Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers select Maryland RB Anthony McFarland at 124

Re: Steelers select Maryland RB Anthony McFarland at 124

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Or T.J Watt with Jarvis Jones after the 2017 draft!

Edit:I don't compare McFarland with Watt as player of course but this is just I remember to have see this stupid comparaison(maybe not on this board but on Twitter)by some!

Or just in this off season the comparaison of Ebron with Ladarius Green!
    Nope, that was me. I made it because on tape coming out of college, from what I could see, he had problems with bigger, stronger Tackles that had decent mechanics, much like Jones. Watt seemed to get stymied by them quite a bit in the plays I saw (but I believe I noted I was only watching highlights). He also didn't look as fast on tape, but he always showed a great motor. That's why I made the comparison because on tape, it did remind me of a slightly better Jarvis Jones.

Thankfully, that wasn't true. I noticed (and commented) even in the preseason that he looked much faster than he had on tape. I was still worried about his strength, however. But I also said that with his work ethic and that of his family, strength was something that I wouldn't worry about long term because he was sure to work on it. And, he has.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope, that was me. I made it because on tape coming out of college, from what I could see, he had problems with bigger, stronger Tackles that had decent mechanics, much like Jones. Watt seemed to get stymied by them quite a bit in the plays I saw (but I believe I noted I was only watching highlights). He also didn't look as fast on tape, but he always showed a great motor. That's why I made the comparison because on tape, it did remind me of a slightly better Jarvis Jones.

Thankfully, that wasn't true. I noticed (and commented) even in the preseason that he looked much faster than he had on tape. I was still worried about his strength, however. But I also said that with his work ethic and that of his family, strength was something that I wouldn't worry about long term because he was sure to work on it. And, he has.
    I remember that you had doubts about Watt but I have no memory when you compared him to Jarvis Jones

But it's one thing to be wrong since it happens to me or to others often but I have no problems if after they are able to admit that they were wrong ... Some have never been able to admit that they are wrong when this is the case because they are too stubborn and I speak in general like twitter, medias and other!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mike Tomlin On RB Anthony McFarland Jr.: ‘He’s Going To Have An Opportunity To Contribute’

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/mi...to-contribute/

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

Knowing what we know about both Watt and Jones now it’s easy to dismiss the comparison, but hearing you explain your reasoning, it actually does make sense. For all of Jones’s flaws he did have a great motor and, going off of what I read at the time, a great work ethic. So seeing as how we got burned before relying on these qualities to elevate a player to NFL level, I can totally understand your reservations when it came to Watt.

I think I tend to be more optimistic about all our selections, so at the time I think I really put my faith in Watt’s pedigree. I figured he could add strength and I believed his intelligence and work ethic would get him to his ceiling... whatever that happened to be.

All of that stuff about my usual optimism not withstanding, I do worry about this McFarland kid for the exact reasons I did NOT worry about TJ. I don’t trust his intelligence or work ethic enough to trust him to hit his ceiling. Obviously he’s not a first round pick like Watt and Jones, so I’m okay with taking the chance on him. But I hope I’m wrong. We finally have a perfectly humming locker room. Maybe being in such a solid organization with great leaders will have a positive impact on the kid.

I still obviously root for him to succeed.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Reggie Bush was on his Fox Sports show talking about how much he loved Anthony McFarland, Jr.

Bush said that McFarland “could be better than Le’Veon Bell.”

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Reggie Bush was on his Fox Sports show talking about how much he loved Anthony McFarland, Jr.

So McFarland is a fast Le'Veon Bell in his peak!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I have a really difficult time believing this could be true. I like to be optimistic, but this might be a little too much wishful thinking even for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I have a really difficult time believing this could be true. I like to be optimistic, but this might be a little too much wishful thinking even for me.
    agree...Different player….McFarland is more likely to be a player like Willie Parker...Maybe not as good but if he is a homerun hitter,I will be happy.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Bell was a special player. McFarland isn't Bell. He's similar to Devonta Freeman but with 4.4 speed.

Dave Bryan from Steelers Depot has done amazing work breaking down McFarland's tape.

Contextualization Of Anthony McFarland Jr.’s Career Receptions At Maryland
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/co...s-at-maryland/

Contextualization Of Anthony McFarland Jr.’s 2019 Intermediate Runs At Maryland

Contextualization Of Anthony McFarland Jr.’s College Fumbles At Maryland

Contextualization Of Anthony McFarland’s Career Explosive Runs At Maryland
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/co...s-at-maryland/
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I see a hopeful weapon with McFarland. I haven't seen anything that is really a 'WOW' factor though. I can see him being able to make some plays here and there but this will still be a Conner-Snell backfield. I'll trust the offensive coaches to scheme him some touches though.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Reggie Bush isn’t known for his player analysis... but, he appears to be prone to hyperbole.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Reggie Bush isn’t known for his player analysis... but, he appears to be prone to hyperbole.
    Its the Skip Bayless school of sports journalism. Grab attention with sound bite that has very little substance or truth to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Its the Skip Bayless school of sports journalism. Grab attention with sound bite that has very little substance or truth to it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bush said that McFarland “could be better than Le’Veon Bell
    Nah...just another commentator looking to make a “click worthy” statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So a small speed back who never really found a consistent niche or dominant role in the NFL sees a back with similar skills and predicts big things? Shocking. Shocking and unprecedented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So a small speed back who never really found a consistent niche or dominant role in the NFL sees a back with similar skills and predicts big things? Shocking. Shocking and unprecedented.
    Reggie Bush was maybe the most overhyped players before a draft in NFL history.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If you think that is bad, then compare Bush's college production with that of Anthony McFarland and project that out.

Actually, Bush lasted 11 seasons in the NFL and racked up 5,400 yards with 4.3YPC and over 3,500 yards receiving. He didn't live up to the hype, but around 9,000 total yards in the NFL over 11 seasons isn't exactly Dri Archer.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If you think that is bad, then compare Bush's college production with that of Anthony McFarland and project that out.

Actually, Bush lasted 11 seasons in the NFL and racked up 5,400 yards with 4.3YPC and over 3,500 yards receiving. He didn't live up to the hype, but around 9,000 total yards in the NFL over 11 seasons isn't exactly Dri Archer.
    Yeah. I agree. It wasn't so much that Bush was bad or not great or whatever...it is just that I am not surprised that a guy looks around the recent draft class and sees a guy who plays a bit like he did and says "That is what a good RB looks like!".

I can see why McFarland got drafted. Particularly if you stake out the position that 2018 is the "real" version of him as a player. He averaged 8 yards a touch as a freshman. He averaged 2.5 less yards per touch in 2019. Is that the offense, the injury, or a real picture of him as a player?

I am totally ambivalent on this pick. I like the idea of mainlining some speed into the offense. It is/was needed. Is McFarland going to do anything as a pro? No idea. A reasonable case can be made either way, but I am not sure what Bush is seeing to project that he is better than Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Reggie Bush was maybe the most overhyped players before a draft in NFL history.
    Remember how everyone thought the Titans were idiots for passing on him? Instead, they drafted Mario Williams who, in the eleven years he played, had a measly 97.5 sacks and 21 passes defended (as a DE!).

A few things...

Some hated the McFarland pick. Bush compared McFarland to Bell. Somewhere in between is the truth.

At the time, Bush was a “can’t miss” prospect. So was Peter Warrick. Neither player’s college production translated well into the NFL. Bush had a good career, but averaging less than 1,000 total yards per season was certainly not worthy of the second-overall pick.

Well it looks like he’s now gonna wear Bell’s number. Maybe we’ll never know the difference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...a-big-fan/amp/

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/wa...mplete-runner/

Not sure if this has been posted here yet. But I found this really interesting and informative to watch.

McFarland showing more vision and patience than Fast Willie Parker used to.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/05/wa...mplete-runner/

Not sure if this has been posted here yet. But I found this really interesting and informative to watch.

McFarland showing more vision and patience than Fast Willie Parker used to.

I think McFarland sets up his blocks better than Parker did at this stage of both careers. I'm not as down on McFarland as many are. I think he has some wiggle, speed, pretty good vision, and deceptive power with receiving skills. He was underutilized at Maryland IMO, and he has a chance to be a contributor in this offense.

McFarland is NOT Dri Archer as some have claimed. He does not fear contact the way Archer did. He runs between the tackles with pretty good power. He has good hands, and he can do some things with the ball in his hands. I want to see what he can do when he gets a little room to operate, and I want to see if he can catch the ball down the field. I have a feeling that the team does as well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think McFarland sets up his blocks better than Parker did at this stage of both careers. I'm not as down on McFarland as many are. I think he has some wiggle, speed, pretty good vision, and deceptive power with receiving skills. He was underutilized at Maryland IMO, and he has a chance to be a contributor in this offense.

McFarland is NOT Dri Archer as some have claimed. He does not fear contact the way Archer did. He runs between the tackles with pretty good power. He has good hands, and he can do some things with the ball in his hands. I want to see what he can do when he gets a little room to operate, and I want to see if he can catch the ball down the field. I have a feeling that the team does as well.
    I don't consider myself "down" on McFarland but I am not hopeful to see much from him year 1. I think he will get some plays put in just for him to see how he is live, but for the most part this will be the Conner and Snell show at RB. I hope the guy takes off and shocks the world. I just don't see anything in his college game that says it will be immediate though. Let's GO!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't consider myself "down" on McFarland but I am not hopeful to see much from him year 1. I think he will get some plays put in just for him to see how he is live, but for the most part this will be the Conner and Snell show at RB. I hope the guy takes off and shocks the world. I just don't see anything in his college game that says it will be immediate though. Let's GO!

I'm not saying he's the man. Far from it. All I'm saying is that I'm not going to label him a bust like so many have. He has some juice. Let's see how his game translates to the NFL with NFL talent around him.

This is Conner's job if he is healthy. Of that there is no doubt. I think the team is looking for a change of pace back that gives them speed and a big-play guy. We'll find out more soon enough.