Thread: Biggest Busts In Steelers’ History: WR Limas Sweed

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Biggest Busts In Steelers’ History: WR Limas Sweed

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Biggest Busts In Steelers’ History: WR Limas Sweed

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

I can't. It's too painful!

Maybe his career would been different if he did not drop the pass for a TD at the end of the first half against the ravens in the AFC title game in 2008.

It would have been huge for his confidence but instead, he lost his confidence .... Fortunately the steelers won this game, otherwise this drop would have been in the category of Jackie Smith in super bowl XIII.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I think Mark Malone is hiding somewhere

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I think Mark Malone is hiding somewhere
    As are Keith Gary, Walter Abercrombie and pretty much anyone else not named Louis Lipps or Rod Woodson that the Steelers happened to draft in the first round during the 1980s...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Tim Worley says "hold my cocaine...I got this..."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Alonzo Jackson and Jamin Stephens

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I read a lot of draft busts on this list. I bet you a lot of those will be addressed later on in this series

- - - Updated - - -

This was the crown jewel of suck for one of the worst draft classes in team history

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Curtis brown has to make the list

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    As are Keith Gary, Walter Abercrombie and pretty much anyone else not named Louis Lipps or Rod Woodson that the Steelers happened to draft in the first round during the 1980s...
    Sticking with that those awful 80's ..... if the measure of a bust (34 DD good enough) is just about how good of a player is projected to be, relative to how good a player turned out to be, regardless of reason, then the biggest bust in Steelers' history has to be Gabe Rivera. First round draft pick. Passed on Dan Marinio to make the selection. Selected by Chuck Noll to rebuild the team ala the Joe Greene 1969. One year and tragically done.

Another name from the 80's John Rienstra. A projected NFL guard selected with a early first round pick to rebuild offensive line. He just couldn't make it at the NFL level. And let's be honest, while no position is easy to project from college to pro, guard is certainly easier than most.

Guys like Malone and Abercrombie are busts because they were both drafted to replace legends and failed to perform, but not on the level of of the two previous guys, imo. Abercrombie ran for around 4000 yards and had over 800 twice. And Malone was the QB in an AFC championship game. Not that he was the reason they got there. So to conclude:

Steelers good. 80's Steelers bad and wiped from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This one was awful and for some reason this one is under the radar….Maybe the biggest bust in steelers history.

But I believe that Alex Kozora will make several videos on some of the biggest bust in steelers history and this video was on Limas Sweed.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I would still draft Sweed. I believed he was a steal at the time he was drafted.

Not my best call, but if you watched him play in college, it was hard to imagine him not having some impact at the NFL level because of his size and speed. His hands weren't spectacular, but he never showed the inability to catch anything like he did with the Steelers. It was a complete psychological breakdown in regard to catching a football. It is one of the most baffling things that I have ever seen on a football field. It was bad for the team and for fans of the team, but it was devastating to watch because you could see him just being consumed by his fear every time the football came his way. He already knew he was going to drop it before it got to him.

It's really sad because I believe in my heart that he could have been an impactful player if not for the meltdown, and he would have been able to have a much better life for himself and his family. That has to be very difficult for him to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I would still draft Sweed. I believed he was a steal at the time he was drafted.

Not my best call, but if you watched him play in college, it was hard to imagine him not having some impact at the NFL level because of his size and speed. His hands weren't spectacular, but he never showed the inability to catch anything like he did with the Steelers. It was a complete psychological breakdown in regard to catching a football. It is one of the most baffling things that I have ever seen on a football field. It was bad for the team and for fans of the team, but it was devastating to watch because you could see him just being consumed by his fear every time the football came his way. He already knew he was going to drop it before it got to him.

It's really sad because I believe in my heart that he could have been an impactful player if not for the meltdown, and he would have been able to have a much better life for himself and his family. That has to be very difficult for him to live with.
    I agree. Sweed's biggest problem was a young coach who broke his confidence by pulling him every time he dropped a ball. He used to do the same thing with RBs. Notice how he's learned his lesson and now lets both positions play through their errors. That's not to say, of course, that was Sweed's only problem. After all, he dropped an easy TD in a playoff game before ever being pulled.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I’m on record many times saying the same. I’d make that pick every time even knowing what happened after he was drafted. Presented with the same type of player and same situation, I’d make the exact same pick every time and be just as excited about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’m on record many times saying the same. I’d make that pick every time even knowing what happened after he was drafted. Presented with the same type of player and same situation, I’d make the exact same pick every time and be just as excited about it!
    100%

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

At least he got a super bowl ring.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    More Super Bowl ring that TD catch for Sweed!

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Cliif Stoudt has two.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

One of the saddest moments for Sweed I saw was during Super Bowl XLV week, he was walking around on media day and nobody wanted to talk to him.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Lima Bean had talent, but he was too much inside his own head to make an impact. That drop shattered him.

I wonder if the same thing happened with Artie Burns. It was widely said that he had raw ability coming out of Miami, but I wonder if going after AB starting out mentally affected him that carried over into gameday. Getting beat in practice over and over again, and he just couldn't fight through and respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Lima Bean had talent, but he was too much inside his own head to make an impact. That drop shattered him.

I wonder if the same thing happened with Artie Burns. It was widely said that he had raw ability coming out of Miami, but I wonder if going after AB starting out mentally affected him that carried over into gameday. Getting beat in practice over and over again, and he just couldn't fight through and respond.
    Burns was competitive in the 2017 training camp against Brown and Burns was fine at first but he got worse and worse after that ... He lost confidence.

I still think Jarvis Jones is the biggest bust of the steelers in the last decade too.He had 6 sacks in 4 years and it was not because of the lack of playing time since he was often a starter until the midseason in 2016...He had 35 start in 50 games and 2.5 of his sacks was against the Browns.

BTW looking at the stats, I saw that the steelers were 0-5 when Jarvis Jones was playing against the Ravens!!!

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Ricardo Colclough should be in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Ricardo Colclough should be in the running.
    I think he was more of a "reach" than a "bust". I guess it's how you define both terms. Either way, he didn't pan out as they had hoped.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

08 really did turn out to be a bad draft. Even Mendy was an overall disappointment given his injuries, fumbles, and ten cent head.

- - - Updated - - -

08 really did turn out to be a bad draft. Even Mendy was an overall disappointment given his injuries, fumbles, and ten cent head.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I think he was more of a "reach" than a "bust". I guess it's how you define both terms. Either way, he didn't pan out as they had hoped.
    You’re right.
    A reach that became a bust.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

when you go to a 2nd rounder and start saying biggest bust of all time you got some explaining to do ... I mean the list becomes HUGE and guys like Scott Shields , Alonzo Jackson , Ricardo Colclough , Senquez Golson start doing their best Arnold Horshack impersonation to get some attentions they never got in the league
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I have always wished two things about the 2007 draft:

1. Arians doesn’t leak the name Darrelle Revis to the press AND/OR the Steelers use a few of their later-round draft picks from that draft in order to move up two spots (and draft Revis). That defense with Revis and Ike at CB... holy crap!!!

2. The Steelers trade their entire 2008 draft in order to acquire Adrian Peterson. Imagine that defense along with the ability to completely grind out the clock in the fourth quarter. Wow!!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Jamain Stephens by far