Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Colbert: ‘We Applauded Devlin Hodges For What He Could Do Under The Circumstances’

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Kevin Colbert: ‘We Applauded Devlin Hodges For What He Could Do Under The Circumstances’

Will be interesting to where Paxton Lynch lands in the QB competition. He got some praise by Colbert
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Kevin Colbert: ‘We Applauded Devlin Hodges For What He Could Do Under The Circumstances’

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    With the rotating dumpster fire that also played QB for the Jags last year and Dobbs didn't play a single snap...that might be a signal that he kinda sucks.
    Yeah, in the burgh he took his eyes off the receivers and looked at the rush, then scrambled to run more than scrambled to find another WR open. Didn't have the arm strength to impress either. I'd say he was gonna look more to run than pass and that doesn't work with a lot of offenses.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, in the burgh he took his eyes off the receivers and looked at the rush, then scrambled to run more than scrambled to find another WR open. Didn't have the arm strength to impress either. I'd say he was gonna look more to run than pass and that doesn't work with a lot of offenses.
    I still totally understand why they drafted him and I totally understand why they cut bait on him. As much flak as they took, look pretty wise getting a draft pick for "forever not little".

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With the rotating dumpster fire that also played QB for the Jags last year and Dobbs didn't play a single snap...that might be a signal that he kinda sucks.
    Agreed. That's pretty much why Steelers fans didn't shed a tear when he was traded. Last season with tandem of Rudolph and Duck the threat was the LOS to about 10-15 yards. For all that Dobbs wasn't he could throw a pretty nice deep ball. Like PB says Dobbs' intermediate game is terrible but does the threat to throw deep soften the box enough for our RBs to get a little breathing room? I think maybe occasionally, but not often enough. The defensive plan still should have been stop the run first and make Dobbs win with his arm. Dobbs offers mobility like Duck but with a deep ball in chamber. But in the end I don't think it makes any difference in the season's outcome. Just a random question.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

To be fair even if Gardner Minshew was not a great QB,he was much better that the QB that the steelers had in 2019....Minshew was 6-6 with the jaguars with 21 TD and 6 INT and 237 yards per start in 12 games...He was not a dumpster fire...I think the steelers would been in the 5th seed with him as QB in 2019 with maybe a playoffs win in Houston if he would have played like that in Pittsburgh too.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I still totally understand why they drafted him and I totally understand why they cut bait on him. As much flak as they took, look pretty wise getting a draft pick for "forever not little".
    They got a 5th for Dobbs. Did they use that 5th to get Nick Vannett last year? I cant recall, but that sounds like a wash.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    To be fair even if Gardner Minshew was not a great QB,he was much better that the QB that the steelers had in 2019....Minshew was 6-6 with the jaguars with 21 TD and 6 INT and 237 yards per start in 12 games...He was not a dumpster fire...I think the steelers would been in the 5th seed with him as QB in 2019 with maybe a playoffs win in Houston if he would have played like that in Pittsburgh too.
    Did you watch him play? He isn't any good. He had early success and then team got tape on him and he cratered. Sounds alot like Rudolph's arc. Minshew is fearless and a risk taker -- but he isn't a very good QB. If Dobbs couldn't take a few snaps from him or a injured Foles -- he wasn't going to do much better than Rudolph/Duck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Agreed. That's pretty much why Steelers fans didn't shed a tear when he was traded. Last season with tandem of Rudolph and Duck the threat was the LOS to about 10-15 yards. For all that Dobbs wasn't he could throw a pretty nice deep ball. Like PB says Dobbs' intermediate game is terrible but does the threat to throw deep soften the box enough for our RBs to get a little breathing room? I think maybe occasionally, but not often enough. The defensive plan still should have been stop the run first and make Dobbs win with his arm. Dobbs offers mobility like Duck but with a deep ball in chamber. But in the end I don't think it makes any difference in the season's outcome. Just a random question.
    That Raiders game in 2018 would say that it would still come out comically bad. Dobbs couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I get it that he came in off the bench cold and all that; but that is the job description of a back-up QB. He was terrible. I think that game was the end of his career in Pittsburgh; we just didn't realize it then.

- - - Updated - - -

They got a 5th for Dobbs. Did they use that 5th to get Nick Vannett last year? I cant recall, but that sounds like a wash.
    That sounds about right. Point is that if Cam Newton can't even get signed and Winston and Dalton had to take crappy back-up jobs - no one was trading even a bag of kicking tees for Dobbs this off-season. So getting anything for him was a "win".

Did you watch him play? He isn't any good. He had early success and then team got tape on him and he cratered. Sounds alot like Rudolph's arc. Minshew is fearless and a risk taker -- but he isn't a very good QB. If Dobbs couldn't take a few snaps from him or a injured Foles -- he wasn't going to do much better than Rudolph/Duck.

- - - Updated - - -

That Raiders game in 2018 would say that it would still come out comically bad. Dobbs couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I get it that he came in off the bench cold and all that; but that is the job description of a back-up QB. He was terrible. I think that game was the end of his career in Pittsburgh; we just didn't realize it then.
    I understand your point but Minshew was not bad enough to be benched by Dobbs but Mason Rudolph was bad enough in the last few games to be benched by an undrafted rookie .... If Dobbs would have been the backup for Rudolph, I think Tomlin would have made the same decision but yes I agree that Dobbs would have been horrible with us.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

A good starter at least(like top 15) ... I mean when a player is drafted in the first 3 rounds, it's not just to be a backup otherwise it's a wasted pick.
    New league rule??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Mark Madden lost his mind once again but this one is way too much.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Not only did the Bears pass on both Mahomes and Watson, they traded up to get Trubisky.

I gotta say: he might be the all-time-worst bust.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Not only did the Bears pass on both Mahomes and Watson, they traded up to get Trubisky.

Difficult to surpass Jamarcus Russell IMO.

Honestly, Trubisky might be a decent reclamation project for somebody. He has all the physical tools, but if I recall correctly he didn't have a lot of college starting experience and there were some great college performances, but some games that he just wilted in the 4th quarter of games. My personal believe was he didn't have the leader mindset to be a star QB in the league and would be best to learn behind somebody for a year or 2.

Everybody was hating on Deshaun Watson that year. Saying if he is there when the Steelers pick, they should pass on him. I always thought he was gonna be the franchise QB in the draft and Trubisky was too much a risk.

I agree

Trubisky isn't as bad as Leaf or Russell were, but the fact that 2 great QBs were drafted after him, he deserves after the fact to be considered as a big bust because of that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Honestly, Trubisky might be a decent reclamation project for somebody. He has all the physical tools, but if I recall correctly he didn't have a lot of college starting experience and there were some great college performances, but some games that he just wilted in the 4th quarter of games. My personal believe was he didn't have the leader mindset to be a star QB in the league and would be best to learn behind somebody for a year or 2.

Everybody was hating on Deshaun Watson that year. Saying if he is there when the Steelers pick, they should pass on him. I always thought he was gonna be the franchise QB in the draft and Trubisky was too much a risk.
    Many of us on here wanted Mahomes, but figured he’d go top ten. Watson would have been our “condolence prize”.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree

Trubisky isn't as bad as Leaf or Russell were, but the fact that 2 great QBs were drafted after him, he deserves after the fact to be considered as a big bust because of that.
    Exactly The fact that they traded up to get Trubisky is what makes it worse than Leaf or Russell.

I remember many wanted Mahomes….But I don't remember for Watson or even Trubisky .

I remember it was considered as a weak QB class but 2 of the 3 best QB drafted in the last 5-6 years were in this draft class in Watson and Mahomes.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

To me, Watson was the only known quantity in that QB class. I thought he was the only guy that you just knew would be a very good quarterback. It was Watson and then everybody else IMO.

Of the rest of them, I thought Mahomes had the biggest tool chest and ceiling. He was the guy that if you were betting on someone to be drafted later and turn into a star, it would be him.

I also agree that Trubisky probably would have done better if he had some time to sit and learn for a while. He may be a very good backup at some point. Lots of physical gifts, very athletic, and time to master an offense before being thrown into it. Moving up to get Trubisky was a huge miss.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    To me, Watson was the only known quantity in that QB class. I thought he was the only guy that you just knew would be a very good quarterback. It was Watson and then everybody else IMO.

Of the rest of them, I thought Mahomes had the biggest tool chest and ceiling. He was the guy that if you were betting on someone to be drafted later and turn into a star, it would be him.

I also agree that Trubisky probably would have done better if he had some time to sit and learn for a while. He may be a very good backup at some point. Lots of physical gifts, very athletic, and time to master an offense before being thrown into it. Moving up to get Trubisky was a huge miss.
    Yeah, I agree with you. When Watson was a freshman at Clemson he was making some amazing throws and decisions...I thought at that time he could be great. Then all he did in his final 2 college seasons was go to the National Championship game and put up 500+ yards passing and multiple TD games against Alabama teams that were loaded with future NFL first round picks. TWICE.

Somebody in the media said that Watson could fall to the Steelers in the draft (at 24?) and the majority of fans on that thread were all yelling bust, overrated, just a running QB, etc. I don't know what is more of a sure thing than a guy having 500 yard passing games and winning against an opposing defense made up of NFL talent.

IMO, Deshaun Watson was a sure thing in that draft and Mahomes was gonna be boom or bust. Trubisky, a project, but successful if handled the right way, but not the leader mindset.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Yeah, I agree with you. When Watson was a freshman at Clemson he was making some amazing throws and decisions...I thought at that time he could be great. Then all he did in his final 2 college seasons was go to the National Championship game and put up 500+ yards passing and multiple TD games against Alabama teams that were loaded with future NFL first round picks. TWICE.

Somebody in the media said that Watson could fall to the Steelers in the draft (at 24?) and the majority of fans on that thread were all yelling bust, overrated, just a running QB, etc. I don't know what is more of a sure thing than a guy having 500 yard passing games and winning against an opposing defense made up of NFL talent.

IMO, Deshaun Watson was a sure thing in that draft and Mahomes was gonna be boom or bust. Trubisky, a project, but successful if handled the right way, but not the leader mindset.

The thing I loved about Watson was how no moment was ever too big for him. He played his best football with everything on the line, and was able to carry the team himself. He could play within the offense. He could play and create outside of the offense. He was extremely athletic. He played some of his best games against the best opponents and as you said, against defenses with NFL-level talent all over them. I believed you knew what you were getting with him, and he was a very safe pick to be a very competent NFL QB at worst.

My buddy and I would talk about the draft, and we were hearing the same stuff you were about Watson. We would be looking at each other like, what are these people thinking about? Watson clearly proved he could play the position at a high level, and if you were looking to draft a quarterback that was NFL ready....it had to be him if you were picking early.

I think it was Moujouw that asked me directly who would be the guy to take a chance on in that draft to be a stud, and I told him it was Mahomes.

It's weird when you look back on things and try to remember your own thought processes on players. There are times you whiff, and there are times you get it right.

The thing I loved about Watson was how no moment was ever too big for him. He played his best football with everything on the line, and was able to carry the team himself. He could play within the offense. He could play and create outside of the offense. He was extremely athletic. He played some of his best games against the best opponents and as you said, against defenses with NFL-level talent all over them. I believed you knew what you were getting with him, and he was a very safe pick to be a very competent NFL QB at worst.

My buddy and I would talk about the draft, and we were hearing the same stuff you were about Watson. We would be looking at each other like, what are these people thinking about? Watson clearly proved he could play the position at a high level, and if you were looking to draft a quarterback that was NFL ready....it had to be him if you were picking early.

I think it was Moujouw that asked me directly who would be the guy to take a chance on in that draft to be a stud, and I told him it was Mahomes.

It's weird when you look back on things and try to remember your own thought processes on players. There are times you whiff, and there are times you get it right.
    That all sounds about right. I do remember that by the time of the draft there were several of us floating around here that were on the "if this Mahomes dude were to fall far enough...". Another one that many on here called was Dak Prescott as well. There is a third one that a bunch of us were in on that hasn't happened yet --- but Paxton Lynch.

That all sounds about right. I do remember that by the time of the draft there were several of us floating around here that were on the "if this Mahomes dude were to fall far enough...". Another one that many on here called was Dak Prescott as well. There is a third one that a bunch of us were in on that hasn't happened yet --- but Paxton Lynch.

I think most of us were excited that if Mahomes ever dropped, he would be the one to take a chance on. I never believed that Watson wouldn't be taken early. It just didn't make any sense to me.

I liked Prescott, but not as a high pick. I liked him later in the draft. I wasn't completely sold on him, but I saw raw talent there. I just thought he had a chance if he developed more as a passer because he carried a lot of the load at Miss St. without elite talent everywhere to help.

Looking back, that was a hell of a quarterback class.

Many wanted Prescott... maybe because the Steelers had shown interest.

Missing out on Prescott led to Dobbs being taken the next draft.

I think most of us were excited that if Mahomes ever dropped, he would be the one to take a chance on. I never believed that Watson wouldn't be taken early. It just didn't make any sense to me.

I liked Prescott, but not as a high pick. I liked him later in the draft. I wasn't completely sold on him, but I saw raw talent there. I just thought he had a chance if he developed more as a passer because he carried a lot of the load at Miss St. without elite talent everywhere to help.

Looking back, that was a hell of a quarterback class.
    Many wanted Prescott... maybe because the Steelers had shown interest.

Missing out on Prescott led to Dobbs being taken the next draft.
    Agreed. I don't think anyone was in a hurry to spend a high pick on Prescott. But I distinctly remember Teegre and I talking about Prescott in the 4th round. In fact, I was kinda grumpy about the Hawkins pick. Then Hawkins looked like a legit LT that they got in the 4th round...so it all seemed okay. Then Hawkin's body disintegrated and Dak took off...so unfairly grumpy again...

Agreed. I don't think anyone was in a hurry to spend a high pick on Prescott. But I distinctly remember Teegre and I talking about Prescott in the 4th round. In fact, I was kinda grumpy about the Hawkins pick. Then Hawkins looked like a legit LT that they got in the 4th round...so it all seemed okay. Then Hawkin's body disintegrated and Dak took off...so unfairly grumpy again...
    That is the exact rollercoaster that I rode, as well.

Oh no. No, no, no. That honor goes to Ryan Leaf, followed by JaMarcus Russell and Heath Shuler.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Oh no. No, no, no. That honor goes to Ryan Leaf, followed by JaMarcus Russell and Heath Shuler.
    Not as bad as Leaf and Russell, but he is one of the biggest bust if we consider that QB like Mahomes and Watson were drafted after him ... Decisions like that haunt a team for life!

I mean, remember in 1983 for the steelers with Marino but the difference is that it's been at least 70 years or something like that that the Bears haven't had a real franchise QB!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If Ben goes down again for an extended period we’re looking at 8-8 at best again,

Does a year with Canada make Rudolph and Hodges better? Probably for a game or two. But for an extended period? maybe a little improvement, but not enough to do a Cassell and Patriots 12-4 type playoff season

Translation: all their chips are on Ben this year

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I still have to put Russell as the top QB bust. He got some huge guaranteed money and never looked like he was even trying to be on the team. Leaf had an addiction to pain pills when he got drafted. Yes he was a bust but there were conditions that really helped that. I guess Shuler was a bust considering draft position vs production but again, not as big as Russell.

Ryan Leaf turned out to be a pretty good human being. An awful football player, but a good person. His penchant for self-deprecating humor won me over. On a less humorous note, Lead’s reaction to Tyler Hiinski’s suicide was noteworthy. Good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

Does a year with Canada make Rudolph and Hodges better? r
    I actually would hope the Steelers have a look at DeShone Kizer and maybe release Hodges. If going to develop a QB as your #3 or #4 guy, at least do it with the 6'4" 235lb prospect with the strong arm. Both are 24 years old, but Kizer has better physical tools IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I actually would hope the Steelers have a look at DeShone Kizer and maybe release Hodges. If going to develop a QB as your #3 or #4 guy, at least do it with the 6'4" 235lb prospect with the strong arm. Both are 24 years old, but Kizer has better physical tools IMO.
    Or Paxton Lynch?