Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For the future QB of the steelers when Ben is going to retire.....

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: For the future QB of the steelers when Ben is going to retire.....

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Not sure how things got so testy in here.

I’m sure we’re all passionate fans in our own way. And all of your opinions contribute greatly to this board.

I’m personally leaning to the optimistic side when it comes to this season. If Ben doesn’t suddenly drop off a Cliff due to age, I think we have an excellent chance to compete for another ring.

This defense isn’t just good, it’s elite. Maybe better than the 08 defense. The reason I say that is because we can get to the QB and generate lots of turnovers without blitzing. That helps neutralize cerebral QBs and even mobile QBs.

I’m also excited by the core of receivers. We might not have tremendous depth at every position but if our starters stay healthy we can compete with any team out there.

This defense will be elite if they are healthy but it would be very surprising that they have the same high total of turnovers ... They had 2 or more turnovers in 14 of the 16 games, whichwas historic in the game of today.... But if our offense is much better, the defense could be first in points allowed.

This pass defense will be amazing, but I hope the fact the steelers have no real NT, I hope our run defense will still be fine even with bigger lineup for the opposing offense. This is my only concern with this defense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    As a backup, I agree but my thread was when Ben was going to retire, we are going to need to have a true QB franchise but at least the good news is that if we look at history in the last 20 years, we don't have to be in the top 5 in a draft to take one.
    It must be me not understanding the conversation then. My angle here is going with Ben says he's playing another 2 years minimum. IF the Steelers draft a QB it will be initially as a backup. IF the Steelers bring in a veteran it will initially be as a backup. I only mean I would rather have a QB like Dalton/Fitzmagic/Foles on the roster now to upgrade the current backup, while at the same time assuring a better starter should Ben suddenly retire. Even if the Steelers draft a QB in the 1st round for the next 5 years I would like to have the vet on roster to be the starter until the draftee gets up to speed. IF that only takes 1 TC then awesome! But right now there is not a viable starter other than Ben on this roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It must be me not understanding the conversation then. My angle here is going with Ben says he's playing another 2 years minimum. IF the Steelers draft a QB it will be initially as a backup. IF the Steelers bring in a veteran it will initially be as a backup. I only mean I would rather have a QB like Dalton/Fitzmagic/Foles on the roster now to upgrade the current backup, while at the same time assuring a better starter should Ben suddenly retire. Even if the Steelers draft a QB in the 1st round for the next 5 years I would like to have the vet on roster to be the starter until the draftee gets up to speed. IF that only takes 1 TC then awesome! But right now there is not a viable starter other than Ben on this roster.
    OK I understand!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I’ll be fine with a good QB surrounded by great personnel, we almost won a Super Bowl in 95 that way until the QB out of Maryland who shall not be named descended into the twilight zone in the middle of the game. It would be great if we can get another great franchise QB on the heels of Ben’s retirement but don’t sell the farm for him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Right now there's a glut of OK quarterbacks in the league. That hasn't always been the case. I mean, Cam Newton can't find a job. Several starters who've had moderate success are signing as backups. It's a buyers market right now on QBs, so let's hope it stays that way for 2-3 years.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I’ll be fine with a good QB surrounded by great personnel, we almost won a Super Bowl in 95 that way until the QB out of Maryland who shall not be named descended into the twilight zone in the middle of the game. It would be great if we can get another great franchise QB on the heels of Ben’s retirement but don’t sell the farm for him.
    That’s right!!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Yeah but the nameless one set AFCC game records and was a prized free agent in 1996!

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The getting hot thing is a great point. It is kinda like when a pretty good goalie gets locked in and stands on his head for an entire cup run in the NHL. Dude may not be viewed as a "great" goalie but he played exactly like one for a number of playoff games in order for his team to win the cup.

Same idea with QBs.
    So Eli got hot twice?

Eli Manning deserves the HoF for one simple reason: He led the team that beat the Patriots in then SB x2.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    So Eli got hot twice?

Eli Manning deserves the HoF for one simple reason: He led the team that beat the Patriots in then SB x2.
    Pretty much. His career is two big playoff runs and then the definition of "average". So by the logic being put forth here, Flacco needed one more AFCG victory against the Patriots and he would be in the HOF?

Like I said in another thread, I just can't seem to get worked up enough to give a crap about HOF stuff. Put Eli in. Don't put him in. I could not care less. But lets all be honest about who Eli was over the course of his career. There were a ton of bad seasons sprinkled in with two really good ones. Eli Manning was a competent NFL QB who was occasional capable of being exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Pretty much. His career is two big playoff runs and then the definition of "average". So by the logic being put forth here, Flacco needed one more AFCG victory against the Patriots and he would be in the HOF?

Like I said in another thread, I just can't seem to get worked up enough to give a crap about HOF stuff. Put Eli in. Don't put him in. I could not care less. But lets all be honest about who Eli was over the course of his career. There were a ton of bad seasons sprinkled in with two really good ones. Eli Manning was a competent NFL QB who was occasional capable of being exceptional.
    Eli was great to start to finish in the entire 2011 season, but in 2007 the best thing Eli did in the playoffs was to avoid the turnovers, which hadn't been done in the regular season.

Eli has a little too much credit for his win against the pats in 2007 ... It was a true team effort against the best single season offense ever at this time and they won 17-14 .... Ben would have had only 2 loss in 13 games against Brady if the steelers only needed 17 points each time.

The Giants won the second super bowl 21-17, so not a shootout again!