Thread: Some interesting comments by Terry Bradshaw today.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Some interesting comments by Terry Bradshaw today.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Some interesting comments by Terry Bradshaw today.

He must be in a good mood.

He has been giving more compliments to Ben lately then I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He must be in a good mood.

He has been giving more compliments to Ben lately then I can remember.
    I agree for Ben...I think the last time he was against Ben was in 2010 after his incident....

But his most interesting comment was that Brady was no better than Marino!

GREEN TREE, PA (KDKA) – The debate of the greatest National Football League quarterback of all-time draws many opinions, and often involves heated discussions with many athletes familiar to the area and the Steelers organization.
    In an interview Thursday afternoon on 93.7 The Fan’s Cook and Joe Show, Steelers Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw joined Ron Cook and Joe Starkey. He shared his thoughts on some of the greatest to play his position.

Best Steelers’ Quarterback:

“I would give it to Ben [Roethlisberger], his numbers far exceed mine,” Bradshaw told 93.7. “I may have more Super Bowls, but he’s a much better quarterback. He’s big, strong, accurate, puts up monstrous numbers and he’s won two Super Bowls.”

Yet, in the search for the NFL’s greatest quarterback of all time (G.O.A.T.), Bradshaw shared opposite feelings, particularly about former New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.
    “I don’t think he’s the greatest quarterback of all-time,” Bradshaw said.
    “He may be the best quarterback we’ve had in the last 30 years. Is he better than [Roger] Staubach? No! Is he better than Dan Fouts? No! Dan Marino? No! I’m talking talent wise when you put all of us together.”
    Bradshaw went on to explain the value of winning Super Bowls.

“I absolutely have no problem saying if you’ve got the most Super Bowls, and he’s done it, you can be in there, but I don’t put anybody as the greatest of all-time. I would never do that,” he said.

….

Bradshaw said the idea of Brady leaving a team after 20 years for personal reasons didn’t cross his mind.

“You gotta be kidding me, I never wanted to leave Pittsburgh,” Bradshaw said. “No matter what my relationship was with Chuck [Noll]. Which was a good working relationship, but I respected him and know if I learned from him and followed his direction, we would win. That’s all I cared about was winning.”

Bradshaw played all 14 seasons of his NFL career with the Steelers, scoring 212 touchdowns and passing for 27,989, before retiring and being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989.

read more

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...erback-debate/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I't nice of Terry to say that. I don't necessary know that he truly feels that way in his heart, but it's big of him to say that. He doesn't have to say that. I also hope he is sincere about his feeling towards Pittsburgh. That crap went on far too long with him....and it was totally uncalled for.

They are two different guys from two different eras that won a ton of football games.

I think Ben has been the better quarterback for a longer period of time, but Terry became such a great quarterback later in his career. If only his arm could have stayed healthy for another couple years.... It was so fun watching him as the guy that knew exactly where to go with the football at all times. It took him longer to figure it all out, but when he did he was terrific and he would have been a great quarterback in any era.

We have been so lucky to have both of them.

Let's hope we get to see the third great Steelers quarterback in a few years.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This is the incline part of the Bradshaw Rollercoaster. The next drop is a doozy!!!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Looking back at games from the 70's Bradshaw had the ability to scramble to keep a play alive is not to shabby. I think they both compare to each other very well.

I love what he says about Brady and glad he did...someone like him needed to say it.

Another comments by Bradshaw…

Bradshaw On Tomlin: ‘I Thought He Did A Hell Of A Job Last Year’

“But I have a couple of friends inside the Steelers who have told me what a wonderful guy he is and so on and so forth,” Bradshaw said. “That has softened me a great deal. And I said this on FOX – evidently you don’t watch Fox – and I said this: I said, ‘I think this year is the finest coaching job that Mike Tomlin has done. Considering what all he’s lost, I thought he did a hell of a coaching job this year.’ And that’s taking everything aside and looking at it from a profession as a head coach. I thought he was fantastic. So, that’s good. So, just goes to show you, if I don’t think it’s good, I’ll say it. If I think it’s good, I’ll say it. So, I thought he did a hell of a job last year.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/br...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

“But I have a couple of friends inside the Steelers who have told me what a wonderful guy he is and so on and so forth,” Bradshaw said. “That has softened me a great deal. And I said this on FOX – evidently you don’t watch Fox – and I said this: I said, ‘I think this year is the finest coaching job that Mike Tomlin has done. Considering what all he’s lost, I thought he did a hell of a coaching job this year.’ And that’s taking everything aside and looking at it from a profession as a head coach. I thought he was fantastic. So, that’s good. So, just goes to show you, if I don’t think it’s good, I’ll say it. If I think it’s good, I’ll say it. So, I thought he did a hell of a job last year.”

read more

Hide this post....there are some here that will blow a gasket when they read it......It’s been too long since we’ve had a “Fire Tomlin”.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Talent-wise, Brady isn’t the greatest of all time. He’s got the most Super Bowls and has had an incredible career but based on talent alone, there are a lot of QBs that are much more talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Talent-wise, Brady isn’t the greatest of all time. He’s got the most Super Bowls and has had an incredible career but based on talent alone, there are a lot of QBs that are much more talented.
    That’s why I try to separate talent from greatness. You have to give Brady his due when it comes to greatness. He’s at his best when it matters the most. He’s achieved what is the actual goal of football more than anyone else. And his put up great career numbers while doing it. So I have no problem calling him the greatest.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

read more

I hate Brady ...

That aside he isnt in my top 5 all time ....

criteria for me is longevity , winning , winning when it matters and what kind of a passer you where .. what unique qualities did you bring to the game ...

so undefeated in 4 Superbowls puts you in my top 5 it is what it is ..you did what it took to get there and you didnt let the moment screw you up ...

no specific order

Bradshaw - got there and finished the task , many claim well he had such a great defense and while he did he still HAD to put up 30+ on Dallas in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era and did

Montana - surgical precision as a passer and got to the big game and didnt let anyone down

Marino - got there just once and didnt win , but man what an arm and that release was incredible ....

Manning - has there ever been a smarter QB that could actually play ?

Brees - the story is still being written but this guy may have the best skills over all in history

strong consideration ... Elway / Favre but based on my own criteria hard to bump anyone off above to slip them in

your lists may vary and your criteria may differ but thats mine ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I hate Brady ...

That aside he isnt in my top 5 all time ....

criteria for me is longevity , winning , winning when it matters and what kind of a passer you where .. what unique qualities did you bring to the game ...

so undefeated in 4 Superbowls puts you in my top 5 it is what it is ..you did what it took to get there and you didnt let the moment screw you up ...

no specific order

Bradshaw - got there and finished the task , many claim well he had such a great defense and while he did he still HAD to put up 30+ on Dallas in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era and did

Montana - surgical precision as a passer and got to the big game and didnt let anyone down

Marino - got there just once and didnt win , but man what an arm and that release was incredible ....

Manning - has there ever been a smarter QB that could actually play ?

Brees - the story is still being written but this guy may have the best skills over all in history

strong consideration ... Elway / Favre but based on my own criteria hard to bump anyone off above to slip them in

your lists may vary and your criteria may differ but thats mine ...
    That set of criteria seems to demand the inclusion of Brady. I don't like the dude either, but it gets pretty hard to put winning and longevity as top criteria and then not have Brady near the list.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Brady is the GOAT. 6 rings, longevity, clutch abilty, countless amount of NFL records(regular/postseason and Super Bowl). The crown went to Brady after beating Atlanta after the legendary 28-3 comeback.

Just look at these career statistics. Incredible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Br...eer_statistics
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 04-13-2020 at 12:25 AM.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That set of criteria seems to demand the inclusion of Brady. I don't like the dude either, but it gets pretty hard to put winning and longevity as top criteria and then not have Brady near the list.

no special attribute that makes him stand out and to many losses in the biggest of stage ....

look for me he is and always was a system QB ... that was predicated on a few principles

1) ultra clean pocket

2) always having an outlet receiver who is quick and elusive in the short area

3) quick decisions usually a 2 read and go

those are not QB qualities those are system specifics ...

if the question was what systems are top 5 than we have a different set of answers and perhaps the only guy from my above list that stays is Montana

Brady played 13 AFC title game and 9 super bowl, it's normal at some point he loses at the biggest stage.... Also it's much better to lose in the super bowl than to lose in the wild card round, divisional round or miss the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

no special attribute that makes him stand out and to many losses in the biggest of stage ....

look for me he is and always was a system QB ... that was predicated on a few principles

1) ultra clean pocket

2) always having an outlet receiver who is quick and elusive in the short area

3) quick decisions usually a 2 read and go

those are not QB qualities those are system specifics ...

if the question was what systems are top 5 than we have a different set of answers and perhaps the only guy from my above list that stays is Montana
    I guess. But the dude holds a clutch of records and won 6 SBs. Owns almost every relevant post-season record. Blah Blah blah. Also, no way he plays as long as he has and has as much success as he has as "just a system" QB. If that was the case, Garappalo would've led the 49ers to the championship last year.

Brady has equivalent skills to Montana. Montana had clean pockets and Jerry Rice, Clark, and others as his receivers. I can't believe I'm making an argument in favor of Brady for anything besides "most annoying" but trying to leave Brady of best ever lists is getting harder and harder.

Now if you want to talk about the most physically gifted or athletically talented, then Brady doesn't even come within shouting distance.

I guess. But the dude holds a clutch of records and won 6 SBs. Owns almost every relevant post-season record. Blah Blah blah. Also, no way he plays as long as he has and has as much success as he has as "just a system" QB. If that was the case, Garappalo would've led the 49ers to the championship last year.

Brady has equivalent skills to Montana. Montana had clean pockets and Jerry Rice, Clark, and others as his receivers. I can't believe I'm making an argument in favor of Brady for anything besides "most annoying" but trying to leave Brady of best ever lists is getting harder and harder.

Now if you want to talk about the most physically gifted or athletically talented, then Brady doesn't even come within shouting distance.
    And we must not forget that the 49ers defense were great and very underrated in the years that the 49ers won the super bowl ... in 1984, 1988 and 1989 in their 9 playoff games in his years, they only give up 78 points and the opposing offenses have only scored 4 TDs in his 9 games, which is crazy even in the 1980s!

The Pats defense were good and underrated for the most part and they were at their best in the fourth quarter which is very important, but the 49ers defense were in another level!

It's been at least 20 years I watch football and the best QB I have seen was Peyton Manning but Brady is the most accomplished QB ... Drew Brees deserves a mention too but he also had bad luck in the playoffs that he could not control.

And we must not forget that the 49ers defense were great and very underrated in the years that the 49ers won the super bowl ... in 1984, 1988 and 1989 in their 9 playoff games in his years, they only give up 78 points and the opposing offenses have only scored 4 TDs in his 9 games, which is crazy even in the 1980s!

The Pats defense were good and underrated for the most part and they were at their best in the fourth quarter which is very important, but the 49ers defense were in another level!

It's been at least 20 years I watch football and the best QB I have seen was Peyton Manning but Brady is the most accomplished QB ... Drew Brees deserves a mention too but he also had bad luck in the playoffs that he could not control.
    Agreed. Those are all good points. I think this thread is interesting because it really does depend on what "best" means. Physically talented? Wins? Or Whatever you pick. Peyton Manning's style of playing QB annoyed the heck out of me -- but it was really effective. Brady is a tiresome douche, but he wins football games. Someone out of the grouping of Favre/Marino/Elway is likely the most physically talented I saw play. I know it is early, but Mahomes gifts are hard to deny as well.

Agreed. Those are all good points. I think this thread is interesting because it really does depend on what "best" means. Physically talented? Wins? Or Whatever you pick. Peyton Manning's style of playing QB annoyed the heck out of me -- but it was really effective. Brady is a tiresome douche, but he wins football games. Someone out of the grouping of Favre/Marino/Elway is likely the most physically talented I saw play. I know it is early, but Mahomes gifts are hard to deny as well.
    Mahomes has a chance of being the best or one of the best in both...Winning and physically talented...It's very hard to do that but if he has one who has a shot, it's him!

guess we will have to agree to disagree ...

I've never been one to discredit another for having weapons such as Rice , Taylor, Clark etc because part of why they where who they where was the guy getting them the football ..we seen that here in reverse .. Ben to Mike Wallace and everyone else to Mike Wallace wasn't close to the same results so I leave that sort of thing alone because we just can not qualify it properly its just all to subjective ..

starting 20 years will often grant one big numbers because you simply do not last that long if you are not productive ...but determining what made someone productive is where it is at .... I think I did that above

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

OJ Simpson is/was one the greatest RBs ever... but, his name is associated with murder.

AB is/was one the greatest WRs ever... but, his name is associated with insanity.

Tom Brady is/was one the greatest QBs ever... but, his name is associated with cheating.

SUMMATION:
    Character matters.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I've never been one to discredit another for having weapons such as Rice , Taylor, Clark etc because part of why they where who they where was the guy getting them the football ..we seen that here in reverse .. Ben to Mike Wallace and everyone else to Mike Wallace wasn't close to the same results so I leave that sort of thing alone because we just can not qualify it properly its just all to subjective ..

starting 20 years will often grant one big numbers because you simply do not last that long if you are not productive ...but determining what made someone productive is where it is at .... I think I did that above
    I tend to agree with Dwins here. A lot of people say that Ben has made guys such as AB, Wallace, Sanders, Bell, Bryant, etc. But Montana can’t make guys like Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig, etc? I don’t discredit anyone for the position the were put in.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I tend to agree with Dwins here. A lot of people say that Ben has made guys such as AB, Wallace, Sanders, Bell, Bryant, etc. But Montana can’t make guys like Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig, etc? I don’t discredit anyone for the position the were put in.
    Uggggghhhhhhhhh. I can not believe you guys are making me do this! But I gotta be consistent. Bad logic is bad logic.

If Montana doesn't get dinged for having great weapons, why is Brady playing with really good/effective outlet receivers somehow a mark against him? Or a clean pocket for that matter? Isn't that just the situation he was put in? The original criteria were literally longevity and winning. But not the longevity/production and winning that Brady has done? Somehow that is walled off and separated from others? If Brady's #'s are just because he played a long time in a system -- then so are Ben's, Brees, Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Manning, etc. All those guys put up their numbers in the same system for years.

Can you rank Brady outside the top 5, 3 ,or whatever? Absolutely! Go for it! But you need to be a bit cleverer about it and explain it better because the current criteria say that Brady makes that list and the reasons for excluding him are "nuuuhhhhhaaaaahhhhh. Brady suxs!". I mean he does and not a favorite of mine -- I dislike Peyton Manning as well.