Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RB Jonathan Taylor has talked with the Steelers during the pre-draft evaluation process

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

RB Jonathan Taylor has talked with the Steelers during the pre-draft evaluation process

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: RB Jonathan Taylor has talked with the Steelers during the pre-draft evaluation process

Innnnteresting

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: RB Jonathan Taylor has talked with the Steelers during the pre-draft evaluation process

If he's there at #49 be ready for him to be the pick.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    If he's there at #49 be ready for him to be the pick.
    If he is able to do long runs regularly,why not!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

My man. I like him enough to trade up for. IMO he's a perfect fit, and would bring much needed speed to the offense.

Those Wisconsin RB's scare the hell out of me....They just run them into the dirt. Taylor has eclipsed 900 touches over the last three years. That is concerning. Not saying he may not succeed at the next level, just saying that's a LOT of tread worn off the tires. Something to think about.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Those Wisconsin RB's scare the hell out of me....They just run them into the dirt. Taylor has eclipsed 900 touches over the last three years. That is concerning. Not saying he may not succeed at the next level, just saying that's a LOT of tread worn off the tires. Something to think about.
    This is the reason why I think he will be available at 49.The question is if the steelers will take him...

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I like the idea of having a true running threat . What threat is a running back sitting on the bench ?
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I thought all the talk was Pittman at #49? Oh well, back to a RB.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I honestly do not believe we need a RB ............

esp a high round guy ...........

change my mind
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

P-sizzle, good to see you posting here. I hear ya, but so far Melvin Gordon has been fine and he had 600 touches at Wisconsin in 3 seasons. Taylor hasn't been injury prone and has NFL type running game, where guys like Montee Ball and Ron Dayne were in different situations IMO, with the type of runners they were. I just don't think they had the skillset to be bell cow RB's.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I thought all the talk was Pittman at #49? Oh well, back to a RB.
    Pittman could be a very good WR in the NFL but I wouldn't like if he is our pick because it's not that type of WR that the steelers need right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I honestly do not believe we need a RB ............

esp a high round guy ...........

change my mind
    The steelers need speed on offense….If Taylor is a RB who is fast and who can make long run,I think it could be a good pick….I still prefer a deep threat at the WR position.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Pittman could be a very good WR in the NFL but I wouldn't like if he is our pick because it's not that type of WR that the steelers need right now.

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers need speed on offense….If Taylor is a RB who is fast and who can make long run,I think it could be a good pick….I still prefer a deep threat at the WR position.
    don't we already have a speed guy on the team that had a few touches last year and was successful ? why not give that kid some more reps ( Kerrith Whyte )

personally I see the running game just fine if we have some health , Ben being back will drop one of those 8 out of the box and that in itself is a huge factor ... it wasnt the guys toting the rock it was the amount of guys they faced in the box because we couldnt throw it and teams did not respect our ability to throw it
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    don't we already have a speed guy on the team that had a few touches last year and was successful ? why not give that kid some more reps ( Kerrith Whyte )

personally I see the running game just fine if we have some health , Ben being back will drop one of those 8 out of the box and that in itself is a huge factor ... it wasnt the guys toting the rock it was the amount of guys they faced in the box because we couldnt throw it and teams did not respect our ability to throw it
    Yeah ,I will be more happy if the steelers draft a deep threat in this offense.At the same time, the steelers need to take the best player available at 49 or the player who will have the bigger impact on this team in 2020 and the years after.

That's good in theory that they want to run the football better in the future, but Ben's caddy doesn't like to plan for much of a running game on Sundays. Maybe Tomlin has Ben's agreement to tell Fichtner implement more of a running game?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

He looks and runs like a more physical Willie Parker. Parker was no where near as strong but their speed looks the same.

I just can't see this guy being around at #49. If he is I would definitely take him. He clearly can run, but he made some nice catches in that video as well.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Unless Jon Taylor can catch the ball out of the backfield, I don't see how he can help the Steelers.

What people forget is that Ben is returning with Fichtner. And we all know they have a passing game fetish and deep bombs on 3rd and short. Tomlin can say he wants to run the football, but in practice its a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Unless Jon Taylor can catch the ball out of the backfield, I don't see how he can help the Steelers.

What people forget is that Ben is returning with Fichtner. And we all know they have a passing game fetish and deep bombs on 3rd and short. Tomlin can say he wants to run the football, but in practice its a different matter.
    Conner had like close to 20 run per game before the game against the Panthers in 2018 but so what...Ben was also more a dink and dunk QB in 2018.I prefer he throw more pass in the distance of 10-20 yards in the future….If this is true that this is the first time since a long time that Ben is without pain in his elbow,it will be a good thing for the steelers.For the deep throw on 3rd down and short,it was the case in 2015 but we don't see much more since this time.

Also,I think that Taylor can catch but I can be wrong.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    He looks and runs like a more physical Willie Parker. Parker was no where near as strong but their speed looks the same.

I just can't see this guy being around at #49. If he is I would definitely take him. He clearly can run, but he made some nice catches in that video as well.
    He would be a nice toy to have. Imagine throwing screen passes to him ? Yea hit that send button ASAP if he is there at 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

It would be great!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Taylor is a bit of a tough projection to the NFL. All UW RBs are. The offense they play in is basically stone age. They don't throw to the RBs because the QBs are often incapable of accomplishing even that basic feat. Seriously, it can not be overstated how poor the QB play is at UW. For instance, James White only had 73 receptions in 52 college games. So part of the whole mystery about Taylor in the passing game is just baked in to the Wisconsin offense.

To a lesser extent, so is the fumbling. Taylor has a high # of fumbles, but a number of them are him going into a pile and getting swarmed and the ball comes out while he tries to fight for an extra yard because he knows he is the entire offense. Some of his fumbles are a helmet on the ball type because the entire defense is just flying at Taylor and ignoring the rest of the offense -- because he is the entire offense. And some of the fumbles are just him not holding on to the dang ball.

Finally, some of Taylor's success is because he is the entire offense. Defenses will stack the line trying to take the run away with no one really playing second or third level defense. So Taylor slips one tackle or the line makes one extra block - and he is off to the races because there was no defensive plan aside from attack the line of scrimmage. While his athletic ability will not change at the NFL level, I am not sure he will have as many "explosive" plays because he won't see defensive alignments that just send everyone hell for leather at the line of scrimmage. Maybe that only makes sense to me...

Bottom line? Taylor has all the athletic traits and demeanor you would want in a draft prospect but his NFL projection is murky because he played in such a one dimensional attack. I think he falls somewhere closer to the best season by Melvin Gordon than the poorer seasons turned in by other UW RBs once they hit the NFL.

This could just as easily be interpreted as an endorsement for upgrading an aging offensive line. We tend to see Tomlin double-dip every year....could this be the year for two offensive linemen?
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This could just as easily be interpreted as an endorsement for upgrading an aging offensive line. We tend to see Tomlin double-dip every year....could this be the year for two offensive linemen?
    Two O-linemen drafted is what I want... and what I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Two O-linemen drafted is what I want... and what I expect.
    I would not be excited if it happens, but I admit it may be a need to take at least 1.

I would not be excited if it happens, but I admit it may be a need to take at least 1.
    Villanueva: 30+
    LG: ???
    Pouncey: 30+
    DeCastro: 30
    RT: ???

That’s two question marks/holes and three guys who are 30 (or older).