Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the future QB of the steelers when Ben is going to retire.....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: For the future QB of the steelers when Ben is going to retire.....

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That is never the plan. The plan is for Ben to play QB. But if he goes down again we need at least a mediocre QB at backup. Right now we don't even have Trent Dilfer let alone Nick Foles. If we had Foles we could plan for life after Ben right now if it came to that. How fun does entering 2021/2022(just random years) with Rudolph and rookie draft pick sound? I would rather have Dalton/Winston/Newton/Mariota/etc. Not saying go get a mediocre QB to be the franchise QB heading forward. I would over pay for one of those guys than have what happened last season happen again. Today.
    Ohhhhh!!!! My mistake!! I got all confused. better bakups would be awesome.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Its just a huge gamble, for every Mahomes there is a boatload of Winstons, Mariotas, Josh Rosens and Baker Mayfields.
    FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Its just a huge gamble, for every Mahomes there is a Winston, Mariota, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield. Or even Worse Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell. I would rather see a gamble taking a Jalen Hurts type of guy in round 3 than give away first rounder for a possible franchise QB. But then again thats why Im typing on keyboard instead of front office. Its much easier cutting a round 3 Mason Rudolph than a round 1 Rudolph.
    After looking at this list, I'd rather go with a first round.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That is never the plan. The plan is for Ben to play QB. But if he goes down again we need at least a mediocre QB at backup. Right now we don't even have Trent Dilfer let alone Nick Foles. If we had Foles we could plan for life after Ben right now if it came to that. How fun does entering 2021/2022(just random years) with Rudolph and rookie draft pick sound? I would rather have Dalton/Winston/Newton/Mariota/etc. Not saying go get a mediocre QB to be the franchise QB heading forward. I would over pay for one of those guys than have what happened last season happen again. Today.
    As a backup, I agree but my thread was when Ben was going to retire, we are going to need to have a true QB franchise but at least the good news is that if we look at history in the last 20 years, we don't have to be in the top 5 in a draft to take one.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ohhhhh!!!! My mistake!! I got all confused. better bakups would be awesome.
    Sorry man, I guess I am being too vague without meaning too. Yes the guy would start out as Ben's backup. But if Ben goes down again or retires unexpectedly, a Foles/Dalton level backup would be better over the next few drafts until we find the next franchise QB than the jokers on the roster now. We don't even have a Mark Malone right now. So...draft away but until we strike gold again get a backup/ready to play/would love to be the starter QB on the roster besides just Ben. It could take a decade to draft another great QB.

Among the realistic option, what would be the best option for the steelers for the 2021 draft if the steelers would decide to draft a QB in the first round?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/ga...021-nfl-draft/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Among the realistic option, what would be the best option for the steelers for the 2021 draft if the steelers would decide to draft a QB in the first round?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/ga...021-nfl-draft/
    HAHAHAHA! They call that an article! It is just a bunch of google image search results pasted, badly, into an HTML page. Anyway, the idea/question is a fun one. I am going to assume that the Steelers are picking between 20-32 so....I guess the hope for me is that Trey Lance gets downgraded for being from a small school, concerns that he runs too much or whatever, and the Steelers are forced to pull the trigger on him as a BPA/Value pick.

I don't think that will happen...because I think whenever this kid declares, he will shoot up boards.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'm hoping Jamie Newman doesnt have a great season at Georgia, or he will be drafted before the Steelers pick. I'm thinking he will be the best option in the 15-25 range next year.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

I'm hoping the Steelers are bold and realize 10 picks won't make this roster. Move up and get your man.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="hwalker84 will become famous soon enough">

Going to imagine there won't be anyone worthy of us taking at 32 next year...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hwalker84 View Post

I believe a trade up will be necessary but this is possible...But if they win the SB in 2020 or close to that,the steelers could still wait for a QB since that would mean that Ben is still very good.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Sadly I think they will be picking around 18-22.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    HAHAHAHA! They call that an article! It is just a bunch of google image search results pasted, badly, into an HTML page. Anyway, the idea/question is a fun one. I am going to assume that the Steelers are picking between 20-32 so....I guess the hope for me is that Trey Lance gets downgraded for being from a small school, concerns that he runs too much or whatever, and the Steelers are forced to pull the trigger on him as a BPA/Value pick.

I don't think that will happen...because I think whenever this kid declares, he will shoot up boards.
    If you want analyzes on its QB,this is on this link!

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...lass-rankings/

Thanks!

If you trust the opinions of a guy that was playing highschool football in 2017, then Matt Valdovinos is the source for information.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sadly I think they will be picking around 18-22.
    You must be impressed with Colberts ability to work a trade up when we are picking at 32. I think they stay at 32 but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    You must be impressed with Colberts ability to work a trade up when we are picking at 32. I think they stay at 32 but what do I know?
    I can appreciate your optimism, or blind faith. I just realize that its been over a decade since the Steelers drafted at #32 and that team was more talented, had better leadership and the OC, the DC and the Special teams coach were all superior.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I can appreciate your optimism, or blind faith. I just realize that its been over a decade since the Steelers drafted at #32 and that team was more talented, had better leadership and the OC, the DC and the Special teams coach were all superior.
    It was just a joke, but it must really suck to be a fan of a team and simply have no faith in what that team is actually capable of. Last year this team was 500 with a horrible QB situation. This year we get Ben back and with that same defense I can see the sky is the limit. I know there are many things that can go wrong along the way but I like that we are all in on Ben and what he can do. I am not afraid of his age or if he can come back from surgery and suffer any performance issues. Yes it could happen, and if it does so be it. We will be getting a great draft pick and looking for his successor. I have faith that this organization knows what it is doing in gambling on their franchise QB to take them to number 7. I look forward to every game we play with the very real belief that we should win them all with our franchise QB under center. I may be disappointed a few times and the team may not meet my lofty goals, but I really could not find any joy if I did not believe in my teams chances.
    I am not saying being pessimistic is wrong I just don't understand how it can bring anyone any joy.

It was just a joke, but it must really suck to be a fan of a team and simply have no faith in what that team is actually capable of. Last year this team was 500 with a horrible QB situation. This year we get Ben back and with that same defense I can see the sky is the limit. I know there are many things that can go wrong along the way but I like that we are all in on Ben and what he can do. I am not afraid of his age or if he can come back from surgery and suffer any performance issues. Yes it could happen, and if it does so be it. We will be getting a great draft pick and looking for his successor. I have faith that this organization knows what it is doing in gambling on their franchise QB to take them to number 7. I look forward to every game we play with the very real belief that we should win them all with our franchise QB under center. I may be disappointed a few times and the team may not meet my lofty goals, but I really could not find any joy if I did not believe in my teams chances.
    I am not saying being pessimistic is wrong I just don't understand how it can bring anyone any joy.
    I agree .... It would be boring if I had zero hope before the season

- - - Updated - - -

If you trust the opinions of a guy that was playing highschool football in 2017, then Matt Valdovinos is the source for information.
    Please, it was just to get an idea of his QB .... I admit I didn't look at the name who wrote this article but I don't think this article was bad.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

19-0 that is all

I'm not pessimistic, but rather realistic. I don't just watch football and live or die, find joy or pain based upon how the Steelers finish on the scoreboard. My joy in life isn't dependent on my sports teams. I love every aspect of the game from the O linemen making a well timed block on a pull, or a CB staying in his backpedal long enough to be in position to drive on a 7 yard slant or a WR stemming the corner to create separation on a great route that is run.

I'm sure it would be a different experience for me to just wave my towel and hope the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl every year and boast or bitch about how my fantasy team is doing. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I love every weekend of football and respect the effort and execution when its there, or recognize when the other team did it better than my team. I'm a strategic thinker and possibly watch the game different than people that haven't played and coached it.

Please, it was just to get an idea of his QB .... I admit I didn't look at the name who wrote this article but I don't think this article was bad.
    So if your car was making a strange noise, would you look to get info on it from somebody that reads a lot of car magazines, but doesn't actually work on cars or is a mechanic?

I believe that if you are looking for information, you should consider the source of the information. Easy to get an unqualified opinion from anybody with a blog, but if they have a nice looking website then people think its actually credible. All style and no substance isn't the best way to acquire information, IMO.

So if your car was making a strange noise, would you look to get info on it from somebody that reads a lot of car magazines, but doesn't actually work on cars or is a mechanic?

I believe that if you are looking for information, you should consider the source of the information. Easy to get an unqualified opinion from anybody with a blog, but if they have a nice looking website then people think its actually credible. All style and no substance isn't the best way to acquire information, IMO.
    I know it was a minimum of information, but it can be useful for those who do not know much about his QB ... As I said, I do not think this article was bad.

Even Mojouw seemed to appreciate having some information on his QB in post 45.

I'm not pessimistic, but rather realistic. I don't just watch football and live or die, find joy or pain based upon how the Steelers finish on the scoreboard. My joy in life isn't dependent on my sports teams. I love every aspect of the game from the O linemen making a well timed block on a pull, or a CB staying in his backpedal long enough to be in position to drive on a 7 yard slant or a WR stemming the corner to create separation on a great route that is run.

I'm sure it would be a different experience for me to just wave my towel and hope the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl every year and boast or bitch about how my fantasy team is doing. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I love every weekend of football and respect the effort and execution when its there, or recognize when the other team did it better than my team. I'm a strategic thinker and possibly watch the game different than people that haven't played and coached it.
    Hmmm sounds like you are either very robotic or not much of a fan if you don't care about the results of the game. While the impact of the results don't have me kicking the dog, or throwing things at the tv, I do cheer and get excited when the Steelers make ( execute) a great play. The day after a win is a little more exhilarating and after loses a little less. Don't get me wrong I don't take it to serious and can joke about either, but those are my feelings and I am not ashamed for feeling that way. I also get excited on game day and wave my Terrible Towel again not ashamed in the slightest about doing it either. I enjoy dishing and taking crap with other football fans I find that part of the fun of being a fan. It is a shame if people take it too serious and can't joke with fans of other teams. So while I get a rush from a win and a low from a loss I can also put it in perspective and am not ashamed.

Foolish Terrible Towel waving fan.

NOTE: the proceeds for the Terrible Towel go to a montissary school so another reason to feel good about waving them if you have them.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Credentials are sometimes very important. Having an opinion about the game of football, about a player, or maybe even play calling is not credential driven. The way fans hope for the season, cheer for a team, or trash talk before, during, and after the game are not credential driven.
    Who gets to work on my car is credential driven.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    They fixed the contract problem several years ago when top picks got all the $ , but JaMarcus put a stop to that by changing perception. He was more responsible for mitigating risk with billions of $ than State Farm and Allstate combined. He literally was a one man wrecking ball to future rookie contracts with the rule change.
    No doubt about that. He was wrecking ball to his own team also...lol.

Hmmm sounds like you are either very robotic or not much of a fan if you don't care about the results of the game. While the impact of the results don't have me kicking the dog, or throwing things at the tv, I do cheer and get excited when the Steelers make ( execute) a great play. The day after a win is a little more exhilarating and after loses a little less. Don't get me wrong I don't take it to serious and can joke about either, but those are my feelings and I am not ashamed for feeling that way. I also get excited on game day and wave my Terrible Towel again not ashamed in the slightest about doing it either. I enjoy dishing and taking crap with other football fans I find that part of the fun of being a fan. It is a shame if people take it too serious and can't joke with fans of other teams. So while I get a rush from a win and a low from a loss I can also put it in perspective and am not ashamed.

Foolish Terrible Towel waving fan.

NOTE: the proceeds for the Terrible Towel go to a montissary school so another reason to feel good about waving them if you have them.
    I honestly don't care what anybody thinks of me and how I choose to watch football games. Although you must get some sort of pleasure in your life by saying that another Steeler fan is "not much of a fan", which likely stems from developing attitudes of berating and condescension while growing up and either seeing it done, or having it done to you. Whatever floats your boat.

I own 5 Terrible towels, so glad to know its going to a school so that kids can learn to spell Montessori, better than other previous generations. I put one on my child in the nursery when he was born almost 20 years ago. I have 40 years of Steeler fan memories I can refer to, but am not going to bother because I'm probably "not much of a fan".

Maybe its years of watching game film that impacts how I watch football games with more detail and in a more technical way than most fans. I still get excited when I see a great tackle by Vince Williams, but I also am more impressed by the job that the OLB did to set the edge so that Williams could make the tackle. The average fan just cheers and says "great tackle Vinny", where as I see that somebody like Dupree actually made the play. Checkers and Chess.

I honestly don't care what anybody thinks of me and how I choose to watch football games. Although you must get some sort of pleasure in your life by saying that another Steeler fan is "not much of a fan", which likely stems from developing attitudes of berating and condescension while growing up and either seeing it done, or having it done to you. Whatever floats your boat.

I own 5 Terrible towels, so glad to know its going to a school so that kids can learn to spell Montessori, better than other previous generations. I put one on my child in the nursery when he was born almost 20 years ago. I have 40 years of Steeler fan memories I can refer to, but am not going to bother because I'm probably "not much of a fan".

Maybe its years of watching game film that impacts how I watch football games with more detail and in a more technical way than most fans. I still get excited when I see a great tackle by Vince Williams, but I also am more impressed by the job that the OLB did to set the edge so that Williams could make the tackle. The average fan just cheers and says "great tackle Vinny", where as I see that somebody like Dupree actually made the play. Checkers and Chess.
    I stand by my comments when someone tells me they don't care about the final score they aren't much of a fan. Even when the team sucks I care about the final score and I don't know a fan who doesnt. I get it coach nobody watches the game like you we are all just Terrible Towel waving fools. Maybe it is you who feels so insecure after all only a coach or former player like you can truly appreciate the way the game is played. Give me a freaking break.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Not sure how things got so testy in here.

I’m sure we’re all passionate fans in our own way. And all of your opinions contribute greatly to this board.

I’m personally leaning to the optimistic side when it comes to this season. If Ben doesn’t suddenly drop off a Cliff due to age, I think we have an excellent chance to compete for another ring.

This defense isn’t just good, it’s elite. Maybe better than the 08 defense. The reason I say that is because we can get to the QB and generate lots of turnovers without blitzing. That helps neutralize cerebral QBs and even mobile QBs.

I’m also excited by the core of receivers. We might not have tremendous depth at every position but if our starters stay healthy we can compete with any team out there.