Thread: Tomlin ‘Excited’ About CB Justin Layne

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin ‘Excited’ About CB Justin Layne

A player’s second year is the one Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers view as critical. The “sophomore leap.” No longer are their heads swimming with the transition to the NFL and all that it brings; new coaches, new scheme, new pressure. Consider CB Justin Layne in that boat and Tomlin, speaking with fans on a Steelers Nation Unite conference call.

Here’s what Tomlin said via the team website.

“And the cornerback position, we’re really excited about Justin Layne in the same way [as Devin Bush] was a rookie a year ago. We took him out of Michigan State, he was inactive early on and then carved out a role for himself as a special teamer. So he’s going through the natural participation developmental process and really distinguished himself in a positive way in a practice setting over the second half of the year. Those are usually signs that a guy’s going to take the step in the second year. So we’re excited about him and his development and what he might bring to us at the cornerback position.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/to...-justin-layne/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Tomlin ‘Excited’ About CB Justin Layne

I almost forgot this kid was on the team. It's be a nice surprise to see him come on.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Good

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Layne looked lost as rookie. Rookies should be judged on upside and playmaking abilities too ability too, and Layne looked on the slow side to play corner. Not only top-end speed but with acceleration. Receivers broke away from him to easily. He was toasted in the pre-season. Top end speed and acceleration can not be fixed, but he can learn how to read offenses and guard against these shortcomings thanks to good height and length for the position.

I think his chances are much better in zone. Man to man, he's not a guy I want out there defending the sideline, and he's not quick enough for the slot. I read he was good at bump and run, but he missed his bump in the NFL, he lacks the catch up speed. If he put on a little weight, maybe 3rd safety would be his best position. He does have plus ball skills.

Not giving up on him just yet... I don't think he's starting potential. My hope is he can add to a sub-package dime.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Layne looked lost as rookie. Rookies should be judged on upside and playmaking abilities too ability too, and Layne looked on the slow side to play corner. Not only top-end speed but with acceleration. Receivers broke away from him to easily. He was toasted in the pre-season. Top end speed and acceleration can not be fixed, but he can learn how to read offenses and guard against these shortcomings thanks to good height and length for the position.

I think his chances are much better in zone. Man to man, he's not a guy I want out there defending the sideline, and he's not quick enough for the slot. I read he was good at bump and run, but he missed his bump in the NFL, he lacks the catch up speed. If he put on a little weight, maybe 3rd safety would be his best position. He does have plus ball skills.

Not giving up on him just yet... I don't think he's starting potential. My hope is he can add to a sub-package dime.

You haven't seen nearly enough of him at the NFL level to know any of that yet.

He was a WR at Michigan St until 2016 before he switched to cornerback. He has a lot to learn, and he definitely will get better. He had plenty of speed in college, but he needs to learn the game. Working on his technique, getting stronger, knowing the defensive scheme and what his responsibilities in the defense are, and simply working on his craft will tell the tale.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Physically, Layne has the athletic tools. NFL CBs have a unique mentality in that they can get completely burned 3 plays in a row and bounce back on the 4th play for a pick 6. You just have to let him play enough snaps to see what he actually is. You hear it all the time, this game is 90% mental and there simply is no way to measure that part of Layne's game at this point. If Tomlin is happy, I'm happy.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who is going with the fan who saw Justin Layne allow a completion in a preseason game. I guess it’s pretty serious.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who is going with the fan who saw Justin Layne allow a completion in a preseason game. I guess it’s pretty serious.

I bet they're related to an ex-Ravens' coach that says Tomlin is an easy coach to game plan for.......

Can Steelers CB Justin Layne make the necessary steps to contribute in 2020?

by Jordan Newman

After the fourth round, wish for the best. While the NFL draft may have its hidden, late-round gems, front offices reside primarily in hope & faith for breakout contributors at that point. The Steelers 2019 draft class is a great example, but have an anomaly that could be a late-riser for the group.
    Amongst its 5 selections, no Steelers draft choice picked after round four played more than 75 snaps at their respective position (LB Ulysses Gilbert played 150 on ST). The latter however in LB Devin Bush, WR Diontae Johnson, & RB Benny Snell all became starters in separate moments. Leaving 3rd round pick CB Justin Layne unacknowledged, the Michigan State alum never logged a defensive snap in 2019, but could finally earn his time due to surrounding circumstances and possible improvement as a player.

Steelers CBs on Thin Ice
    Metaphorically, no, and metaphorically, yes. The Steelers fielded a CB unit that became impressive over the course of the season. Joe Haden eventually earned his 3rd career selection to the Pro Bowl, Steven Nelson is an underrated talent that statistically performed similarly to the best, and Cameron Sutton solidified the dime role.
    Problem is, these names including Layne are the only CBs on the roster that has an existing contract with the Steelers in 2020. A great three to build from, questions will be answered if Pittsburgh will match a team’s bid on Mike Hilton or the days of Artie Burns have officially passed us.
    Likely, the Steelers retain one of the two for familiarity & cap situation they are in, but this leaves the door wide open for Layne. The aging on the offense & personnel issues could become a priority come draft time, and the typical four they carry on game days have to get replaced and/or up-to quota.

Read the rest: https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/30/...ne-steps-2020/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You haven't seen nearly enough of him at the NFL level to know any of that yet.

He was a WR at Michigan St until 2016 before he switched to cornerback. He has a lot to learn, and he definitely will get better. He had plenty of speed in college, but he needs to learn the game. Working on his technique, getting stronger, knowing the defensive scheme and what his responsibilities in the defense are, and simply working on his craft will tell the tale.
    He had plenty for speed in college you say? This is the NFL. Did you net see him play in the pre-season. Being lost is one thing. Allowing too much separation and lacking the speed to cover deep is another. That's what hapened. Unless you somehow think he's going to be quicker and faster at a position that demands both, he's got unfixable flaws. Sorry. Good coaching if he takes to it can help a bit. I'm still not sure if he's anything but 4th corner. Not quick enoug for the slot, too slow to play outside for man coverage. Could be okay as a zone corner. Looks more like a lanky free safety to me, where his height and balls skills can come into play and he doesn't have to work about being beat on a quick cut or deep as often. He didn't tackle well either.

He'll make the team barring an injury. The Steelers usually keep 5 or 6 corners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Physically, Layne has the athletic tools. NFL CBs have a unique mentality in that they can get completely burned 3 plays in a row and bounce back on the 4th play for a pick 6. You just have to let him play enough snaps to see what he actually is. You hear it all the time, this game is 90% mental and there simply is no way to measure that part of Layne's game at this point. If Tomlin is happy, I'm happy.
    I value Tomlin's opinion on who has a good work ethic. He's usually right there. Tomlin has nice things to say about Dri Archer and a long list of Steeler busts when they were young players. He's hoping he has a replacement for Haden. It's hope.

He had plenty for speed in college you say? This is the NFL. Did you net see him play in the pre-season. Being lost is one thing. Allowing too much separation and lacking the speed to cover deep is another. That's what hapened. Unless you somehow think he's going to be quicker and faster at a position that demands both, he's got unfixable flaws. Sorry. Good coaching if he takes to it can help a bit. I'm still not sure if he's anything but 4th corner. Not quick enoug for the slot, too slow to play outside for man coverage. Could be okay as a zone corner. Looks more like a lanky free safety to me, where his height and balls skills can come into play and he doesn't have to work about being beat on a quick cut or deep as often. He didn't tackle well either.

He'll make the team barring an injury. The Steelers usually keep 5 or 6 corners.

- - - Updated - - -

I value Tomlin's opinion on who has a good work ethic. He's usually right there. Tomlin has nice things to say about Dri Archer and a long list of Steeler busts when they were young players. He's hoping he has a replacement for Haden. It's hope.

Going all negative again I see.

Yeah, I know this is the NFL. I think we're all aware of where he's playing now. I'm willing to actually see him play in more than a couple preseason games in his rookie season before I decide what he's going to be for the rest of his career, thank you.

As for Tomlin's opinion on players....What is he supposed to say? When you have players on the roster, you try to talk them up publicly, and coach them up in practice and on the field. He only has the players that are on the roster. That's what coaches do.

The ridiculous shit you keep saying to bash Tomlin or the Rooney's at every turn is a joke.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Justin Layne will be a HOF player... for another team (because, after his rookie contract, the Rooneys will be too cheap to sign him).

If he somehow stays, his “3 INTs per season” and “56.4 passer rating against” will be judged against Rod Woodson and Mel Blount (arguably two of the three greatest CBs to ever play in the NFL).

SUMMATION:
    Justin Layne can’t win. He’s doomed no matter how his career plays out. He might as well quit.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Justin Layne will be a HOF player... for another team (because, after his rookie contract, the Rooneys will be too cheap to sign him).

If he somehow stays, his “3 INTs per season” and “56.4 passer rating against” will be judged against Rod Woodson and Mel Blount (arguably two of the three greatest CBs to ever play in the NFL).

SUMMATION:
    Justin Layne can’t win. He’s doomed no matter how his career plays out. He might as well quit.

Justin Layne needs to just pack it up and go home. Why bother trying when the penultimate football mind has stated he has no chance?

- - - Updated - - -

This is such a hilarious response to my post to me. Mike Tomlin is happy with his players makes me happy as a fan. Why? Tomlin has 1 job and that is to win football games. Since 2007 Tomlin has done that job better than every other HC in the NFL behind Bellicheat. So...when Mike Tomlin is happy with his players, I am happy too. Some people curse the sunshine AND the rain I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is such a hilarious response to my post to me. Mike Tomlin is happy with his players makes me happy as a fan. Why? Tomlin has 1 job and that is to win football games. Since 2007 Tomlin has done that job better than every other HC in the NFL behind Bellicheat. So...when Mike Tomlin is happy with his players, I am happy too. Some people curse the sunshine AND the rain I guess.

Some people don't just curse the rain. They try to create the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Some people don't just curse the rain. They try to create the rain.
    I'm just saying you need both. Sometimes you learn more from drafting Artie Burns than TJ Watt. Yes we can boo the Burns pick and cheer the Watt pick but a good coach will learn and grow from both. Six Rings is an all or none, doom and gloom no matter what. 2 rainy days during an otherwise sunny week is still a beautiful week in my opinion.