tupac Skipper, Slim Sutton, and now Highsmith. Highsmith seems to have the highest rating coming into the draft cycle; so I am excited to see what he does once stuff in pads starts rolling.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Highsmith is either going to become a fan favorite
    Take out the word “either”... and you nailed it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Highsmith is either going to become a fan favorite or if he struggles, the hype backlash will begin!

At some point, one of these small school linebackers have to step-up and prove they can play in the NFL.

Alphabet Soup, Tupac Skipper, Slim Sutton, and now Highsmith. Highsmith seems to have the highest rating coming into the draft cycle; so I am excited to see what he does once stuff in pads starts rolling.

Bud Highsmith????

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Highdong Dongsmith

Dongsmith?
    Highdong?

Who cares???... as long as his first name is pronounced: Asslicks.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Dongsmith?
    Highdong?

Who cares???... as long as his first name is pronounced: Asslicks.

That can be arranged.