Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Maryland RB Anthony McFarland at 124

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Steelers select Maryland RB Anthony McFarland at 124

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    1 inch taller and 1 pound heavier. I'd be ecstatic, as I am sure most would, if he had an MJD type impact on this team.

MJD - 5'7" - 207 - 4.39 (40 Time)
    Boog - 5'8" - 208 - 4.40 (40 Time)

Pretty damn close...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

mojouw... you asked for the WR who would be the next Martavis Bryant: a guy who had R1/R2 talent, but due to character concerns, would be there in R4. Well, it was not a receiver, but I think that this is your guy.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    mojouw... you asked for the WR who would be the next Martavis Bryant: a guy who had R1/R2 talent, but due to character concerns, would be there in R4. Well, it was not a receiver, but I think that this is your guy.
    That's what I am starting to get the sense of. BUT...Tomlin and Canada sure should know a great deal about this dude. Plus some of the stuff I read sounds like a spoiled kid OR a kid who had no interest in playing college ball because he had the goal of the NFL and when he got hurt and had to split carries and saw that dream get endangered -- he freaked out.

I guess we will see. He sure looks sudden on film. They currently don't have anyone on offense that brings that to the table. Maybe D. Johnson at WR...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

1 inch taller and 1 pound heavier. I'd be ecstatic, as I am sure most would, if he had an MJD type impact on this team.

MJD - 5'7" - 207 - 4.39 (40 Time)
    Boog - 5'8" - 208 - 4.40 (40 Time)

Pretty damn close...
    Damn. Looks like he is an inch too tall.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Damn. Looks like he is an inch too tall.

It's over for him.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I would think Samuels is more likely to be let go. Beginning of last year I was a bigger Samuels fan but I thought Snell ran really hard last year. Unless they keep four backs (which they could since they only need two TE's with Claypool in the mix) I think Snell would be a more effective replacement for Connor if he gets hurt.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I've always wanted this team to find consistent "scatback" like the Patriots have used for over 2 decades(ex: Kevin Faulk, Danny Woodhead, and now James White). That was something they looked for with Dri Archer but clearly that didn't work out. So hopefully McFarland can be that player.

The RB room also needed a different skill set. Too many of the same type of players.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    You implied that you left out information, not because it was irrelevant, but because it was more important to hurt snowflakes. It’s not about the snowflakes’ reaction to me, it’s that it matters to you and you see upsetting people as a feature rather than a bug. If your motives are suspect, then I can’t know if you are presenting credible commentary.
    Context matters.
    Hater = Realist

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That's what trolls do.
    You're projecting again.
    Hater = Realist

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I can see that some things never change over the years

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Big surprise that nobody have compared Mcfarland to Dri Archer...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah, I would expect some pessimism and Dri Archer comparisons too. Its just how this board works.

McFarland is a tougher runner though and doesnt fall down when somebody is near him. #lebronning

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Thing is Archer and McFarland...there really is no comparison other than height maybe? Archer was faster, McFarland is 34 pounds heavier...lol. That’s like comparing Huey Richardson and I don’t know...Levon Kirkland?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thing is Archer and McFarland...there really is no comparison other than height maybe? Archer was faster, McFarland is 34 pounds heavier...lol. That’s like comparing Huey Richardson and I don’t know...Levon Kirkland?
    Or T.J Watt with Jarvis Jones after the 2017 draft!

Edit:I don't compare McFarland with Watt as player of course but this is just I remember to have see this stupid comparaison(maybe not on this board but on Twitter)by some!

Or just in this off season the comparaison of Ebron with Ladarius Green!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    You're projecting again.
    Yep. Right onto you.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    inb4 Suddenness and Glide
    I’ve heard suddenness... still waiting for the official glide quote.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

On Video, MacFarland shows he can run outside, BUT ( whenever you say but talking about a prospect the bad part comes ) He's a little weak between the tackles, and had injury issues. I think he's a good change of pace back and 3rd down back, who thanks to Conners lack of durability might find himself starting sooner than later. Could be a short term solution / Good role player, I expect no more than that.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

OK. So this dude is one of the handful of prospects every year that "anonymous scout" decides to drag for unknown reasons? Neat annual tradition.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    OK. So this dude is one of the handful of prospects every year that "anonymous scout" decides to drag for unknown reasons? Neat annual tradition.
    I am not at all concerned with 1 source saying he was acting out like a child. I'm more concerned if he can use that speed against good competition in the NFL and has the toughness to run off tackle and the vision to see the crease in the blocking. In the NFL, the hashmarks are narrower, the players are all excellent tacklers and fast. Hilight videos are nice, but here are his stats against some good teams last year.

Minnesota...……..10 carries for 38 yards.
    Penn St...………...9 carries for 24 yards
    Michigan...……….14 carries for 60 yards
    Ohio St...………….6 carries for 7 yards
    Nebraska ………...10 carries for 35 yards

Maybe its the Maryland o line, maybe its the ankle sprain, but I am just trusting Matt Canada and scouts know more about the upside.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I am not at all concerned with 1 source saying he was acting out like a child. I'm more concerned if he can use that speed against good competition in the NFL and has the toughness to run off tackle and the vision to see the crease in the blocking. In the NFL, the hashmarks are narrower, the players are all excellent tacklers and fast. Hilight videos are nice, but here are his stats against some good teams last year.

Maybe its the Maryland o line, maybe its the ankle sprain, but I am just trusting Matt Canada and scouts know more about the upside.
    He had also a monster game vs Ohio State in 2018 too so I think he can(maybe it was a fluke,I don't know) but we will see...And for a RB,this is never easy to play with a ankle sprain.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    He had also a monster game vs Ohio State in 2018 too so I think he can(maybe it was a fluke,I don't know) but we will see...And for a RB,this is never easy to play with a ankle sprain.
    True. His 2018 games against Michigan, Penn St., Michigan St were not great either. Ohio St he had 3 long runs though. I'm just pointing out that his highlights look good...but they are mostly against Indiana, Rutgers, Temple, Syracuse

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

So, Switzer's valet for now...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Not to jinx it, but Spinthenfall has an epic game against USC... back when they had those three LBs that went on R1.

Of course, Spinny was a R1 pick. It’s worth a flyer in R4.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

It is also about role and the style of player a kid was asked to be in college and what the pro team selecting him is envisioning. I have no idea for either.

I do know that the guy had almost 400 less yards from scrimmage on 7 less plays from 2018 to 2019. Something is going on there...injury, across the board downgrade in the offense, whatever Canada brought in Year 1 was gone with a different staff in Year 2?

I think, but do not know, that if McFarland is just coming in as a faster version of Jaylen Samuels role, then many of the question marks I have seen about his game go by the wayside in Year 1. BUT...I've also read that he doesn't look all that great in Pass Protection -- so none of this matters unless he can improve on that. Steelers have long demonstrated that until a RB can do well in pass pro; they don't play.

My expectations on him is that he will be a role player and a complement for our RB and he will do some big play on occasion.A full time starter,no but a good complement player,yes.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa