Thread: EdmundsTo Inside Linebacker?

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

EdmundsTo Inside Linebacker?

I've read a few articles about this and I'm sure its been the topic here before. I'm thinking more in terms of sub package but then the sub packages are closer to co packages these days.

So then who plays safety?

How would the run D suffer?

What about Vince Williams? Obviously if you are playing the Titans you need Vince more. But against pass happy teams with good TE's?

Just a thinking about things to et through the 54 days of April. It is still April right?

Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: EdmundsTo Inside Linebacker?

Though many of the fan base thinks differently, the Steelers like Edmunds and have no problem with him. He'll continue to grow.

I can see the Steelers drafting a hybird safety that can player as a LB. Tanner Muse(pro day, dinner) and Khaleke Hudson(PA native, Michigan player) fit the profile.

don't forget about Ulysees Gilbert, the coaches like him and he impressed during pre season and on special teams.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Though many of the fan base thinks differently, the Steelers like Edmunds and have no problem with him. He'll continue to grow.

I can see the Steelers drafting a hybird safety that can player as a LB. Tanner Muse(pro day, dinner) and Khaleke Hudson(PA native, Michigan player) fit the profile.

don't forget about Ulysees Gilbert, the coaches like him and he impressed during pre season and on special teams.
    I actually agree with you. I just thought it was an interesting idea given how this we are at Ilb.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

At ILB the Steelers basically have VW, Bush, and Gilbert. I think they like the tandem of Fitz and Edmunds at Safety. This is why I believe they will draft a Safety early in this draft. Winfield, Muse, and Hudson are the first 3 to pop into mind because the Steelers have shown interest in all 3 and because all are versatile enough to move between ILB and Safety roles. With limited picks, especially early this is important. I think the pick is more likely to be tanner Muse due to the fact that he is big and fast enough to even use at OLB situationally. Jeremy Chinn is a sleeper pick at this position for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Its not that I don't like VW, or think he is not an important player on this team. He is the thumper. And there are situations where they will need VW to be to bring that thump. The problem with VW playing too many snaps is that, since he is not a coverage linebacker, that leaves Bush in coverage (where he will improve this year I'm sure) and not up near the line of scrimmage where he can excel imo.

I think the last line in this article might be the most accurate, however. While I think it is an idea worth pursuing, the lack of practice time might mean more generic offenses and defenses this year.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don't think he's big enough to play ILB is he? He's around 215 pounds no? I guess if he added about 15-20 pounds but could he carry that weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

And then he would lose coverage speed if he put on weight.. I think its situational. No doubt he would have trouble getting off blocks, but with some teams we play, who aren't that run oriented, it might not matter that much. Plus, Bush has the range to cover a lot of space in the middle. I just think Bush last year showed glimpses of what a playmaker he could be. With that in mind, while clearly part of his job, I don't want to see him covering TEs and backs all the time in coverage.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers have been looking for a hybrid player for a while now. No one seems to fit the bill... although, they have tried to draft quite a few players to fill that role. In fact, they were very high on Fred Warner (alas, they thought he’d last into R3).

Anyway, I will say this: at VaTech, Terrell moved from ILB to S out of need. In college, he excelled at S. With experience at both, Terrell could easily play ILB on a few snaps.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Edmunds was thought of a dime dd when he was drafted. IMO he's too small and misses too many tackles to play base Inside line backer. Maybe a nickel back for situational football.

Edmunds is He's not fluid enough to be a factor in coverage, and has a bad habit of not tuning his head around to see where the ball is. No--I do not think he can cover tight ends.

There is a kid from Clemson in the draft ( Tanner Muse ) who has hybrid like skills at Safety and ILB. He shocked me at combine. I'd take him in rounds 3-4. While nickel LB is not really a starting position, they get in a lot of snaps these days.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tanner...1-ed8e106f171c

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Edmunds was thought of a dime dd when he was drafted. IMO he's too small and misses too many tackles to play base Inside line backer. Maybe a nickel back for situational football.

Edmunds is He's not fluid enough to be a factor in coverage, and has a bad habit of not tuning his head around to see where the ball is. No--I do not think he can cover tight ends.

There is a kid from Clemson in the draft ( Tanner Muse ) who has hybrid like skills at Safety and ILB. He shocked me at combine. I'd take him in rounds 3-4. While nickel LB is not really a starting position, they get in a lot of snaps these days.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tanner...1-ed8e106f171c
    Totally agree with you on Muse....I also like Davion Taylor out of Colorado as a player who could fill that S/ILB hybrid position.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If you're doing that in a sub package, why not just use a nickel? That is basically what you are doing anyway.

It would be great if we had that kind of player who could be great at both roles seamlessly, but the fact is we don't at this point. Even Troy struggled in a hybrid ILB role, and we are short on draft picks this year with no first-rounder, so I am not holding my breath.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Anyway, I will say this: at VaTech, Terrell moved from ILB to S out of need. In college, he excelled at S. With experience at both, Terrell could easily play ILB on a few snaps.
    "Terrell played Corner, Rover and Free Safety for defensive coordinator Bud Foster" , according to Washington Post article on his draft day. I think Tremaine was the only true ILB of the Edmunds at Va Tech.

I think Edmunds is too light to play ILB and if you want a guy that can run and cover, yet still play the run vs 2TE sets, its UG III. If you want coverage on passing downs, then play dime.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    "Terrell played Corner, Rover and Free Safety for defensive coordinator Bud Foster" , according to Washington Post article on his draft day. I think Tremaine was the only true ILB of the Edmunds at Va Tech.

I think Edmunds is too light to play ILB and if you want a guy that can run and cover, yet still play the run vs 2TE sets, its UG III. If you want coverage on passing downs, then play dime.
    I remember in Draft Day them saying something about him being recruited an an ILB, but switching to S out of necessity... But, my hearing isn’t what it used to be. Neither is my memory. Neither is my hearing.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">