Thread: The Steelers traded a potential Top 3 pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick, and it was worth it

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers traded a potential Top 3 pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick, and it was worth it

Wait, don’t skip to the comments to tell me the Steelers traded the 18th pick in the 2020 draft, I already know that.

But that was the pick with Minkah Fitzpatrick playing 14 games for the Pittsburgh Steelers, a span of games where the Steelers went 8-6. What is their record in those games if they don’t have Minkah? Fortunately we don’t know, and will never have to watch those games, those awful, soul sucking games that would have been.

To start looking back at those hypothetical games, I want to go back to an article I wrote right after the trade, “Are Mason Rudolph and Minkah Fitzpatrick really the answer for the Pittsburgh Steelers?”

In that article I talked about the difference between the Steelers defense with a healthy Sean Davis, and the defense without a healthy Sean Davis While short sample size caveats abounded in that article, the conclusion was that to salvage the season, the Steelers needed Mason Rudolph to be a competent, league average QB, and Minkah Fitzpatrick to help the defense play at the level they did with Sean Davis.

Mason Rudolph was not far off from an average NFL QB for a good number of his starts, and Minkah Fitzpatrick was the best safety in the NFL, and turned the Steelers defense into one of the best in the league almost overnight.

But how many wins did Minkah Fitzpatrick bring to the Steelers? I’ve heard people claim 3 wins, and do so as if it was a ridiculous number, but true because Minkah was that good.

But that number is too low.

With Sean Davis hurt or out in the first two weeks, the Steelers gave up 54 points on 15 drives, but only 7 points on 7 drives with Davis healthy. Again the short sample size cannot be stressed enough.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...t-dolphins-nfl

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Steelers traded a potential Top 3 pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick, and it was worth it

I figured they would have been 5-11. That would have been picks 5-9, most likely around 7.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The Steelers traded a potential Top 3 pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick, and it was worth it

Sorry but tanking is for teams like the Bengals and Browns, not the Steelers!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Sorry but tanking is for teams like the Bengals and Browns, not the Steelers!
    I agree!

Don't need to tank to be a great team!