Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Steelers select safety Antoine Brooks Jr #198 overall

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select safety Antoine Brooks Jr #198 overall

It would have been interesting to see how the draft would have unfolded had Kyle Dugger been there at #49. It seems like Antoine Brooks Jr. is a poor man’s version of Dugger.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It would have been interesting to see how the draft would have unfolded had Kyle Dugger been there at #49. It seems like Antoine Brooks Jr. is a poor man’s version of Dugger.
    I don't think there was any way the Steelers were taking a safety at #49. Wasn't a position they needed a starter at. Jeremy Chinn was there and they never gave it a thought

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I don't think there was any way the Steelers were taking a safety at #49. Wasn't a position they needed a starter at. Jeremy Chinn was there and they never gave it a thought
    Maybe

Dugger is indeed the type of hybrid (like Barron) that we’ve been talking about... and they’ve been trying to draft fir a few years.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Maybe

Dugger is indeed the type of hybrid (like Barron) that we’ve been talking about... and they’ve been trying to draft fir a few years.
    Jeremy Chinn is 6'3", 221lbs and ran a 4.45 40 yard dash, with a 41" vertical. He is exactly a hybrid like play that you mention and that Panthers coach Matt Rhule refers to as a "positionless player".

He was there at #49 and the Steelers didn't pick him, so it obviously wasn't that big of a wish to find...or maybe Ben said no

Jeremy Chinn is 6'3", 221lbs and ran a 4.45 40 yard dash, with a 41" vertical. He is exactly a hybrid like play that you mention and that Panthers coach Matt Rhule refers to as a "positionless player".

He was there at #49 and the Steelers didn't pick him, so it obviously wasn't that big of a wish to find...or maybe Ben said no
    Maybe

Or, maybe they didn’t like Chinn.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Vic Fangio said he drafted Chinn to be a LB.

I really liked everything i knew about Chinn going into the draft. Basically that was his measurables and workout numbers. Never saw him play a down of football. I think that is most likely why the Steelers passed on him also. Yes they know more about him but just couldn't get those pre-draft workouts this year.

Maybe

Or, maybe they didn’t like Chinn.
    Its possible, but I think they were focused on getting the best WR they could in a deep WR draft. All this talk of 1st round talent at WR being there in the 2nd, they were going to maximize their 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Vic Fangio said he drafted Chinn to be a LB.

I really liked everything i knew about Chinn going into the draft. Basically that was his measurables and workout numbers. Never saw him play a down of football. I think that is most likely why the Steelers passed on him also. Yes they know more about him but just couldn't get those pre-draft workouts this year.
    Yup, drafted to be a LB, but could be a 220lb box safety.

Steelers knew about Chinn, you can guarantee it. Rod Woodson suggested Chinn in this PG article. https://liber.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2020/04/21/Rod-Woodson-has-some-ideas-for-Kevin-Colbert-when-it-comes-to-this-year-s-draft/stories/202004210123

Ryan Clark said on the Undefeated interview with Dominique Foxworth that Chinn was one of his small school prospects that he mocked to the Bears in the second.

CBS sports wrote an article on him April 13th..."First Round Talent, likely Second Round Pick"

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here's my issue with "draft grades": the evaluation criteria may be variable. Say we are discussing a FS prospect.

Team A has a second round grade on a guy because of how they want to use a player in their system. Team B puts a third round grade on the guy because they ask their safety to do different things.

Play it out even further. Player X is on the board. Universally seen as awesome. BUT... one team wants him to do Thing 1 in their scheme. Another wants him to do Thing 2. Same player, different grades.

Take Chin and Brooks. If the Steelers think the difference between the two is 3 points on a 10 point scale for their hybrid LB/Safety role BUT the difference between say Claypool and another WR is 5 points....draft pick is clear.

Same players. But roles in different systems and roster construction changes priorities. Very infrequently talked about in national draft grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its possible, but I think they were focused on getting the best WR they could in a deep WR draft. All this talk of 1st round talent at WR being there in the 2nd, they were going to maximize their 2nd round pick.
    Maybe the Steelers simply liked Claypool better than Chinn (although, not as much as they liked Dugger).

Rod Woodson stated that a hybrid was probably the Steelers’ biggest need (a replacement for Barron). Why would Rod be talking about a hybrid player (SS/ILB) being a need, if it wasn’t a need??? I’m not sure I follow the logic there... unless... Rod was wrong. Or, maybe Rod was right, but the hybrid that the Steelers had ranked higher simply didn’t fall to them.

As I said, it would have been interesting to see what unfolded if Dugger had been there.