Thread: Evolution of the Steelers Defense

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Evolution of the Steelers Defense

I really enjoyed this video that breaks down just how the Steelers defense improved as the season went on last year:

https://youtu.be/yWX3U8fIKAg

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Evolution of the Steelers Defense

Great video!

It was still embarrassing to see how this defense was still predictable and lack of communication and he very well explained what was the biggest problem but after the first two games it was much better!

This video deserves to be seen and you will not waste your time with that!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Great video!

It was still embarrassing to see how this defense was still predictable and lack of communication and he very well explained what was the biggest problem but after the first two games it was much better!

This video deserves to be seen and you will not waste your time with that!
    I agree. It’s very informative.

The addition of Minkah was an obvious factor, but the video really showed how the communication between the players improved so much, and their ability to disguise coverages increased tremendously after the first couple of games.

I also really like how he explaines the stacked pass rush.

It’s a great video for people who are into the more specific Xs and Os stuff, rather than just impressive highlights. It gives me more respect for how well that defense is coached. And we obviously have smart players who can execute.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I wonder what the "driver" of the evolution is. I mean, I realize it is to stop getting beat -- but beyond that. Was it the replacement of Sean Davis and Kam Kelly with MF? Was that ability to stabilize the back-end of the defense the key to "unlocking" coverage schemes and alignments that no one trusted the team to play when dumb and dumber were playing FS? Or was it the evolution of the entire LB and DB corps in general to play more complex and shifting assignments?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I wonder what the "driver" of the evolution is. I mean, I realize it is to stop getting beat -- but beyond that. Was it the replacement of Sean Davis and Kam Kelly with MF? Was that ability to stabilize the back-end of the defense the key to "unlocking" coverage schemes and alignments that no one trusted the team to play when dumb and dumber were playing FS? Or was it the evolution of the entire LB and DB corps in general to play more complex and shifting assignments?
    I believe this is several factors combined ... Fitzpatrick over Kam Kelly or Sean Davis had been enormous and the communication in the secondary has been much better after that which is very crucial in the NFL and the versatility of this defense helped to be less predictable .... The coaches were very good in the adjustments as they showed in this video.

The Pass rush was already great before, but to be a very good defense, the secondary is crucial too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All of the above and more. It’s amazing what the right personnel allows you to do, especially if they are smart and no exactly how to shift assignments depending on what the offense does. This is why I absolutely love high IQ guys like Minkah and TJ who can help the others get better at reading and reacting.

We don’t just have a group of individual stars on defense. They are now a cohesive unit for the first time in years. No really weak links.

But watching what Hargrave did for this defense... I really will miss him
    Even though he only played like 25% of the snaps. Tuitt coming back will be huge for us.

I also really appreciate the way Dupree has progressed. He does have a great first step. And I refuse to believe he’s going to suddenly forget everything he’s learned and regress. That’s absolutely ridiculous. It makes zero sense. It’s like if someone had said James Harrison would regress once the lights finally came on for him.

I’m so glad we have Dupree for another year.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    But watching what Hargrave did for this defense... I really will miss him
    Even though he only played like 25% of the snaps. Tuitt coming back will be huge for us.

I also really appreciate the way Dupree has progressed. He does have a great first step. And I refuse to believe he’s going to suddenly forget everything he’s learned and regress. That’s absolutely ridiculous. It makes zero sense. It’s like if someone had said James Harrison would regress once the lights finally came on for him.

I’m so glad we have Dupree for another year.
    The only thing that can potentially stop Dupree is injury. The same thing that slowed Lamarr Woodley down.