Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers respond to James Harrison's claim that Mike Tomlin handed him 'an envelope' after violent 2010 hit

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers respond to James Harrison's claim that Mike Tomlin handed him 'an envelope' after violent 2010 hit

James Harrison recently stirred the pot when he said that he received an envelope from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin to supposedly cover a fine that he had received from the NFL back in 2010. Harrison, the Steelers' all-time career leader in sacks, had been fined $75,000 for a hit on former Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. On Thursday evening, Steelers president Art Rooney II responded to Harrison's claim.

"I am very certain nothing like this ever happened," Rooney said, via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I have no idea why James would make a comment like this but there is simply no basis for believing anything like this."

Harrison's longtime agent, Bill Parise, echoed Rooney's sentiments when asked about Harrison's claim.

"Absolutely not. Never happened," Parise told the Tribune-Review. "I would have known that. It didn't happen."

read more

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...lent-2010-hit/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers respond to James Harrison's claim that Mike Tomlin handed him 'an envelope' after violent 2010 hit

Translation: this totally happened but it’s super illegal and a violation of league rules so let’s all agree that it didn’t happen so the NFL doesn’t bitch slap any of us.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Steelers respond to James Harrison's claim that Mike Tomlin handed him 'an envelope' after violent 2010 hit

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Translation: this totally happened but it’s super illegal and a violation of league rules so let’s all agree that it didn’t happen so the NFL doesn’t bitch slap any of us.
    Yeah, I think you're right. I mean the guy's been really open about how he feels about things pretty much his whole career.

Yep. Nothing like the coach taking care of the player. I wonder what the commissioner thinks about Harrison's deal with wide receivers from other teams paying his fines because he agreed not to go low on them. To me, that's even more interesting.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Anybody else getting tired of this fool throwing shit all over the team that gave him the chance to become the player he was after being cut multiple times from other teams???????

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I mean it’s pretty much confirmed if Colbert was really acting the way Harrison said he was.

This happens in all sports. I’ve witnessed it first hand in hockey so it’s nothing too over the top news breaking.

But there’s nothing to say what was in the envelope. Could’ve been the league fine letter (which was bullshit)...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I agree it happened. The question is, what does the NFL do about it? Tomlin has already cost his team draft status by sliding down in a round. This time the NFL might take a draft pick.

I really don't care much if the organization, Tomlin or Rooney gets fined, because that doesn't diminish the team's chances. Losing draft status does.

The Steelers need to be very careful here. Harrison seems to be reversing his story now, but if another X Steelers who was disgruntled joins in, the optics will look really bad.

Covering players fines for hit could be viewed as a type of bounty. How deep this rabbit hole goes is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I agree it happened. The question is, what does the NFL do about it? Tomlin has already cost his team draft status by sliding down in a round. This time the NFL might take a draft pick.

I really don't care much if the organization, Tomlin or Rooney gets fined, because that doesn't diminish the team's chances. Losing draft status does.

The Steelers need to be very careful here. Harrison seems to be reversing his story now, but if another X Steelers who was disgruntled joins in, the optics will look really bad.

Covering players fines for hit could be viewed as a type of bounty. How deep this rabbit hole goes is unknown.
    James Harrison's agent said it didn't happen ... Just read in the open thread.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Who cares ? I know i don't .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dude already ruined his legacy and now he just wants to double down on slinging mud. Remember when he was interviewing AB shortly after the 2018 season and reveling with AB in his desire to get traded?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

If it really happened, I see absolutely no reason for Harrison's (presumably now-former) agent to deny that it did and insinuate that his (presumably now-former) client is a liar by doing so.

That being said, the fine in question WAS absolute bullshit (see: the NFL online store continuing to sell pictures of said hit even AFTER the fine was handed down) and was a direct result of a heavy-handed and absolutely incompetent boob of a commissioner trying to assuage the media as opposed to attempting to make the sport safer.

James Harrison on IG

jhharrison92
    Wow y'all really comparing what I said to BOUNTYGATE?!? Mike T. Has NEVER paid me for hurting someone or TRYING to hurt someone or put a bounty on ANYBODY! If you knew the full story of what happened back then you'd know that BS fine for a Legal Play wasn't even penalized during the game. The league was getting pressure because the first concussion lawsuits were starting and they had to look like they cared about player safety all of a sudden. Before that they had been SELLING a photo of THAT SAME PLAY FOR $55 on the NFL website with other videos of the NFL'S GREATEST HITS that the league Profited On back then. When the league had to start pretending like they cared about player safety they took all those things down off their website and they started fining guys ridiculous amounts for the same plays they used to profit off of. EVERYBODY knew it - even these same media people and all the fans that were sending money to me and the team to cover the fine. AGAIN AT NO TIME did Mike T. EVER suggest anybody hurt anybody or that they'd be rewarded for anything like that. GTFOH with that BS!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CANlKgGA...=1p5z96drxrfsx

Click on this link to have more info...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Deleted my response because I just read polamalubeast's post and agree.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Well, one thing's for certain. If Tomlin gave JH an envelope full of money that money definitely didn't come from the Rooney's.
    They're too cheap.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JnK View Post
    Well, one thing's for certain. If Tomlin gave JH an envelope full of money that money definitely didn't come from the Rooney's.
    They're too cheap.
    WINNER!!!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by JnK View Post
    They're too cheap.
    Point. Set. Match.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

The envelope didn’t come from Tomlin.
    It came from Steeldude.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    It came from Steeldude.
    /thread

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Whether Tomlin did or didn't, Harrison shouldn't have thrown his HC under the bus. Just more selfish behavior.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Whether Tomlin did or didn't, Harrison shouldn't have thrown his HC under the bus. Just more selfish behavior.
    Agreed.. why bring some heat down on Tomlin then try and defend him?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

It came from Steeldude.
    I don't care who ya are, that's funny!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It came from Steeldude.
    This needs to be preserved for all future folks to see how to internet.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think Harrison probably didn’t quite think through the ramifications of saying this stuff, but if you read all of it in context you’ll see that he was NOT trying to throw Tomlin or the organization under the bus. If anything he was making amends and stating how good Tomlin and Colbert were to him. He was paying Tomlin a compliment, not insinuating that Tomlin ever encouraged anyone to hurt players.

I actually gained respect for Harrison after reading the interview.

I no longer care what salty fans think of him. Harrison is a straight up bad motherfucker and a Steeler for life. He should be welcomed back with open arms by the organization and any true fan who has any respect for what it means to play like a Steeler.

In fact I respect him more now than I do Troy who is still kind of acting like a baby over the Steelers seeing that he could no longer play at a high level and told him that he should probably retire so they didn’t have to cut him.

At least Harrison is now giving respect to the organization that helped make him what he was.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    yet, he is ratting on his former coach which also can hurt the Steelers as a whole.

Harrison only cares about himself. I would not let that man near the team again.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

It is true that Tomlin should have put in the rotation for the 2017 season and it was a mistake but at the same time Harrison need to move on from that .... I appreciate what he did on the field for the steelers and after Polamalu, he is probably the best player of the steelers in defense in the last 20 years, especially at his peak but Harrison should rather thank the steelers and Tomlin for giving a chance to be a starter.

I mean, when Tomlin became head coach, one of the first decisions was to release the very good Joey Porter and give Harrison a chance .... Harrison should thank Tomlin on that.It's just disappointing right now

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It is true that Tomlin should have put in the rotation for the 2017 season and it was a mistake but at the same time Harrison need to move on from that .... I appreciate what he did on the field for the steelers and after Polamalu, he is probably the best player of the steelers in defense in the last 20 years, especially at his peak but Harrison should rather thank the steelers and Tomlin for giving a chance to be a starter.

I mean, when Tomlin became head coach, one of the first decisions was to release the very good Joey Porter and give Harrison a chance .... Harrison should thank Tomlin on that.It's just disappointing right now
    I think that’s exactly what Harrison is doing. He’s thanking Tomlin and saying that he appreciates him. He OBVIOUSLY wasn’t trying to get Tomlin in trouble or he easily could.

Was it a mistake to mention the envelope? Sure, but he clearly wasn’t looking at it kind that in the context of the quote. He said it was a totally G move of Tomlin.

When I first read the quote it never occurred to me that it might get Tomlin in trouble. It obviously wasn’t a bounty placed on anyone beforehand. It was Tomlin saying that it was a bullshit call. I’ve heard of owners paying fines for players before. Why should this be different?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

James Harrison's agent said it didn't happen ... Just read in the open thread.
    Was his agent there to see it happen? How would his agent even know? He's probably trying to keep Harrison out of hot water. Right now, I'm just hoping if it did happen, that Tomlin used CASH. A check deposit at the time of the fine close to the amount of the fine would look very fishy. The NFL has good investigators. Tomlin has had some issues with fines before. I don't want to lose a draft pick or suffer from moving down again. That was the penalty for the sideline incident, I think