Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select WR Chase Claypool #49 overall

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Steelers select WR Chase Claypool #49 overall

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Do we try and trade Vance now?
    Why?

The steelers have only 2 NFL caliber TE in their roster.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

My thought is they should have tried to move back for more picks. Seeing Mims go 10 picks later makes me think he would be there.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Why?

The steelers have only 2 NFL caliber TE in their roster.
    They're paying 2 tight ends starter money. It would save them cap space. Imo, Claypool is just as much of a TE as he is a WR.

Try and trade Vance for a 4th or 5th and sign a cheaper backup TE.

They're paying 2 tight ends starter money. It would save them cap space. Imo, Mims is just as much of a TE as he is a WR.

who?

And Vance not worth a 5th round pick at this point

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Doesn’t seem like a lot of excitement over Claypool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

JayC posted this in the Draft Day thread. Everyone needs to watch this breakdown of Claypool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDs5MrSCv8

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

who?

And Vance not worth a 5th round pick at this point
    I don't know who, but I can assure there is a cheap veteran TE out there who can back up Ebron for cheaper. I could see a team giving up a 5th. I'd take the best offer though because it's likely Vance gets cut, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

They're paying 2 tight ends starter money. It would save them cap space. Imo, Mims is just as much of a TE as he is a WR.

Mims , yeah well we didnt draft him so even if we had of he isnt anything like a TE
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Mims , yeah well we didnt draft him so even if we had of he isnt anything like a TE
    Thanks for pointing that out. I obviously meant Claypool, not Mims. My mistake.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Fictner said that Claypool is "an outside receiver first"
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Not a huge reach...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Fictner said that Claypool is "an outside receiver first"
    I don't see him running many routes from the outside other than a fade, fly, and comebacks. I want to say that they start all their WRs on the outside but I could be wrong there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just going by size - they could get a bit ridiculous with some packages.

Claypool/Ebron/Juju/James Washington all spread out. Conner in the backfield. That makes Washington the smallest "receiver" on the field.

I don't know if it would work, but that is heck of a lot of size to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just going by size - they could get a bit ridiculous with some packages.

Claypool/Ebron/Juju/James Washington all spread out. Conner in the backfield. That makes Washington the smallest "receiver" on the field.

I don't know if it would work, but that is heck of a lot of size to contend with.
    Don't forget Dionte Johnson...I think he going to have a break out season!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Do we have to wait until the first game to start booing Claypool? May we start now? What’s the timeframe for this???

Asking for a fellow poster.

Oh wait... I already see him booing. Never mind.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Don't forget Dionte Johnson...I think he going to have a break out season!
    I agree. But this was my "jumbo" pass package. Everyone on the field except Washington is over 6 feet tall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Do we have to wait until the first game to start booing Claypool? May we start now? What’s the timeframe for this???

He did play for ND, so that is sorta fine with me. But -- yeah maybe let him get one practice in.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Position pick makes a ton of sense. Claypool's measureables are fantastic. His production is a bit lackluster so he fell down boards. I like the pick just fine. Just don't love it yet. YET.

I'm definitely not booing him. Just interested to see how they utilize him. He could definitely create some mismatches. Imo, he does TE things better than WR things. Like I said, it will be interesting to see where they line him up at and how they utilize him in the run and passing game. He's definitely a unique specimen.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He did play for ND, so that is sorta fine with me. But -- yeah maybe let him get one practice in.
    Reminds me of a quote by Jarrett Johnson when coming to play in San Diego with an Auburn player: “He’s really good; it’ll be fun to play alongside of him... and I appreciate him trying to wash the stench of garbage off of himself.”

I'm definitely not booing him. Just interested to see how they utilize him. He could definitely create some mismatches. Imo, he does TE things better than WR things. Like I said, it will be interesting to see where they line him up at and how they utilize him in the run and passing game. He's definitely a unique specimen.
    No, no, no... not you. I apologize. It’s someone else (who never posts anything positive).

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    JayC posted this in the Draft Day thread. Everyone needs to watch this breakdown of Claypool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDs5MrSCv8
    Anyone who is down on the Claypool pick..........go watch this as pczach said. I promise you will feel better and get excited about this young man.

The graphic showing his physical traits/athletic abilities for which there is only one other player drafted this century that compares to Claypool sort of blew my mind. I will not reveal that player's name here, but the words that came out of my mouth when I saw the comparison were "Holy Shit....That is unbelievable".

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Steelers wanted a Chase in this draft and knew they couldn't get Young. I'm cool with the pick and knew it was either RB or WR.

No, no, no... not you. I apologize. It’s someone else (who never posts anything positive).
    10-4 lol

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He's a hybrid player. I see him doing his work in the slot, because he doesn't have the quickness to create separation against DBs. He doesn't have any shake. He's great at running straight. Great at catching the ball at it's highest point. It will be interesting to see how they utilize him. I would have still rather seen a true outside WR, but maybe he will be a matchup nightmare, particularly in the redzone.
    A Wallace - Martavis Bryant hybrid, hopefully he incorporates the strengths of both players

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I like the pick

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I don't see him running many routes from the outside other than a fade, fly, and comebacks. I want to say that they start all their WRs on the outside but I could be wrong there.
    He can run slants, outs, digs, post, seam. Runs the entire route tree well. He broke a guys ankles at Senior bowl practice by running a 2 step slant and then pivoted and went to the corner for a TD. Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah were joking that that was a "killer crossover"

I like the Claypool pick. He weighed in at 229 lbs at the Senior Bowl and 6'4-3/8". Plaxico Burress was 6'5" 232lbs. So he is basically Plaxico Burress size frame, but with quicker feet.