Thread: Predicting the 53

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Predicting the 53

Now that we are at our 90 man limit roster who are your locks, your guys headed out, and who are the guys that have a chance but must play their way onto the roster? 10 guys make the PS too. This is going to be tough at some positions.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Predicting the 53

First draft...
    Offense:
    QB - Ben, Rudolph, Lynch
    RB - Conner, Snell, Samuels, McFarland, Watt
    TE - McDonald, Ebron, Gentry
    OL - AV, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Okorafor, Banner, Wisniewski, Dotson
    WR - JuJu, Johnson, Washington, Claypool, Henderson, Cain

Defense:
    DL - Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, Wormley, Davis
    OLB - Watt, Dupree, Highsmith, Skipper, Ola
    ILB - VW, Bush, UGIII, Houston
    CB - Haden, Nelson, Sutton, Hilton, Layne, Myres
    Safety - Fitz, Edmunds, Dangerfield, Brooks

Boswell
    Berry
    Canaday

First day I still have all Draft Picks making the 53. I dropped the OL to 8 and added 3OL to PS. Put the RB room at 5.

PS:
    DL Henry Mondeaux
    LS Christian Kuntz
    OL Jarron Jones
    OL Christian DiLauro
    OL Derwin Gray
    QB JT Barrett
    Safety Tyree Kinnell
    TE Christian Scottland-Williamson
    WR Saeed Blacknall
    TE Kevin Rader

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    First draft...
    Offense:
    QB - Ben, Rudolph, Lynch
    RB - Conner, Snell, Samuels, McFarland, Watt
    TE - McDonald, Ebron, Gentry
    OL - AV, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Okorafor, Banner, Wisniewski, Dotson
    WR - JuJu, Johnson, Washington, Claypool, Henderson, Cain

Defense:
    DL - Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, Wormley, Davis
    ILB - VW, Bush, UGIII, Houston

Boswell
    Berry
    Canaday

First day I still have all Draft Picks making the 53. I dropped the OL to 8 and added 3OL to PS. Put the RB room at 5.

PS:
    DL Henry Mondeaux
    LS Christian Kuntz
    OL Jarron Jones
    OL Christian DiLauro
    OL Derwin Gray
    QB JT Barrett
    Safety Tyree Kinnell
    TE Christian Scottland-Williamson
    WR Saeed Blacknall
    TE Kevin Rader
    I agree with the QB

I think Samuel is going to be cut or traded for a very low draft pick before the season.

I'm afraid the steelers will keep Ryan Swister because of Ben

For defense, I would not be surprised if the steelers add a nose tackle and a backup safety between now and before the start of the season.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

My Shot
    QB Ben, Rudolph, and I agree about Lynch over Duck
    RB Conner, Snell, McFarland, Samuels, Watt
    TE - McDonald, Ebron
    OL - AV, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Okorafor, Banner, Wisniewski, Dotson, Jarron Jones
    WR - JuJu, Johnson, Washington, Claypool, Switzer, Cain

DL - Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, Wormley, McCullers
    ILB - VW, Bush, UGIII, Spillane

Boswell
    Berry
    Canada

So I'm thinking go with two TE's . Assuming Claypool lives up relatively well to the hype, he makes up for the third TE duties. Not suggesting he moves to TE - just that he covers the skill set. Maybe Claypool might even play the role of 2nd TE in 2 TE sets sometimes.

Had Samuels off roster for exrta D line but changed my mind.

Keeping 9 o'line. Actually prefer Gray over Jones but think we need tackle depth.

Switzer, not popular with most of us, but Ben seems to like him. Enough said.

I was on the record of saying that all the draft picks would make the team, but I changed my mind. I think Davis goes to the PS. The Steelers like McCullers and he will make the team. Even with that, McCullers still won't start most days. I just don't see room for backup to the backup at NT.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    My Shot
    QB Ben, Rudolph, and I agree about Lynch over Duck
    RB Conner, Snell, McFarland, Samuels, Watt
    TE - McDonald, Ebron
    OL - AV, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Okorafor, Banner, Wisniewski, Dotson, Jarron Jones
    WR - JuJu, Johnson, Washington, Claypool, Switzer, Cain

DL - Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, Wormley, McCullers
    ILB - VW, Bush, UGIII, Spillane

Boswell
    Berry
    Canada

So I'm thinking go with two TE's . Assuming Claypool lives up relatively well to the hype, he makes up for the third TE duties. Not suggesting he moves to TE - just that he covers the skill set. Maybe Claypool might even play the role of 2nd TE in 2 TE sets sometimes.

Had Samuels off roster for exrta D line but changed my mind.

Keeping 9 o'line. Actually prefer Gray over Jones but think we need tackle depth.

Switzer, not popular with most of us, but Ben seems to like him. Enough said.

I was on the record of saying that all the draft picks would make the team, but I changed my mind. I think Davis goes to the PS. The Steelers like McCullers and he will make the team. Even with that, McCullers still won't start most days. I just don't see room for backup to the backup at NT.
    I actually thought about 2TEs too but will they drop Gentry after just his rookie year? Interesting options here.

Steelers still don’t have a true 3-4NT on the roster. If the defense continues with a 2DL with 5LBs look they may not even keep a NT on roster in lieu of NB or DB players.

I think either Samuels or Whyte makes this roster.

Switzer had such a bad 2019 I forget about him. That makes sense that Ben will want him out there opposed to all rookies and second year guys.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

With the new CBA, two practice squad players can be added to the roster on game day so it's basically a 55 man roster.

How about expanded rosters?

Yes. More jobs. That's another way the players benefit. The game-day active roster will increase from 46 to 48 players (although one of the extra players must be an offensive lineman, which will give teams more flexibility to have three extra linemen). Practice squads will expand from 10 players to 12 in 2020 and 2021 and to 14 starting in 2022. Practice-squad salaries also are going up -- the minimum salary is $8,000 per week in the current CBA, and it will rise to $11,500 by 2022 -- and those players will be eligible for 401(k) and tuition assistance benefits.

Two practice-squad players per week may be elevated to the team's roster, meaning game-week roster sizes could effectively increase from 53 to 55. And a player elevated from the practice squad to the 55-man roster could be sent back to the practice squad two times without having to clear waivers.

The changes will give teams more flexibility in managing their rosters and, if utilized fully, will offer more opportunity for practice-squad players to earn active-roster salaries.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-schedule-work
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

switzer will never be cut as long as ben is here

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    With the new CBA, two practice squad players can be added to the roster on game day so it's basically a 55 man roster.

i

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-schedule-work
    Interesting. I did not know that. I guess I was more astounded by the fact that you won't get caught for illegal drugs if you can pass a test for a two week period now. That said, I'm not sure how this effects the 53 man roster. Presumably, we could go with one less o'lineman on the 53 and store a few on the practice squad.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben and Switzer have a really good relationship. Switzer also plays a special teams role as a “returner”. I suspect that he gets the 5th WR spot over Cain...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Kozora: 2020 Steelers 53 Man Roster Prediction (Way Too Early Edition)

One of our immediate post-draft traditions is to map out a way-too-early Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2020 roster prediction. Our next best guess will come right before training camp but here’s a way to view the roster with the group mostly settled post-draft.

My first crack at the 53 man roster (which can expand to 55 by shuffling practice squaders on and off) with the new 12 man taxi squad below.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/ko...medium=twitter

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think that’s a pretty accurate roster there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler