Thread: Steelers' Mike Tomlin 'excited' about having Ben Roethlisberger back at QB

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers' Mike Tomlin 'excited' about having Ben Roethlisberger back at QB

The Steelers have placed the entire weight of their 2020 ambitions on Ben Roethlisberger's surgically repaired elbow, and coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday he expects it can hold up under all that stress.

"He's doing great thus far. He's in great physical condition. Rehabilitation, in regards to the injury itself, is going well. I hear nothing but positive reports from that standpoint," Tomlin told fans on the Steelers Nation Unite Huddle call. "There have been no bumps in the road."

Roethlisberger missed the final 14 games of the 2019 season after injuring his right elbow. He had surgery Sept. 23 and was cleared to begin throwing footballs in mid-February.

"The fact that his injury and subsequent surgery happened so early in the season in 2019 is probably an asset to him and us as we push into 2020," Tomlin said. "I think everybody's comfortable with where things are. We're excited about him and what he's going to do for us this year."

Roethlisberger led the NFL in passing yards in his last full season, 2018, but that team finished 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs. Without him, but with an improved defense, the Steelers used Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges at quarterback, went 8-8 and missed again in 2019. They also signed former Broncos first-round pick Paxton Lynch to their practice squad, and he remains with the club.

The Steelers have thus far chosen not to add another quarterback, someone with more experience, as a backup to Roethlisberger. Tomlin did not totally rule out that possibility, though.

read more

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...x13m6mblj87awm

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Mike Tomlin 'excited' about having Ben Roethlisberger back at QB

Like Bart Scott...Can't wait!

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

And we could have had Jameis Winston as his backup for $1.1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    And we could have had Jameis Winston as his backup for $1.1 million.
    The great Jameis Winston…

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I'm not saying he would have replaced Ben, but he sure as hell would have been a lot better than the trash we rolled out last season if Ben goes down again.

The guy is only 26, and could get better with the right type of QB coach. But again, I only wanted him as a backup not our future after Ben.

Mason has only been one season as a starter ... I’m not saying he’s going to be good but I think the steelers believe Mason is going to be better this year, which is one of the big reasons why they didn’t sign any other backups. The steelers don't want to give up on him after just one year.

Winston was horrible after 5 seasons and he never got better ... Turnovers machine like crazy.That's the reason why he only had 1.5 million in the open market and that the bucs offense were much better with Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2018.