Thread: Did the Steelers try to sign Andy Dalton?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Did the Steelers try to sign Andy Dalton?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Did the Steelers try to sign Andy Dalton?

Say it ain't so, Joe!
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

LOL

Not even true...So false that this tweet(by this no name) has been deleted.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

With what money.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Like what would Dalton have to "learn" at this point?

Supposedly this team has offered both Dalton and Winston "more lucrative" deals.

For Dalton, that would seem to be impossible. The Steelers have under $6 million in cap space and the Cowboys gave Dalton a deal worth up to $7 million - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-c...y-dalton-7750/

I get that reasoning is hard but please stop just believing everything that comes over the internet. Even if they did offer both...so what? Every smart NFL team should have; back-up QBs with starting experience are not easy to get ahold of. Still I'm not exactly thinking that either of these guys are the missing piece to a puzzle.

He was kidding….

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    LOL

Not even true...So false that this tweet(by this no name) has been deleted.
    But, its on Twitter so it has to be true doesn't it?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    But, its on Twitter so it has to be true doesn't it?
    Bonjour

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I think Jacksonville would have been a better spot for him but oh well. I'm glad he's in Dallas and the other conference. The Jags will probably tank another season and draft Trevor Lawrence.

Would I have taken him here as a backup? Absolutely for the right money! Imagine him last season over the two guys we ran out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I think Jacksonville would have been a better spot for him but oh well. I'm glad he's in Dallas and the other conference. The Jags will probably tank another season and draft Trevor Lawrence.

Would I have taken him here as a backup? Absolutely for the right money! Imagine him last season over the two guys we ran out there.
    Now I see its fake news.

The Steelers have ignored back up QB for years. Dalton would have been a step up over Landry Jones or Rudy/Duck. Probably would have made the playoffs with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Now I see its fake news.

The Steelers have ignored back up QB for years. Dalton would have been a step up over Landry Jones or Rudy/Duck. Probably would have made the playoffs with him.
    The steelers have not ignored back up for years….They drafted a QB in the first 4 rounds in 2017 and 2018.

The steelers have not ignored back up for years….They drafted a QB in the first 4 rounds in 2017 and 2018.

When you settle on Landry Jones for years, you are very cavalier about the backup QB. Rudy and Duck were below what Randy Jones had. Blown 3rd and 4th round picks. The Steeler traded Dobbs for less than what it cost to obtain him.

Can Ben make it though a season at his age coming off an elbow injury? We don't know. What I do know is the Steelers should make the playoffs, but just in case Ben misses time, let's not have a bozo replacing him.

When you settle on Landry Jones for years, you are very cavalier about the backup QB. Rudy and Duck were below what Randy Jones had. Blown 3rd and 4th round picks. The Steeler traded Dobbs for less than what it cost to obtain him.

Can Ben make it though a season at his age coming off an elbow injury? We don't know. What I do know is the Steelers should make the playoffs, but just in case Ben misses time, let's not have a bozo replacing him.

You said ignored ... Difference between ignored and failed.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Do people really think Dallas can win a Super Bowl with Andy Dalton at QB?

Dallas is paying Dalton $3million guaranteed and up to $7million for one season as the backup QB, where he will likely test the FA market the following season. Mason Rudolph is going to earn $1.07million this season. No need to spend a bunch of money and use a bunch of cap space on a backup QB that likely cant lead you to a title anyways.

So who really cares about a fake tweet by some guy? More entertaining watching Andy Filliponi cry on twitter that people are being mean to him for posting dumb stuff, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dallas is paying Dalton $3million guaranteed and up to $7million for one season as the backup QB, where he will likely test the FA market the following season. Mason Rudolph is going to earn $1.07million this season. No need to spend a bunch of money and use a bunch of cap space on a backup QB that likely cant lead you to a title anyways.

So who really cares about a fake tweet by some guy? More entertaining watching Andy Filliponi cry on twitter that people are being mean to him for posting dumb stuff, IMO.
    IF the Cowboys were to win a SuperBowl this season I would give a better chance with Dalton than with Dak. I do not think Dak is a bad QB, just knowing that Jerry paid Romo for the shot and he has not paid Dak. AND he brought in Dalton which seems like a 'sign the offer, Dak' type move.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    AND he brought in Dalton which seems like a 'sign the offer, Dak' type move.
    I agree with this part. Dalton is decent backup at best, not a franchise player and won't get you a SB ring, in my opinion. Bunghole caliber player.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I agree with this part. Dalton is decent backup at best, not a franchise player and won't get you a SB ring, in my opinion. Bunghole caliber player.
    Dalton with a great defense could easily "manage the offense" to a win much like Trent Dilfer did. Let's face it, if we had Dalton last season we easily make the playoffs and probably even win a round.

Dalton is not much worse that Flacco was in his prime but the big difference is that Flacco has been crazy hot at the perfect time in one postseason and Dalton was often at his worst in the playoffs,in primetime or against the steelers(3-13 vs steelers in his career and his team never scored 22 points or more against the steelers defense)

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

It's all a big con! We let Dallas sign him knowing they will win the Superbowl with him at quarterback and then next year we sign Dak for a Snickers and bag of chips

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

You said ignored ... Difference between ignored and failed.
    Yes and by keeping Landy Jones as the back up who started in 2015, 2016 and 2017, the Steelers ignored this position. He sucked.

Do people think Dallas can win a Super Bowl with Dalton? Some of the people in Dallas might.

The difference between Dalton and Prescott on the field not that big. The difference between $3,000,000,00 million and the tag amount ( $24,373,000 ) for QB is huge. $20 million With this cap space Dallas can drop Prescott and pick up two really good veteran free agents.

Dallas can rescind the offer. Prescott better sign soon.

Yes and by keeping Landy Jones as the back up who started in 2015, 2016 and 2017, the Steelers ignored this position. He sucked.
    And it had no impact on the steelers.