Thread: Dejan Kovacevic:Top 25 Pittsburgh athletes of all time!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Dejan Kovacevic:Top 25 Pittsburgh athletes of all time!

Kovacevic: No athletes ever represented Pittsburgh better than these 25

Man, these lists are everywhere now. Top five this, Mount Rushmore that, quarantine-with-so-and-so this, have-dinner-with-so-and-so that.
    They can be frustrating, but they're mostly fun, particularly at a time like this.

So what's below, in the interest of taking those lists to another level, is my own perspective on the 25 greatest athletes to represent Pittsburgh in any sport. The key qualifier: All that counts is their time representing the city, either with a Pittsburgh team or our general region as as an individual. And longevity in that regard absolutely was weighed.
    I wrote one originally more than three years ago, and here goes another:

read more

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...t-athletes-dk/

Your thoughts on this list?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Dejan Kovacevic:Top 25 Pittsburgh athletes of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Man, these lists are everywhere now. Top five this, Mount Rushmore that, quarantine-with-so-and-so this, have-dinner-with-so-and-so that.
    They can be frustrating, but they're mostly fun, particularly at a time like this.

So what's below, in the interest of taking those lists to another level, is my own perspective on the 25 greatest athletes to represent Pittsburgh in any sport. The key qualifier: All that counts is their time representing the city, either with a Pittsburgh team or our general region as as an individual. And longevity in that regard absolutely was weighed.

read more

Assume the standard is intended to be more than how that player ranked in terms of on the field/rink performance

In terms of how the player ranks for performance agreed it is Mario or Wagner

In terms of impact/representing everywhere Roberto Clemente is #1 and it is not even close, although Clemente's impact/representation/legacy was as much or more about his pride in his heritage of being from Puerto Rico than that he happened to play for a Pittsburgh team

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

read more

Franco should be rated higher.
    In fact, IMO he should have been the highest rated Steeler. Bradshaw and Ben being rated higher is ridiculous.
    His former teammates call him Mr. Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Franco should be rated higher.
    In fact, IMO he should have been the highest rated Steeler. Bradshaw and Ben being rated higher is ridiculous.
    His former teammates call him Mr. Pittsburgh.
    Totally agree. I would have him in the top ten at least. Even now 35+ years after his playing days, he still comes to Steelers and Pittsburgh events. Says as much about the man as the athlete.