Thread: You Know More Than Colbert and Company...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You Know More Than Colbert and Company...

So I always think this is fun. Find a list of the order of the draft picks and "re-draft" for the Steelers. Can pick anyone who went after their actual pick and no repeats of the actual picks.

Denzel Mims
    A. Okwegbunam
    T. Biadascz
    B. Hall
    B. Huff

I get a RB and a DT outside of the draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: You Know More Than Colbert and Company...

Based on 86 views and no replies I’d say most people like to wait until they find out who’s good and then say the Steelers should’ve drafted them. It’s much easier to be smarter than Colbert that way.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I probably would have tried to trade back in round two, but let's see....

DaVon Hamilton DT Ohio State
    La'Mical Perine RB FLA
    Gabriel Davis WR UCF
    Ben Bredeson G Michigan
    Kenny Willekes EDGE Michigan State
    Brian Cole II S Miss State

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

2- Denzel Mims WR

3- Terrell Burgess S

4- Curtis Weaver Edge

4- Tyler Biadasz OL

6- James Robinson RB

7- Josiah Courtney NT

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I have no idea about this year, but the Artie Burns pick still sucked.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’ll play along. This kind of metal exercise can be fun. Besides, we have nothing else to discuss.

45: Antoine Winfield Jr.
    *traded pick #135 (R4) to move up to 45

102: Alex Highsmith (same)

124: Kevin Dotson (same as #135, but earlier)

198: I know nothing about Brooks, and at this point, the only name I really know is from a UC school (Berkeley) ILB, Evan Weaver

232: Again, I know nothing about Davis, and at this point, I had heard good things about Derrek Tuszka (OLB)... mostly because he played at the same school as Carson Wentz (North Dakota State).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I have no idea about this year, but the Artie Burns pick still sucked.
    I can no longer defend this pick. I still agree with the idea but wrong player. Just like I still like the Sweed pick in that it was a wideout, just another one would've been better.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I can no longer defend this pick. I still agree with the idea but wrong player. Just like I still like the Sweed pick in that it was a wideout, just another one would've been better.
    I knew nothing about Sweed in college but I assume he must have caught the football a few times. I’ll never understand how someone just forgets how to do that. The actual football is more or less the same isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I knew nothing about Sweed in college but I assume he must have caught the football a few times. I’ll never understand how someone just forgets how to do that. The actual football is more or less the same isn’t it?
    Honestly, it's one of the weirdest things I've seen. Maybe the football equivalent of Steve blass disease?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's a psychological thing. He had a few drops. Then he started to press. He started dropping more passes. Eventually, he wasn't able to catch almost anything.

It's like the second baseman in baseball that can't throw to first base. Once they lose the confidence to do it, it becomes a psychological fear like claustrophobia that they can't control and they are no longer capable and are forced from the game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You still make that pick, at that point, with that players college credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I would have tried to trade up for Taylor by offering our 3rd round pick, which wasn't enough. with all the resources Colbert has, he should blow dranfnicks away, yet I often find my draft would have been better 3 years after the fact.

2) WR Claypool
    3 ) OG Simpson
    4A MacFarland
    4B ) C Biadasz
    6 ) S Metellus
    7 ) DT/NT Jones
    Last edited by Six Rings; 04-27-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This is one where the talking heads all backed each other up. Mayock had Burns as the #4 corner and Bucky Brooks, DJ, Kiper all were similar. My thoughts were decidedly different, but that's just me and the eye test. I liked Fuller, but he is a slot type CB and Alexander as well, but they reached for a boundary corner.

Some fun reading here http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25647-Welcome-to-the-newest-Steeler-Artie-Burns?highlight=draft+artie+burns

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

If the steelers would have lost the AFC title game in 2008 against the Ravens, its drop at the end of the first half would have haunted the steelers forever

The drop of Sweed was the only reason(and the 2 horrible punt by Berger which gave the 2 TD for the ravens) that this game was close before the pick 6 by Polamalu.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

More than that, I can understand what they saw in Sweed, and he showed occasional flashes of it in the pros, it just didn't work out how they hoped. Sometimes that just happens because you are unlucky. Burns was an ill-conceived gamble to begin with - if you are going to draft for a position, at least take the best player available at that same position.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    This is one where the talking heads all backed each other up. Mayock had Burns as the #4 corner and Bucky Brooks, DJ, Kiper all were similar. My thoughts were decidedly different, but that's just me and the eye test. I liked Fuller, but he is a slot type CB and Alexander as well, but they reached for a boundary corner.

Some fun reading here http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25647-Welcome-to-the-newest-Steeler-Artie-Burns?highlight=draft+artie+burns
    Great stuff! I will stand by a decent amount of what I said in that thread. I still think Artie Burns' biggest problem is that he is likely not very bright. If he could play the game better from the neck up and clean up his technique stuff (which when he was drafted I naively assumed he could/would), then he might have returned value for the pick. Alas, he can't or at least the Steelers coaching staff could never seem to figure out how to get through to him.

I will never understand why Burns just devolved into running stride for stride with a guy and then grabbing him anyways? The thing is, his rookie year wasn't totally awful. Not great, but it seemed like there was something to build on there. And then it just got worse and worse.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Great stuff! I will stand by a decent amount of what I said in that thread. I still think Artie Burns' biggest problem is that he is likely not very bright. If he could play the game better from the neck up and clean up his technique stuff (which when he was drafted I naively assumed he could/would), then he might have returned value for the pick. Alas, he can't or at least the Steelers coaching staff could never seem to figure out how to get through to him.

I will never understand why Burns just devolved into running stride for stride with a guy and then grabbing him anyways? The thing is, his rookie year wasn't totally awful. Not great, but it seemed like there was something to build on there. And then it just got worse and worse.
    Agree with this….He just got worse and worse...So many blown coverage by him in 2017 and in 2018 it was a just awful.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Technique and responsibility are like the foundation of a house. Windows, stone, granite, marble, etc are all the stuff needed afterwards. Burns didn't have a good backpedal or change of direction and he got his college INT's from cheating off his man and jumping routes(gambling). He turned his hips and liked to play bail, but still wandered with his eyes to the QB and didn't seem to ever develop the foundational skills needed.

IMO he looked like a 4th or 5th round pick to me back then, but pundits looked at his long arms, speed and stats of how many INT he had. I seem to recall he had 3 in one game vs a lousy team to pad those stats.

I'm pretty good with the Steelers picks. I like the Claypool pick and didnt realize he was still on the board. I thought Highsmith would be there in the 4th but the Steelers didn't want to risk he wasn't. I'd reach for the DT from Texas Tech in the 4th to play at the nose, but sadly the Ratbirds took him in the 5th.

R2. Claypool
    R3. Highsmith
    R4a. Dotson
    R4. Broderick Washington DT Texas Tech
    R6. Metellus S Michigan
    R7. Stephen Sullivan TE LSU

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

R2 Claypool (Dobbins runner-up)
    R3 Jacob Eason QB
    R4 Highsmith (think he would've been there)
    R4 Dotson
    R6 Brooks
    R7 Dane Jackson CB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here are my thoughts...

SWEED:
    He was a steal in R2. If you gave me ten chances to go back in time, I make that same exact pick ten out of ten times. Really.

The problem was that Sweed has a mental breakdown. He lost all confidence after dropping the go-ahead TD in the Bengals game. The Steelers could have cut him. Instead, the Rooney’s did what the Rooney’s do: they kept him around so that he could have access to psychiatric services. It’s the strangest case of “losing it” I’ve seen from a Steeler since Carlton Haselrig.

BURNS:
    He wanted to come back for his senior season. But, his mom suddenly died, and he was left taking care of two teenage younger brothers. So, he entered the draft. Due to his situation, I vowed that I would root for him... no matter what team he was going to play for. So, that has clouded my judgement about the pick. Oh well.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's a psychological thing. He had a few drops. Then he started to press. He started dropping more passes. Eventually, he wasn't able to catch almost anything.

It's like the second baseman in baseball that can't throw to first base. Once they lose the confidence to do it, it becomes a psychological fear like claustrophobia that they can't control and they are no longer capable and are forced from the game.
    Some say, the legend has it...he never held his child for fear of dropping it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’ll play along. This kind of metal exercise can be fun. Besides, we have nothing else to discuss.

45: Antoine Winfield Jr.
    *traded pick #135 (R4) to move up to 45

102: Alex Highsmith (same)

124: Kevin Dotson (same as #135, but earlier)

198: I know nothing about Brooks, and at this point, the only name I really know is from a UC school (Berkeley) ILB, Evan Weaver

232: Again, I know nothing about Davis, and at this point, I had heard good things about Derrek Tuszka (OLB)... mostly because he played at the same school as Carson Wentz (North Dakota State).

Did I do it wrong? I thought we couldn't draft any of the same players and we could only pick players that were taken after the original draft picks. I also didn't think we could do trades.

So, Ozzie thinks he can do anything he wants? Is that how this is going down?

Did I do it wrong? I thought we couldn't draft any of the same players and we could only pick players that were taken after the original draft picks. I also didn't think we could do trades.

SUMMATION: Some people often paint outside the lines.

Alternative SUMMATION: "My wife says I only have 2 problems....I don't listen well and...something else."

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    SUMMATION: Some people often paint outside the lines.

Alternative SUMMATION: "My wife says I only have 2 problems....I don't listen well and...something else."

Nice.

I only detected an error after looking at other redrafts and thinking I had to have screwed up because I usually don't listen well either.

I was sure it was me that messed up. It feels good to find out I actually did what was asked for a change!

The rest of you are an embarrassment!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

2. Claypool
    3. Highsmith
    4. Rashard Lawrence
    4. Dotson
    6. Geno Stone
    7. Sewo Olonilua
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Jeremiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson 6. Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Ozzie? I know not of said person, and if indeed said person were actually real, I would not knowingly admit to stealing draft picks from this board... nor to bending any stated rules.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I loved Sweed, and would make that pick again today. It was the right pick, but as others have said, you just couldn't predict the mental breakdown.

EXACTLY! I have seen this many times with good pool players(I know I always reference pool, but its all I have to compare, so bare with me. lol). One day a shot they could always execute at a high level bobbles out of the pocket, no biggie, but then it happens again on a very important shot that costs you a game or match. Now its becoming an issue. I have seen guy go from being world beaters to scrubs in just a few months, all because of confidence and psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You still make that pick, at that point, with that players college credentials.
    He was definitely the right pick, you just cant predict what happened to him was going to happen.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

The thing with Limas Sweed is that he was a top 15 pick probably had he played his last year.

However, nobody remembers that he broke his wrist halfway through his senior year. Everyone forgets that part of it. He didn't forget how to catch, he just couldn't catch anymore, physically.

I think he was worth the gamble. Was a great wideout prior to the injury, just after the injury he couldn't really do anymore the most important thing he had to do.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ory?id=3054942