Thread: The Bengals are releasing QB Andy Dalton

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Bengals are releasing QB Andy Dalton

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Bengals are releasing QB Andy Dalton

He’ll be a Jaguar by the end of the day.

His former OC is there...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That would be funny if Belichick had Daulton hand picked as part of his master plan and handled this the way he did.

Out of all the names mentioned, Daultin is the best name for a back up...IF...they were to sign a veteran back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Someone said that Foles restructured and that his deal is three years with a cap hit of only $5.5M?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Someone said that Foles restructured and that his deal is three years with a cap hit of only $5.5M?
    The details of his contract

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-...ck-foles-9898/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

When Burrow takes a vicious hit and has to sit out a couple plays for concussion protocol who comes in to backup now? Is McCarron still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    When Burrow takes a vicious hit and has to sit out a couple plays for concussion protocol who comes in to backup now? Is McCarron still there?
    McCarron was with the raiders in 2018 and the texans last year...The backup QB for the Bengals is Ryan Finley.He started 3 game in 2019 and one of his game was against the steelers in week 12.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gamelog/2019/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers should sign Dalton. They need a backup QB in order to make the playoffs. After all they were COMPLETE IDIOTS for not drafting Jalen Hurts or signing Jameis Winston

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    McCarron was with the raiders in 2018 and the texans last year...The backup QB for the Bengals is Ryan Finley.He started 3 game in 2019 and one of his game was against the steelers in week 12.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gamelog/2019/
    Right, Ryan Finley. My thoughts are so scrambled right now with who went where I can't even keep straight who was already there. I liked Finley at NCState but scouts reported he has a weak arm for the NFL. I'm actually curious to watch Drew Lock in Denver. That pick might be the make or break for Elway's GM career there.

But staying on topic, who is the leader for hiring Dalton right now? Probably a Fizmagic type backup role?

Right, Ryan Finley. My thoughts are so scrambled right now with who went where I can't even keep straight who was already there. I liked Finley at NCState but scouts reported he has a weak arm for the NFL. I'm actually curious to watch Drew Lock in Denver. That pick might be the make or break for Elway's GM career there.

But staying on topic, who is the leader for hiring Dalton right now? Probably a Fizmagic type backup role?
    Or the starter of the Patriots?

Maybe the Jaguars too

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Steelers should sign Dalton. They need a backup QB in order to make the playoffs. After all they were COMPLETE IDIOTS for not drafting Jalen Hurts or signing Jameis Winston
    Idiots for not drafting Hurts or signing Winston?...pot meet kettle

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

I prefer Dalton over Winston and Newton as backup...Less drama with that but it will not happen and I can live with that!

I would actually feel better going into the 2020 season with the QB room Ben, Dalton, Lynch honestly.

No offense, but this may be the dumbest post out there and sums up everything wrong with part of the Steelers fan base.

Although Dalton is probably the best option out there. Winston and Hurts both suck and neither would do any better than Rudolph or Duck. Both Rudolph and Duck did EXACTLY what a backup QB should do: .500.

No offense, but this may be the dumbest post out there and sums up everything wrong with part of the Steelers fan base.

Although Dalton is probably the best option out there. Winston and Hurts both suck and neither would do any better than Rudolph or Duck. Both Rudolph and Duck did EXACTLY what a backup QB should do: .500.
    I'm sure it was sarcasm!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I would question that last part. Yes, we went .500 in those games, but largely in spite of our QB play, not because of it, or even because the backups did what you would call a "neutral" job. It was pretty shaky play at best, and you want to do better than that, backup or no.

On the other hand, we certainly can't afford to spend a lot more on it, so we're mostly stuck hoping one of our existing guys can improve to be "good enough." That is still not out of the question, so I can understand why we're doing it that way.

The entire season will hinge, as it always has, on Ben being able to play for all but maybe a handful of games.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Our QB backup was garbage in 2019 but I think the steelers believe that Mason will be better in 2020 ... We will see but of course our season will depend on Ben's health.But Jameis Winston was also hot garbage in 2019 despite all his weapons in Tampa Bay ... The other years before he was not much better too.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I would question that last part. Yes, we went .500 in those games, but largely in spite of our QB play, not because of it, or even because the backups did what you would call a "neutral" job. It was pretty shaky play at best, and you want to do better than that, backup or no.

On the other hand, we certainly can't afford to spend a lot more on it, so we're mostly stuck hoping one of our existing guys can improve to be "good enough." That is still not out of the question, so I can understand why we're doing it that way.

The entire season will hinge, as it always has, on Ben being able to play for all but maybe a handful of games.
    .500 is .500. Footballs a team sport. If a QB throws 4 INTs a game but the team wins three Super Bowls in a row...I ain’t complaining. There’s a lot of other players out there as well. Bottom line is they went .500 or better. That’s all I care about. I don’t care how pretty they look doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I'm sure it was sarcasm!
    I hope so...lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

.500 is .500. Footballs a team sport. If a QB throws 4 INTs a game but the team wins three Super Bowls in a row...I ain’t complaining. There’s a lot of other players out there as well. Bottom line is they went .500 or better. That’s all I care about. I don’t care how pretty they look doing it.
    What I care about is that with slightly better QB play, we could've gone better than .500 and made the playoffs. Not even "good" QB play, just average to below-average instead of awful.

Like ... .500 is .500, but terrible performance is terrible performance too. I am glad the other members of the team were good enough to make up for the QB shortcomings half the time, but you can't just ignore that it was a problem that cost us at least a few games.

The best solution to the backup QB problem is not needing your backup, so hopefully that is what happens!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

What I care about is that with slightly better QB play, we could've gone better than .500 and made the playoffs. Not even "good" QB play, just average to below-average instead of awful.

Like ... .500 is .500, but terrible performance is terrible performance too. I am glad the other members of the team were good enough to make up for the QB shortcomings half the time, but you can't just ignore that it was a problem that cost us at least a few games.

The best solution to the backup QB problem is not needing your backup, so hopefully that is what happens!

I agree with you on this….With average or even below average QB play(like Charlie Batch) instead of awful the steelers would make the playoffs with 10 or 11 wins...Maybe a playoffs win in Houston would been possible in this scenario too.The steelers did not win one game because of their offense in 2019.....10 TD in the last 9 games too and the steelers were 5-4 in his games!

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I hope so...lol.
    In no way was that sarcasm.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

I would actually feel better going into the 2020 season with the QB room Ben, Dalton, Lynch honestly.
    I would as well. And, although he's 32 years old, he's someone that could start for a season or two and at the very least, give us a chance to make the playoffs as we draft and groom someone if Ben ends up retiring after this year or next.

But, it seems Rudolph is the back up. Period. Of course, this'll be his third season and he did look pretty good that last half he played before he was injured. So, maybe, we get enough progression out of him that it's worth sticking with him until we get the franchise guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I would as well. And, although he's 32 years old, he's someone that could start for a season or two and at the very least, give us a chance to make the playoffs as we draft and groom someone if Ben ends up retiring after this year or next.

But, it seems Rudolph is the back up. Period. Of course, this'll be his third season and he did look pretty good that last half he played before he was injured. So, maybe, we get enough progression out of him that it's worth sticking with him until we get the franchise guy.
    I honestly don't know if there was ANY progress with Rudolph or if the OC just dumbed down the play calling even more. Rudolph or Duck, Duck or Rudolph? What was the difference really. Dalton is a version of Fitz-Magic you bring in for insurance.

The Bengals are releasing QB Andy Dalton

I think we all would want that but really what most GMs will tell you is that they want the backup to go .500 while the starter is out. No one anticipates that the starter will get injured and be gone the whole season. It’s just not a way you can operate successfully. So Rudolph (and Duck) both did exactly what they were supposed to do. You could say that if the O-Line held their blocks longer that maybe they win an extra game or two. Blame can be put in a lot of places, including Rudolph.

I’m on record as saying I’d sign Dalton (or Flacco) before I’d sign Newton or Winston or draft Hurts. The veterans would help but at the same time, it’s not the necessity that people are making it out to be...at least in my opinion...which matters very little...lol

I think we all would want that but really what most GMs will tell you is that they want the backup to go .500 while the starter is out. No one anticipates that the starter will get injured and be gone the whole season. It’s just not a way you can operate successfully. So Rudolph (and Duck) both did exactly what they were supposed to do. You could say that if the O-Line held their blocks longer that maybe they win an extra game or two. Blame can be put in a lot of places, including Rudolph.

I’m on record as saying I’d sign Dalton (or Flacco) before I’d sign Newton or Winston or draft Hurts. The veterans would help but at the same time, it’s not the necessity that people are making it out to be...at least in my opinion...which matters very little...lol
    Problem is that Rudolph was not drafted in the 3rd round to be just a backup and a .500 QB even with a great defense.