Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it realistic to think that Roethlisberger can stay healthy and play at a good level in 2020?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Is it realistic to think that Roethlisberger can stay healthy and play at a good level in 2020?

Several critics the Steelers lately to not have drafted a QB or not signed Jameis Winston because they think Ben can't stay healthy.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Re: Is it realistic to think that Roethlisberger can stay healthy and play at a good level in 2020?

Is it unrealistic? Not at all. Will he?..... that remains to be seen.

Tampa Bay is the Browns of last year... IMO. I'll be shocked if Brady has a good year.... and Gronk.

There are no guarantees in this league. Every team has a shot, some more than others, given talent levels and what may happen with injuries. I think the Steelers look very promising IF Ben stays healthy.

Way too many people think that KC is going to dominate again.... I don't think so. Just my opinion.

I think the Steelers will be in it all the way this year, barring unforeseen injuries.

Re: Is it realistic to think that Roethlisberger can stay healthy and play at a good level in 2020?

another one…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Tampa Bay is the Browns of last year... IMO. I'll be shocked if Brady has a good year.... and Gronk.

There are no guarantees in this league. Every team has a shot, some more than others, given talent levels and what may happen with injuries. I think the Steelers look very promising IF Ben stays healthy.

Way too many people think that KC is going to dominate again.... I don't think so. Just my opinion.

I think the Steelers will be in it all the way this year, barring unforeseen injuries.
    Just my opinion....The Buccs are contenders on paper but for good reason. Brady, Gronk, and Edelman. Add the best players for the Buccs and they really are a scary team offensively. Winston threw for over 5000 yards. Defensively I have no idea though. They were terrible vs the pass(over 4000 yards) but number 1 vs the run. Is this because it was so easy to pass against them or were they really stout vs the run so teams were forced to pass the ball?

EVERYTHING depends on Ben staying healthy and the QB for this offense. As long as Ben remains the QB this team has a shot at greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just my opinion....The Buccs are contenders on paper but for good reason. Brady, Gronk, and Edelman. Add the best players for the Buccs and they really are a scary team offensively. Winston threw for over 5000 yards. Defensively I have no idea though. They were terrible vs the pass(over 4000 yards) but number 1 vs the run. Is this because it was so easy to pass against them or were they really stout vs the run so teams were forced to pass the ball?
    The bucs don't have a bad defense..First against the run(in yards per run) and 12th in yards per pass attempts...The reason why they give up a lot of points in 2019 was because of the turnovers on offense(7 pick 6 and 30th in field position on defense)

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/tam/2019.htm

But back to the topic...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

So every talking head says the Packers are fools for drafting a quarterback and not getting supporting players at key positions for an aging star quarterback in Aaron Rodgers because they made a run last year.........but the Steelers are fools for not drafting a quarterback and drafting players to win with their aging star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who missed nearly the entire season last year, because they were a quarterback away from making the playoffs and making a run?

Alrighty then!

The know-it-all, make it up as they go, create a narrative, push an agenda, kiss the ass of players they like media is at it again. What a shock.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

EVERYTHING depends on Ben staying healthy and the QB for this offense. As long as Ben remains the QB this team has a shot at greatness.
    Edelman??

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

IF the elbow is 100%...watch out.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Edelman??
    Doomed to happen.

I saw a story on an Edelman trade to Tampa and why it makes sense for both. I just went on and made the leap. Any reasons why not?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    So every talking head says the Packers are fools for drafting a quarterback and not getting supporting players at key positions for an aging star quarterback in Aaron Rodgers because they made a run last year.........but the Steelers are fools for not drafting a quarterback and drafting players to win with their aging star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who missed nearly the entire season last year, because they were a quarterback away from making the playoffs and making a run?

Alrighty then!

The know-it-all, make it up as they go, create a narrative, push an agenda, kiss the ass of players they like media is at it again. What a shock.
    Analysis and detailed breakdown doesn't get ratings and clicks. But hot takes and spicy stories get people to click and hate post a response. It's the same low end trick radio hosts have been using for decades.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    another one…

when the waterboy is the football expert in the room its time to go to a different room
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes. It's perfectly reasonable.

Do I think it will happen? No. It all depends on which Ben shows up. If we get any resembling the 2018/2019 rendition, the Steelers are staring at another 8-9 win season with no playoffs. Right now, the big narrative going on in Steeler land is that Ben is the savior to the teams' problems. We don't know for sure right now, but that is the narrative we're holding onto. There's really nothing else to go on if you want to be optimistic about the 2020 Steelers.

That, and maybe the new 7th seed. The Steelers have a very good shot at the playoffs with Ben if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Yes. It's perfectly reasonable.

Do I think it will happen? No. It all depends on which Ben shows up. If we get any resembling the 2018/2019 rendition, the Steelers are staring at another 8-9 win season with no playoffs. Right now, the big narrative going on in Steeler land is that Ben is the savior to the teams' problems. We don't know for sure right now, but that is the narrative we're holding onto. There's really nothing else to go on if you want to be optimistic about the 2020 Steelers.

That, and maybe the new 7th seed. The Steelers have a very good shot at the playoffs with Ben if that's the case.
    What about the defense?

If Ben play at a good level and our defense continue to be dominant(even without the turnovers) the steelers will be higher that the 7 seed...I take the 2018 offense every time too...Ben don't need to be the savior and just to be good after the disaster at the QB position last year.

Another exemple of the disaster of the QB position in 2019

The comments of Nate Burleson was not much better…

….

After Brandt said what he had to say, former NFL wide receiver Nate Burleson took his turn
    “I’m right there with you. I love that idea. Superman [Cam Newton] and the city of steel,” Burleson said. “For me, I’m looking at Big Ben [Roethlisberger] and his influence on this team. So, if you’re asking me if this is a big deal or no big deal, it’s a big deal because I feel like Big Ben, he somewhat kind of orchestrated them not drafting a quarterback. If you look at him being banged up and then Mason and Devlin were not really doing their thing, they should’ve went quarterback. But what happened was, they looked back a couple of drafts ago when Mason Rudolph was drafted in the third round and Big Ben came out and was like, ‘Well, I’m surprised they took a QB in third round. I thought maybe we can get a player that can help us now. Nothing against Mason, I just feel like we can get a guy that can help us right now.’ He went on to say when asked, ‘Well what if Mason ask you a question?’ He said, ‘I might just have to point him to the playbook.’ So, he wasn’t going to mentor him. He wasn’t happy with the third-round selection. So, what if they did that again? Big Ben would’ve spoke out again. So, I think it’s a big deal because at his age, even being dinged-up, Big Ben is influencing the decisions that they make.’

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/go...tion-in-draft/

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Realistic...possible...probable...unlikely...take your pick.
    Unfortunately, Father Time never takes a day off.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

another one…

Adam 'I LOVE Aaron Rodgers' Schien is a total joke of a sports caster.
    He talked out of both sides of his mouth all the time.
    Every year he says the Packers didn't do enough for his boi A-Rod, yet in the same article or tid bit he'll say but it's Aaron he doesn't 'need' help.
    Wait, what? which is it does he or doesn't he?

So I didn't listen to this BS but regardless of what he did say it's wrong.
    He's got zero credibility in my book.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

another one…

LOL, the sports media is trying to convince us that signing a QB who never made the playoffs will be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. Think before you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    LOL, the sports media is trying to convince us that signing a QB who never made the playoffs will be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. Think before you speak.
    And Winston's stats (Yards and TD) would have been much worse last year if he had been in a depleted offense like the steelers in 2019 instead of playing in a loaded and underrated offense like the Bucs.His turnovers at a record pace are the only reason why the Bucs did not have a winning record in 2019.

The most overrated QB in the NFL right now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Realistic...possible...probable...unlikely...take your pick.
    Unfortunately, Father Time never takes a day off.
    I agree, but I still think that Ben will be good in 2020 if he is recovered from his elbow injury.This is the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is just getting sad and old. Here is the list of guys that have been signed https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...l/quarterback/ -- that covers veterans. There were really only two options available that might have fit the bill. That being "cheap" and "not wanting to start" -- Mariotta and Winston. I'm not certain that Mariotta is better than what is already on the roster (likely, but it is closer than you would think) and he signed for $7.5 million; so no exactly cheap! The other is Winston and its pretty clear neither the team nor the player were interested in each other.

For the draft, I guess you could argue that they should have taken Eason in the third round? I don't know - maybe? I still kinda think that if he was sitting on the board when they picked in the fourth that there might have been a serious discussion about taking him.

Point is that these talking heads love to offer hot takes on things and then ignore the realities of what they offering. Find a veteran borderline starter that signs for less than $3 million per year. Ok. Winston and no one else. I don't think that Winston takes the deal he did take anywhere besides New Orleans. Find the rookie QB they should have drafted. Hurts? Please. Eason? MAYBE? After that...is anyone better than what they already have?

It is a clever talking point, because you can sound smart for a minute or three banging on about it. But if you stop and look at it with any detail, it all falls apart.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

This guy needs to come out of his mothers basement once and a while.

Or at the very least get a dictionary and look up the word evidence. Its that thing you use sometimes before you open your mouth.

The idea that the Packers drafted a QB just to spite Aaron Rodgers is even dumber than Steelers speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is just getting sad and old. Here is the list of guys that have been signed https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...l/quarterback/ -- that covers veterans. There were really only two options available that might have fit the bill. That being "cheap" and "not wanting to start" -- Mariotta and Winston. I'm not certain that Mariotta is better than what is already on the roster (likely, but it is closer than you would think) and he signed for $7.5 million; so no exactly cheap! The other is Winston and its pretty clear neither the team nor the player were interested in each other.

For the draft, I guess you could argue that they should have taken Eason in the third round? I don't know - maybe? I still kinda think that if he was sitting on the board when they picked in the fourth that there might have been a serious discussion about taking him.

Point is that these talking heads love to offer hot takes on things and then ignore the realities of what they offering. Find a veteran borderline starter that signs for less than $3 million per year. Ok. Winston and no one else. I don't think that Winston takes the deal he did take anywhere besides New Orleans. Find the rookie QB they should have drafted. Hurts? Please. Eason? MAYBE? After that...is anyone better than what they already have?

It is a clever talking point, because you can sound smart for a minute or three banging on about it. But if you stop and look at it with any detail, it all falls apart.
    I still prefer to wait next year to draft a QB since it takes no time to develop a QB now in the NFL if this QB is good ..... I mean, the last 2 MVPs, they won after only 2 seasons in the NFL, maybe almost 3 if Wentz would have remained healthy in 2017.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Exactly.

What is the consensus on how long does it take for a rookie QB to develop to a point where he can be an effective starter? 1 year, 2 years, more?
    Do fans really expect Ben to be "healthy and playing at a good level" when he is 40 years old?

Depending on how some answer those questions and some simple Grade 2 math should then determine when they will need to acquire a new franchise QB, either draft of Free Agency.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I still prefer to wait next year to draft a QB since it takes no time to develop a QB now in the NFL if this QB is good ..... I mean, the last 2 MVPs, they won after only 2 seasons in the NFL, maybe almost 3 if Wentz would have remained healthy in 2017.
    Yeah, it takes no time to develop a QB in the NFL. Ask the Browns, Jets, Bills, Bears, Titans, Bucs, Broncos how they feel about the 1st round QB's they drafted in the past few years.

Word on the street is that drafting a franchise QB isn't actually a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Exactly.

What is the consensus on how long does it take for a rookie QB to develop to a point where he can be an effective starter? 1 year, 2 years, more?
    Do fans really expect Ben to be "healthy and playing at a good level" when he is 40 years old?

Depending on how some answer those questions and some simple Grade 2 math should then determine when they will need to acquire a new franchise QB, either draft of Free Agency.
    I don't think anyone is really denying that math. But in 2020, what was the play then? Sorry, I am not signing up for Jameis Winston - he just isn't all that good. So look to the draft. Jalen Hurts or Jacob Eason. Those are the choices. Does either of those guys scream "franchise cornerstone" when you watch them play? For me, the answer is an easy "nope".

Now, I said it in the draft thread and here that if Eason would have got past the Colts in the fourth; gotta have a serious thinker about pulling the trigger on him there. But to not take the two needs they did earlier to draft Eason...that just seems like you are punting on 2020...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, it takes no time to develop a QB in the NFL. Ask the Browns, Jets, Bills, Bears, Titans, Bucs, Broncos how they feel about the 1st round QB's they drafted in the past few years.

Word on the street is that drafting a franchise QB isn't actually a sure thing.
    I said if this QB is good….

Just looking at some of the best QB that was drafted in this decade, they were all good in the first 2 years for the most part(Newton,Dalton,Luck,Wilson,Wentz,Prescott,Wats on,Mahomes,Lamar Jackson…)

His QB are not all MVP caliber QB or even great QB, but it's realistic to think you can have success with a young QB, but the important thing is to draft a good QB and if the steelers have the chance to draft one, they must not miss their chance and they must put him in a good situation.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    This guy needs to come out of his mothers basement once and a while.

Or at the very least get a dictionary and look up the word evidence. Its that thing you use sometimes before you open your mouth.

The idea that the Packers drafted a QB just to spite Aaron Rodgers is even dumber than Steelers speculation.
    Who is this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

another one…

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

How many seasons has Ben actually been injured and not completed a full season? Not counting sitting out the last week for whatever reason? People continue to say he’s injured every year and that’s just not true...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler