Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kevin Colbert: ‘We Applauded Devlin Hodges For What He Could Do Under The Circumstances’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Kevin Colbert: ‘We Applauded Devlin Hodges For What He Could Do Under The Circumstances’

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I actually would hope the Steelers have a look at DeShone Kizer and maybe release Hodges. If going to develop a QB as your #3 or #4 guy, at least do it with the 6'4" 235lb prospect with the strong arm. Both are 24 years old, but Kizer has better physical tools IMO.
    I think Lynch will win the job as QB number 3.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Kevin Colbert: ‘We Applauded Devlin Hodges For What He Could Do Under The Circumstances’

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think Lynch will win the job as QB number 3.
    I think so too at this point. But I wonder if you have a room of Rudolph, Lynch, Kizer behind Ben.....does Kizer get the #3 job? Or does Kizer end up on the practice squad?

I just think Kizer had so much upside and came out of college a year too soon. Then Cleveland put him straight in the fire when he should have still been at Notre Dame learning the position better. Let Matt Canada coach Kizer instead of Hodges and I think the potential payoff is so much better.

I think so too at this point. But I wonder if you have a room of Rudolph, Lynch, Kizer behind Ben.....does Kizer get the #3 job? Or does Kizer end up on the practice squad?

I just think Kizer had so much upside and came out of college a year too soon. Then Cleveland put him straight in the fire when he should have still been at Notre Dame learning the position better. Let Matt Canada coach Kizer instead of Hodges and I think the potential payoff is so much better.
    Maybe but at the same time Kizer like Lynch has been released several times by several teams in their career, so maybe they are the same but the advantage that Lynch has right now is that he knows more the playbook of the steelers , so the steelers can't release Lynch or Hodges for a player who doesn't know the playbook of the steelers and that we're not sure that Kizer is much better than his two right now.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Maybe but at the same time Kizer like Lynch has been released several times by several teams in their career, so maybe they are the same but the advantage that Lynch has right now is that he knows more the playbook of the steelers , so the steelers can't release Lynch or Hodges for a player who doesn't know the playbook of the steelers and that we're not sure that Kizer is much better than his two right now.
    Really?? They cant release the 3rd or 4th string QB because they know the playbook?

This team has been for several years and still is entirely invested its success in Ben, just like @Steelers-in-west said in this thread. Changing out the 3rd or 4th string QB is like changing the ice cube trays in my fridge. Its got zero impact on if they can win the AFC North or not.

Really?? They cant release the 3rd or 4th string QB because they know the playbook?

This team has been for several years and still is entirely invested its success in Ben, just like @Steelers-in-west said in this thread. Changing out the 3rd or 4th string QB is like changing the ice cube trays in my fridge. Its got zero impact on if they can win the AFC North or not.
    I don't think Kizer is better than Lynch, so why released Lynch when Kizer doesn't know the playbook

Also, the steelers won some game in the past with their 3rd QB which helped the steelers have a playoff bye, a playoff spot or be in the playoffs race until the end as in 2005,2010,2012,2015 and 2019

Yes if the steelers want to be a contender, Ben needs to play at a good level, but if Ben miss some game it's important to have 1 or 2 options which is capable of winning some game.

I don't think Kizer is better than Lynch, so why released Lynch when Kizer doesn't know the playbook

Also, the steelers won some game in the past with their 3rd QB which helped the steelers have a playoff bye, a playoff spot or be in the playoffs race until the end as in 2005,2010,2012,2015 and 2019

Yes if the steelers want to be a contender, Ben needs to play at a good level, but if Ben miss some game it's important to have 1 or 2 options which is capable of winning some game.
    I think Kizer is better than Hodges. I think Kizer has better upside than Hodges and Lynch. I would check in on Kizer, who was just released by the Raiders and think of signing him and releasing Hodges.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think Kizer is better than Hodges. I think Kizer has better upside than Hodges and Lynch. I would check in on Kizer, who was just released by the Raiders and think of signing him and releasing Hodges.
    All other things being equal I see your point. Ben and Rudolph are the most likely 1&2 in the QB room. Duck($625K) and Lynch($825k) will battle for 3rd. If Lynch pushes past Rudolph($1M), Rudolph needs to walk at this point. IF Duck wins the 3rd spot he's locked in for $675K and is an ERFA in 2021. Not sure how much that plays into deciding the backup to the backup either. Talent for talent, I don't know if it's worth the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    All other things being equal I see your point. Ben and Rudolph are the most likely 1&2 in the QB room. Duck($625K) and Lynch($825k) will battle for 3rd. If Lynch pushes past Rudolph($1M), Rudolph needs to walk at this point. IF Duck wins the 3rd spot he's locked in for $675K and is an ERFA in 2021. Not sure how much that plays into deciding the backup to the backup either. Talent for talent, I don't know if it's worth the debate.
    Yeah, I honestly don't know if Kizer is broken mentally, or didn't have good opportunities to grow, or is even a viable option. I'm just saying I would give him a look and kick the tires. As I said before, Hodges ceiling IMO is being a Bruce Gradkowski type backup....not a NFL starter but a backup, because he doesn't have the physical skills to lead an NFL team to consistent wins.

I think he is the 4th best QB on the roster currently, but we will see as the year progresses, if there is any progress.

I know that Lynch is your guy and maybe Canada can help him clean up his craft if he is willing to put in the work. Kind of has a flat footed Will Grier type delivery that isn't always accurate as you want and maybe there is something that can be improved there.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I would too. This Hodges nonsense is just that. Nonsense. Playbook? meh, what ever. Its time to move on from Ducky. Lynch too, they both suck.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I would too. This Hodges nonsense is just that. Nonsense. Playbook? meh, what ever. Its time to move on from Ducky. Lynch too, they both suck.

Kizer is also awful,maybe even worst….I mean he was a crazy turnovers machine(without production like TD and yards) in 2017 and he was not even good enough to be the backup in Green Bay before the 2019 season

His 2 best games of his career may be against the steelers...He was garbage against every other team….I don't want a backup QB who is a turnovers machine,this is the last thing we need.Hodges was better as rookie that Kizer.

Kizer is also awful,maybe even worst….I mean he was a crazy turnovers machine(without production like TD and yards) in 2017 and he was not even good enough to be the backup in Green Bay before the 2019 season

His 2 best games of his career may be against the steelers...He was garbage against every other team….I don't want a backup QB who is a turnovers machine,this is the last thing we need.Hodges was better as rookie that Kizer.
    As it stands today, Hodges is the 4th best QB on the Steelers roster. We aren't talking about backups, but about developing a 4th string QB into possibly something better.

Hodges was the 4th string to Rudolph, Dobbs and Ben. Now Hodges is the 4th best QB on the roster behind Ben, Rudolph, Lynch.

As it stands today, Hodges is the 4th best QB on the Steelers roster. We aren't talking about backups, but about developing a 4th string QB into possibly something better.

Hodges was the 4th string to Rudolph, Dobbs and Ben. Now Hodges is the 4th best QB on the roster behind Ben, Rudolph, Lynch.
    And if we had Kizer here Ducky would be behind him too. Look, I like the kid and hope he develops into a back-up QB. But that's all he'll ever be, maybe. Kizer is relatively an unknown had terrible coaches and staff in Cleveland when he should have stayed at school. That hindered his development.

I can guarantee you PB that if we had let Duck throw as much as the Browns and GB let Kizer throw, you would have seen worse production.

And if we had Kizer here Ducky would be behind him too. Look, I like the kid and hope he develops into a back-up QB. But that's all he'll ever be, maybe. Kizer is relatively an unknown had terrible coaches and staff in Cleveland when he should have stayed at school. That hindered his development.

I can guarantee you PB that if we had let Duck throw as much as the Browns and GB let Kizer throw, you would have seen worse production.
    Maybe and I know that Hodges is not a good QB, but the Browns were not an all-time bad team in 2017 in terms of talent outside of the QB position...If Ryan Fitzpatrick would have been their QB, they would have won at least 4-5 games.They lost so many close game because of the terrible turnovers by kizer, it was crazy.

We already know that Kizer is an awful QB ... I don't know if it would be good in the CFL ... We can say the same thing with Hodges too, but this move (sign Kizer, free Hodges) would be useless.And in defense of Hodges, in the last 3 games, he played against 3 very good defenses, so of course an undrafted rookie will be awful in his conditions.

Duck is terrible. Kizer is terrible. Duck isn't going to do anything because he doesn't have all the physical tools he needs to play consistently well in NFL. Kizer has some of those tools. You see where we are going with this. Geez. It isn't rocket science.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Kizer may have some better raw physical tools, but...so far - his instincts and mental game at the NFL level are atrocious. Everyone's opinion may vary, but this is a guy who has no mental feel for the game. He starts staring his intended target down from the bench before he gets on the field and keeps doing it once he is under center. He hasn't met a defense that doesn't intermittently confuse him. Sure he has a nice arm and good running skills, but so what? He has very low QB skills.

Duck is the opposite. He knows what is going on mentally, he just lacks the physical tools to exploit that at an NFL level. So...it comes down to what you think a coach can "fix"? Can they fix Kizer's brain parts or can they work around Duck's physical limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Kizer may have some better raw physical tools, but...so far - his instincts and mental game at the NFL level are atrocious. Everyone's opinion may vary, but this is a guy who has no mental feel for the game. He starts staring his intended target down from the bench before he gets on the field and keeps doing it once he is under center. He hasn't met a defense that doesn't intermittently confuse him. Sure he has a nice arm and good running skills, but so what? He has very low QB skills.

Duck is the opposite. He knows what is going on mentally, he just lacks the physical tools to exploit that at an NFL level. So...it comes down to what you think a coach can "fix"? Can they fix Kizer's brain parts or can they work around Duck's physical limitations?
    lol, I don't think either are fixable, but I'd rather try with Kizer than Duck, if that makes sense.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

lol, I don't think either are fixable, but I'd rather try with Kizer than Duck, if that makes sense.
    Sure. I tend to agree. Whenever things are relatively equal (good or bad) -- I would rather bet on the player with more "tools".

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Many of us on here wanted Mahomes, but figured he’d go top ten. Watson would have been our “condolence prize”.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly The fact that they traded up to get Trubisky is what makes it worse than Leaf or Russell.
    The Bears did not even consider Watson in 2017