Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Gore sign with the Jets

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Frank Gore sign with the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agree 100%. It’s why I feel there should be more to the vote than just some dopey writers. Former and current players and coaches should get a vote. Very limited number of writers should get a vote and a very low percentage of a public vote should count. When I say low, I mean in the 1-5% range. Players and coaches should be in the 30-35 range...making that 70%. Writers get 25-30 and then the rest goes to public.

In no way should this be a writer only thing. A guy like Aaron Smith (who I don’t think belongs in) is a non-flashy, humble, guy but his impact on that team was immense! It’s guys like that that will never get the recognition they deserve...but coaches and players know.

There has to be a better way than what they are doing now.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Meh. It is the same way that HOF's across almost all sports have been doing it for a long time. It is only getting contentious as time goes by because the fans see all the players now. It wasn't that long ago that you never saw players outside your region so you really had no idea. Now we can all see these guys play and read their stats. Top that off with the nonsense and waste of time debates about who is and isn't HOF worthy and it just gets really dumb really quickly.

I think Frank Gore is a really good NFL player. Has been for a long time. If you don't enshrine the 3rd highest rusher in the history of the sport -- who the heck do you enshrine? Is he the most dominant guy ever? Nope. Is he going to make any of those "Best NFL RBs of all time lists"? Likely not.

But I have never understood the constant hand wringing about the benchmarks and criteria the various HOFs use. If you care about it -- great! Have a tremendous amount of fun and enjoyment thinking about it. I mean that in all seriousness. But I have just never gotten it. For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, the HOF stuff just never really interested me. I have opinions and whatnot, but just can't seem to find the energy to really care...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But I have just never gotten it. For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, the HOF stuff just never really interested me. I have opinions and whatnot, but just can't seem to find the energy to really care...
    For the guys you KNOW belong there, it's a mere formality; there was never any doubt.

For guys who you're on the fence about, even if they get in, it's still like, "Meh, I guess."

Either way it doesn't change much.

The only times I get that interested in HOF discussions are the rare cases when a guy who probably should've gotten in doesn't. (Roger Craig comes to mind, among others.) Then there's something to talk about.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Gore is probably one of the most (if not the most) under-appreciated players the league has ever seen. He hasn’t done anything flashy, he doesn’t do anything bad, he’s just very consistent and very dependable. While players take turns being better than Gore, gore has always been consistent. I don’t think he’s hall of fame talent and if you wrote out the story of the NFL, you could do it without mentioning Frank
    Gore once...but I come from the camp that if Terrell Davis is in, Frank Gore should be in.
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    See, this is where I am conflicted. So Gore is #3 all time on the list, but has only rushed for more than 1,300 yards in one season. Terrell Davis had seasons of 1,500 yards, 1,700 yards and 2,000 yards rushing.

You are correct that you can tell the story of the greats of the NFL and talk Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Franco Harris, …. and not have to mention Frank Gore. I still think Frank Gore is in the Fred Taylor class and it has become a hall of very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If guys like Riggins and Bettis belong in there, so does Gore.

And as far as the "Hall of Very Good" is concerned, that boat has long since sailed - there are already a TON of players in there who are borderline HoF-worthy cases at best (and even that is being charitable). Putting a guy with Gore's credentials in the HoF isn't going to delegitimize it all of a sudden.

Personally, I think the best way to differentiate the truly all-time great players from everyone else anymore is that the best of the best go in as first ballot selections and everyone else gets to wait a while. Gore will be one of the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not to mention Emmitt "Smiff" spending a good chunk of his career behind arguably the best offensive line in NFL history. Hell, I probably could've gained 1,500+ yards a season behind the offensive line Dallas had for roughly the first half of the '90s.

If you want to talk about overrated RBs, one really needs to look no further than the NFL's current career rushing leader.
    I agree with all of these comments. I would like to add if all of these are true, which they are, then Harrison should be in the HOF based on his peak years alone.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    For the guys you KNOW belong there, it's a mere formality; there was never any doubt.

For guys who you're on the fence about, even if they get in, it's still like, "Meh, I guess."

Either way it doesn't change much.

The only times I get that interested in HOF discussions are the rare cases when a guy who probably should've gotten in doesn't. (Roger Craig comes to mind, among others.) Then there's something to talk about.
    Most of the time I don't even manage that. I'm not sure I could name more than a dozen players that I'm certain are in the Hall. Can't explain it but I have zero interest. I'm honestly on this thread because I don't want to be doing what I sat in front of the computer to do.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    All this stuff is so subjective that it does make it hard to get it right.

The stuff about Peter King is what fries me. Not because it's about Steelers players, but because someone placed in a position of power makes God-like decisions to screw over people from receiving the ultimate honor as the culmination of a lifetime of work. In my opinion, any voter that claims to not vote for a player because the organization has too many players, or decides not to vote for Troy Polamalu because he wanted to give that vote to someone that he believes needs it more to get in....should have his voting privileges removed.

I know it's not a perfect system no matter what they do, but some of this obvious bias and stupidity needs to be eliminated.
    Agree 100%. It’s why I feel there should be more to the vote than just some dopey writers. Former and current players and coaches should get a vote. Very limited number of writers should get a vote and a very low percentage of a public vote should count. When I say low, I mean in the 1-5% range. Players and coaches should be in the 30-35 range...making that 70%. Writers get 25-30 and then the rest goes to public.

In no way should this be a writer only thing. A guy like Aaron Smith (who I don’t think belongs in) is a non-flashy, humble, guy but his impact on that team was immense! It’s guys like that that will never get the recognition they deserve...but coaches and players know.
    Could not have said it better myself. Peter King has this weird way of making everything about him and what he is going to do for the game. Like he is some authority on what is and isn't good for the NFL. He also loves to name drop, which leads me to believe its all about Peter King not the players in his eyes.

I love your suggestions 86, some really good ideas there. Especially the weighting of votes.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

MLB is the toughest sport to make the HOF and it's not close .... The NBA is the easiest .... The NFL is in between

But the NFL is the only sport you can be in the HOF because of only one game or a guarantee (Joe Namath) or 2 great playoffs run as probably Eli Manning is going to be there ... He deserves all the credit for 2011, but 2007, Eli was very good in the playoffs but it was more of a team effort.