Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RB Leonard Fournette on the Trade Block.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

RB Leonard Fournette on the Trade Block.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: RB Leonard Fournette on the Trade Block.

They shouldn't expect much in return.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I remember that guy thoroughly burning us............we had no answer for him.

Of course…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It's $4M this year for whoever takes him plus a 5th year option in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

One of the most over-rated RBs in the game. He is powerful and determined runner, but so?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He's just a shorter version of James Conner...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    One of the most over-rated RBs in the game. He is powerful and determined runner, but so?

Yes, he's very determined to get to his next meal!

He just doesn't seem to want it. He puts on weight and is out of shape often. That's not a great sign for a RB.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Yes, he's very determined to get to his next meal!

He just doesn't seem to want it. He puts on weight and is out of shape often. That's not a great sign for a RB.
    True but now he’s at tail end of rookie contract he should show some urgency. Could only imagine what he balloons up to after signing for big money

I am not saying this is a one-to-one comparison. It's just a good idea to keep in mind that coming into the 1996 draft, Jerome Bettis was thought of in much the same way by the Rams and probably other organizations (otherwise, why could we pick him up with a fourth round pick?).

Here are their overall per game stats for the first two years:
    Rush Rece
    Rk Player From To Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
    1 Jerome Bettis* 1993 1995 16.9 65.8 0.3 1.6 13.7 0.0
    2 Leonard Fournette 2017 2019 18.5 73.1 0.5 3.7 28.0 0.1

Going per year, here's Jerome's first three years
    Game Game Rush Rush Rush Rush Rush Rush Rush Rush
    Year Age Tm G GS Rush Yds TD 1D Lng Y/A Y/G A/G RRTD Fmb AV
    1993*+ 21 RAM 16 12 294 1429 7 71 4.9 89.3 18.4 7 4 12
    1994* 22 RAM 16 16 319 1025 3 57 19 3.2 64.1 19.9 4 5 8
    1995 23 STL 15 13 183 637 3 24 41 3.5 42.5 12.2 3 4 4

And here's Fournette's numbers
    2017 22 JAX 13 13 268 1040 9 51 90 3.9 80.0 20.6 10 2 8
    2018 23 JAX 8 8 133 439 5 23 25 3.3 54.9 16.6 6 0 3
    2019 24 JAX 15 15 265 1152 3 55 81 4.3 76.8 17.7 3 1 10

the only glaring differences I see is Fournette's missed more games. Jerome had a better rushing average per rush his first year, but Fournette had a much better rushing average his last year (I went by average since touches were less). Two other differences stand out. Fournette had more TDs per game and less fumbles per game. Finally, looking at his AV, his stock seemed to bounce back a little in his third year. Bettis didn't until his fourth year.

Again, Fournette's not Bettis. But, I would think very hard about simply writing the kid off as we've already had a story like this in our past. So, if the Jags are willing to trade a fourth round pick or so? I'd take it in a heartbeat. He's worth more than a fourth rounder that may or may not make the team. Sure, there's the cap to worry about. But, I didn't include that in my discussion because everyone here seemed to be dismissing him because of his least season or two, not because of cap reasons. But, if we could do so, it'd be worth it as we basically have a year to see if we like him and then decide what to do with him.

tl;dr If we can get him in under the cap for a fourth rounder or less, I'm all for seeing if lightning can strike twice in Pittsburgh Bettis-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I am not saying this is a one-to-one comparison. It's just a good idea to keep in mind that coming into the 1996 draft, Jerome Bettis was thought of in much the same way by the Rams and probably other organizations (otherwise, why could we pick him up with a fourth round pick?).

Here are their overall per game stats for the first two years:
    Rush Rece
    Rk Player From To Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
    1 Jerome Bettis* 1993 1995 16.9 65.8 0.3 1.6 13.7 0.0
    2 Leonard Fournette 2017 2019 18.5 73.1 0.5 3.7 28.0 0.1

Going per year, here's Jerome's first three years
    1993*+ 21 RAM 16 12 294 1429 7 71 4.9 89.3 18.4 7 4 12
    1994* 22 RAM 16 16 319 1025 3 57 19 3.2 64.1 19.9 4 5 8
    1995 23 STL 15 13 183 637 3 24 41 3.5 42.5 12.2 3 4 4

And here's Fournette's numbers
    2017 22 JAX 13 13 268 1040 9 51 90 3.9 80.0 20.6 10 2 8
    2018 23 JAX 8 8 133 439 5 23 25 3.3 54.9 16.6 6 0 3
    2019 24 JAX 15 15 265 1152 3 55 81 4.3 76.8 17.7 3 1 10

the only glaring differences I see is Fournette's missed more games. Jerome had a better rushing average per rush his first year, but Fournette had a much better rushing average his last year (I went by average since touches were less). Two other differences stand out. Fournette had more TDs per game and less fumbles per game. Finally, looking at his AV, his stock seemed to bounce back a little in his third year. Bettis didn't until his fourth year.

Again, Fournette's not Bettis. But, I would think very hard about simply writing the kid off as we've already had a story like this in our past. So, if the Jags are willing to trade a fourth round pick or so? I'd take it in a heartbeat. He's worth more than a fourth rounder that may or may not make the team. Sure, there's the cap to worry about. But, I didn't include that in my discussion because everyone here seemed to be dismissing him because of his least season or two, not because of cap reasons. But, if we could do so, it'd be worth it as we basically have a year to see if we like him and then decide what to do with him.

tl;dr If we can get him in under the cap for a fourth rounder or less, I'm all for seeing if lightning can strike twice in Pittsburgh Bettis-style.
    The problem is his salary ... Fournette would be under contract for just another year, since his 5th year of option will surely be over 10 million because he was a fourth overall pick, so no way the option will be taken

Also, we can have an RB in a draft better or at the same level than him in a draft and with a rookie salary for 3-4 years vs Fournette for only 1 year at 4.16 millions.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Bettis trade was how many decades ago? Fournette just doesn't fit what offenses are doing now. Maybe that's been lack of coaching and surrounding talent in Jax. I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Bettis trade was how many decades ago? Fournette just doesn't fit what offenses are doing now. Maybe that's been lack of coaching and surrounding talent in Jax. I doubt it.
    True, but I don't think the Steelers would mind a throw-back running back, especially for short-yardage situations. What I didn't include here was his receiving stats. Last year, he had 76 catches on 100 targets for 522 yards and 23 first downs. Of those 100 targets, he dropped the ball 6 times. The Steelers also like runners who can run between the tackles.

Again, I'm not saying we should. I'm saying I sure wouldn't be upset if we didn't, and it'd give me a little more confidence coming into next season.

True, but I don't think the Steelers would mind a throw-back running back, especially for short-yardage situations. What I didn't include here was his receiving stats. Last year, he had 76 catches on 100 targets for 522 yards and 23 first downs. Of those 100 targets, he dropped the ball 6 times. The Steelers also like runners who can run between the tackles.

Again, I'm not saying we should. I'm saying I sure wouldn't be upset if we didn't, and it'd give me a little more confidence coming into next season.
    Fair. I've just never been a Fournette fan all that much.

I do think the larger conversation is interesting. Steelers fans have largely gone from believing you can find a Bell level RB anywhere to freaking out over which RB to draft in the top 50 picks.

Trading for Fournette might not be the worst idea, but I'd hope they don't.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

You can get a stud running back anywhere including UFAs. Guys that go in R1-2 have more potential so they should excel more. But the NFL is about more than potential.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He's an asshole. We just got rid of our locker room distraction. We do not need another one.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He's an asshole. We just got rid of our locker room distraction. We do not need another one.
    Yeah, I just focusing on him as a player. I do not know about him as a person. Then again, word around the league was that Bettis was a malcontent as well. Funny how there's at least a few parallels. (Of course, with social media today, it's much easier to see a person's true character rather than what a team says of a person).

He thought in his rookie year that the NFL was easier than the NCAA!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't get why so much hate ... I mean, he seems like an ok running back; not a superstar, but good enough. The off-the-field stuff I really have no idea.

There's probably no reason to get him on our team specifically, but someone ought to have a use for him. Not at a premium price, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yeah, I just focusing on him as a player. I do not know about him as a person. Then again, word around the league was that Bettis was a malcontent as well. Funny how there's at least a few parallels. (Of course, with social media today, it's much easier to see a person's true character rather than what a team says of a person).
    Bettis his new coach didn’t see “eye to eye”. Bettis admits that he was a little bit immature, but Bettis (IMO) was never an asshole.

As far as Fournette goes, I don’t recall some of the earlier things that he has done/said, but just last week he threw his QB under the bus.

Let’s see...

There’s been talk for a few years about Fournette. Other teams know this.

After last week, Fournette simply has to go. Other teams know this.

Fournette is in the final year of his contract and wants a new deal. Other teams know this.

SUMMATION:
    Other teams know that they can offer almost nothing for Fournette... and, the Jaguars will be lucky to get anything for him.

The steelers are fourth in this list

Bettis his new coach didn’t see “eye to eye”. Bettis admits that he was a little bit immature, but Bettis (IMO) was never an asshole.

As far as Fournette goes, I don’t recall some of the earlier things that he has done/said, but just last week he threw his QB under the bus.

Let’s see...

There’s been talk for a few years about Fournette. Other teams know this.

After last week, Fournette simply has to go. Other teams know this.

Fournette is in the final year of his contract and wants a new deal. Other teams know this.

SUMMATION:
    Other teams know that they can offer almost nothing for Fournette... and, the Jaguars will be lucky to get anything for him.

According to this report, Fournette was also often late in meetings and when he was in the meeting he often slept, so I don't want him!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What makes Fournette a “throwback”? He’s basically the same size as Conner, maybe smaller. Why can’t Conner be that “throwback”?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Tank for Trevor!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

He might be, but Jacksonville front office is the common denominator. You look at all the unhappy players fighting with management and asking for trades. Maybe new environment could help this guy. I’d give a 4th for him. Put some weight incentive in contract. Let’s face it Conner is probably going to miss 4 plus games. Snell running For 1-2 yards on first down not going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What makes Fournette a “throwback”? He’s basically the same size as Conner, maybe smaller. Why can’t Conner be that “throwback”?
    Someone else was arguing that Fournette doesn't really fit in modern NFL offenses (at least, that's how I understood it. If it's misrepresented, I apologize). Thus, the throwback comment. Would you argue that Conner doesn't fit modern NFL offenses?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    He might be, but Jacksonville front office is the common denominator. You look at all the unhappy players fighting with management and asking for trades. Maybe new environment could help this guy. I’d give a 4th for him. Put some weight incentive in contract. Let’s face it Conner is probably going to miss 4 plus games. Snell running For 1-2 yards on first down not going to cut it.
    This.

Of course, this is all based on having money under the cap and not leaving a hole in any other position. But, for a fourth round, I'd be willing to take that bet. How many fourth-round players stick around? If he does end up being a locker-room problem, then we dump him without cap problems the following year. If he comes in and plays well, then we can extend his rookie contract another year and see if it's a fluke.

Fournette just isn't that good at playing football in the NFL right now. We can debate the type of player or style of offense he is best suited for all day and never reach a consensus. But right now, Fournette is a highly inefficient back that gets stuffed for 3 yards or less a high % of his carries. How is that any different than what the Steelers have now?

So the idea would be to give up a draft pick for a player that costs a bunch of money and is arguably worse than some of the backs on the roster now?