Thread: Can the Steelers find a starting guard or center for the future in this draft?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Can the Steelers find a starting guard or center for the future in this draft?

I hope so. I rather the 2d round pick go to DL or RB.

But for rounds 3, 4, and 4, here two guys I like who the Steelers could target.

Center - Tyler Biadasz. I like him a lot in round three
    Guard - Jonah Jackson round 4

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Can the Steelers find a starting guard or center for the future in this draft?

Possible in round 3 or 4, but for round 2, I may be wrong, but it would be a mistake to take a DL, since they would not have much snap compare to other position

I hope to see the steelers take a deep threat like WR (or a fast WR which is explosive after the cacth) or a homerun hitter as RB in round 2.

For the o-line, no doubt the steelers need more depth and hope that they will be able to have a future starter in this draft in round 3-4 or later.

Re: Can the Steelers find a starting guard or center for the future in this draft?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Possible in round 3 or 4, but for round 2, I may be wrong, but it would be a mistake to take a DL, since they would not have much snap compare to other position

I hope to see the steelers take a deep threat like WR (or a fast WR which is explosive after the cacth) or a homerun hitter as RB in round 2.

For the o-line, no doubt the steelers need more depth and hope that they will be able to have a future starter in this draft in round 3-4 or later.
    RB Jonathan Taylor, from Wisconsin could be the pick. He's big and fast. A powerhouse, but he's also fumble prone and not really an ideal 3rd down back. I don't care much about not being a 3rd down back, but those fumbles...

Personally I really don't like spending big bucks in free agency on Centers or Guards, as other positions are more important in terms of winning games. For example, if Ben was out or Brown when he had his head on right, the Offense took a big hit. But when Pouncey was out, the Steelers picked up a unsigned Center and were for the most part fine. This is why I like the draft for Guard #2 or Center in the mid rounds as long as the payer can hold his own.

Our defense rocks right now. While some might not like the idea of Casey Hampton 2.0 playing 50-60% of the snaps, I say why not. Make it tough to be run on. We've got plenty of guys who can rush the passer. So I'm okay with DT/NT in round two. Right now the drop off between Hargave and the next man a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    RB Jonathan Taylor, from Wisconsin could be the pick. He's big and fast. A powerhouse, but he's also fumble prone and not really an ideal 3rd down back. I don't care much about not being a 3rd down back, but those fumbles...

Personally I really don't like spending big bucks in free agency on Centers or Guards, as other positions are more important in terms of winning games. For example, if Ben was out or Brown when he had his head on right, the Offense took a big hit. But when Pouncey was out, the Steelers picked up a unsigned Center and were for the most part fine. This is why I like the draft for Guard #2 or Center in the mid rounds as long as the payer can hold his own.

Our defense rocks right now. While some might not like the idea of Casey Hampton 2.0 playing 50-60% of the snaps, I say why not. Make it tough to be run on. We've got plenty of guys who can rush the passer. So I'm okay with DT/NT in round two. Right now the drop off between Hargave and the next man a big one.
    It is important for steelers that their RB is a good receiver, but to catch a checkdown or something like that is not hard to learn for an RB.

For the fumbles, it's another story ... I don't want to have an RB which is a fumble machine, so unless his problems are correctable, I wouldn't take him on my team!

For the nose tackle, you have a great point, since the steelers now have a great pass defense, the last thing we need is for us to be horrible against the run .... The steelers need to be sure will not happen.

For the o-line..to find to capable future starter in the mid round is the best case scenario for the steelers but this is possible.

It is important for steelers that their RB is a good receiver, but to catch a checkdown or something like that is not hard to learn for an RB.

For the fumbles, it's another story ... I don't want to have an RB which is a fumble machine, so unless his problems are correctable, I wouldn't take him on my team!

For the nose tackle, you have a great point, since the steelers now have a great pass defense, the last thing we need is for us to be horrible against the run .... The steelers need to be sure will not happen.

For the o-line..to find to capable future starter in the mid round is the best case scenario for the steelers but this is possible.

Taylor is a 1 cut back with good vision and average feet, but what makes him special is his acceleration and top-end speed. Its elite, and once he gets to the second level, he's can take it to the house. Taylor has very good size, cannot be arm tackled. He's the type that can move a pile and glass forward. Taylor has a good stiff arm as well. His stamina and durability is excellent. If your back can rip off long runs, I can tolerate a fumbler or two. James Conner has poor ball security too. Regarding ball security, it can be taught.

Put Taylor a power offense with guys who can pull ( DeCastro our Poncey ), and he can shine. He would also bring much-needed speed to a slower than average Steelers offense and open up the threat of play action. I'm okay with him in round two. Conner is my opinion, just can't stay healthy, and I wouldn't want to risk a 2nd-year contract with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Nn-VTeHAQ

Taylor is a 1 cut back with good vision and average feet, but what makes him special is his acceleration and top-end speed. Its elite, and once he gets to the second level, he's can take it to the house. Taylor has very good size, cannot be arm tackled. He's the type that can move a pile and glass forward. Taylor has a good stiff arm as well. His stamina and durability is excellent. If your back can rip off long runs, I can tolerate a fumbler or two. James Conner has poor ball security too. Regarding ball security, it can be taught.

Put Taylor a power offense with guys who can pull ( DeCastro our Poncey ), and he can shine. He would also bring much-needed speed to a slower than average Steelers offense and open up the threat of play action. I'm okay with him in round two. Conner is my opinion, just can't stay healthy, and I wouldn't want to risk a 2nd-year contract with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Nn-VTeHAQ
    great point!

But if Taylor is not available at the pick 49, who else would be good for steelers at the position of RB or WR in round 2 or 3-4?

As you say, the steelers offense need speed at the RB and WR position!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I believe in the 'build from the inside-out' philosophy strongly. The Steelers have Pouncey at Center. If Pouncey misses time for any reason his backup is JC Hassenaur. For the conversation let's say our OGs are DD at RG and Matt Feiler moves to LG. That leaves Wisneiwski as your backup at both OG spots. Moving on to LT with AV, who is the OT on this roster you trust the most should AV have to miss a game? The depth chart lists Chuks as the primary backup at LT. From what we have seen what is your estimated dropoff from AV to Chuks? I think it is serviceable but it does change how the offense has to operate. At RT Banner is the obvious choice out of what is left over. This puts Derwin Gray as the backup to the backup at both OT spots.

Now let's leave Feiler at the RT spot. This does a couple things. First it solidifies the OT position putting AV and Feiler as starters, and Chuks and Banner as primary backups respectively. This moves Wisneiwski into the starting role at LG now. There are no other OGs on the team for any depth at all. Unless your worst case scenario is Feiler is the OG depth and Banner becomes RT if Feiler has to make that move, then you have some Guard depth.

I can see the 2nd round pick at #49 overall being a weapon IF the right player falls and it is simply a no-brainer pick for the Steelers. But that is the ONLY scenario I can see the Steelers taking a RB or WR in the 2nd. With the addition of Ebron I don't think the 2nd round pick will be a TE either. The OL must have not only quality depth but players that can move into the starting role if called upon this season and be able to perform. This is a very real 2nd round option, IMO. I am positive the Steelers WILL select an IOL in the 2020 draft, the only question is when. I feel IOL and 2 other positions(Safety and Edge) are what make sense at this spot in this draft.

In an offensive line starved league the top 10-15 OTs and OGs will be off the board by pick 102, IMO. I have fallen into the trap of over-valuing positions because I see them as a position of need for the Steelers and therefore put that value on other teams too. But if you go and look at big boards on any of the 'Draft Analyst' sites they too have many of the top OL prospects gone by pick 102. My prediction is there will be much more talent in the later rounds(Day3) at WR, RB, and TE than at the OL and DL positions. If the Steelers do not take an IOL at 49 or 102 I will be very disappointed and surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I believe in the 'build from the inside-out' philosophy strongly. The Steelers have Pouncey at Center. If Pouncey misses time for any reason his backup is JC Hassenaur. For the conversation let's say our OGs are DD at RG and Matt Feiler moves to LG. That leaves Wisneiwski as your backup at both OG spots. Moving on to LT with AV, who is the OT on this roster you trust the most should AV have to miss a game? The depth chart lists Chuks as the primary backup at LT. From what we have seen what is your estimated dropoff from AV to Chuks? I think it is serviceable but it does change how the offense has to operate. At RT Banner is the obvious choice out of what is left over. This puts Derwin Gray as the backup to the backup at both OT spots.

Now let's leave Feiler at the RT spot. This does a couple things. First it solidifies the OT position putting AV and Feiler as starters, and Chuks and Banner as primary backups respectively. This moves Wisneiwski into the starting role at LG now. There are no other OGs on the team for any depth at all. Unless your worst case scenario is Feiler is the OG depth and Banner becomes RT if Feiler has to make that move, then you have some Guard depth.

I can see the 2nd round pick at #49 overall being a weapon IF the right player falls and it is simply a no-brainer pick for the Steelers. But that is the ONLY scenario I can see the Steelers taking a RB or WR in the 2nd. With the addition of Ebron I don't think the 2nd round pick will be a TE either. The OL must have not only quality depth but players that can move into the starting role if called upon this season and be able to perform. This is a very real 2nd round option, IMO. I am positive the Steelers WILL select an IOL in the 2020 draft, the only question is when. I feel IOL and 2 other positions(Safety and Edge) are what make sense at this spot in this draft.

In an offensive line starved league the top 10-15 OTs and OGs will be off the board by pick 102, IMO. I have fallen into the trap of over-valuing positions because I see them as a position of need for the Steelers and therefore put that value on other teams too. But if you go and look at big boards on any of the 'Draft Analyst' sites they too have many of the top OL prospects gone by pick 102. My prediction is there will be much more talent in the later rounds(Day3) at WR, RB, and TE than at the OL and DL positions. If the Steelers do not take an IOL at 49 or 102 I will be very disappointed and surprised.
    Good point!

If you have to choose,do you take a OT or a OG in pick 49?

I admit that for me, take an o-line early in a draft is not very exciting but I understand that it may be very necessary.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Good point!

If you have to choose,do you take a OT or a OG in pick 49?
    My list of C/G flexible IOL I would have in play at #49 in no particular order(although I have my own order):
    1. Lloyd Cushenberry
    2. Cesar Ruiz
    3. Jonah Jackson
    4. Tyler Biadasz
    5. Matt Hennessy

Same List but at the OT position only. Again no particular order:
    1. Lucas Niang(LT)
    2. Prince Tega Wanogho(LT)
    3. Saadiq Charles(Swing OT)
    4. Hakeem Adeniji(T/G)
    5. Ben Bartch(Swing OT)

I predict all of these prospects to be off the board by the Steeler's pick at 124. I could see selecting one at 49 rather than risking 102. If given the choice at equal potential, I would take an IOL prospect over an OT prospect.

great point!

But if Taylor is not available at the pick 49, who else would be good for steelers at the position of RB or WR in round 2 or 3-4?

As you say, the steelers offense need speed at the RB and WR position!
    DK Dobbins is pretty good, and might be there in round two for the Steelers. He looks like a solid pro, but I wasn't to see more workout numbers.

The trouble is by the middle of round two, the game breakers at RB and WR are usually gone. This isn't a good overall speed draft for RB or WR, outside of the kid from Alabama, who who will go in round one.

Our round three pick is very late. 100 players will be off the board. I do think RB Cam Akers could be a nice upgrade, he was stuck behind a Bad OL at FSU

A mock draft with Taylor being our 2nd pick could look like this:

2 ) RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
    3 ) DB/S Damon Arnette, Ohio State
    4 ) Center Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin
    4 ) DT/NT Davon Hamilton, Ohio State
    6 ) LB Evan Weaver, California
    7 ) P Braden Mann

i believe in building around the most imprint positions first.

They are QB, Pass rusher, Cornerback, Offensive Tackle and Receiver, if you weak here, you should always pick this spot over Center or Guard early in the draft. I think the NFL concurs, as the spots I listed are quite often top 10 overall picks. Guards are very rare in the first ten picks, Centers even more so.

The Steelers are okay with the starters on the OL, though age will be an issue sooner or later. I think the Steelers should keep Feiler at Right Tackle. Chucks is too much of a downgrade. There was an open conception at Right Tackle last year and it was over quickly. The depth is thin at OG and C, but like I said Pouncey to me is vastly over valued these days. He's a little weak had too many penalties, and doesn't pull like he used to. If he he went down, we can make due. If Big Al went down, OUCH, not sure if anyone could play Left Tackle without being a major weak link. We need depth, and hopefully a future starter at the other OG spot and Center. Rounds 3,4, and 4 I think make sense.

For a wildcard, Clemson's John Simpson is a bulldozer at guard. Could be a surprise pick for the Steelers. Check him out.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-s...8-1567c1c85840
    Last edited by Six Rings; 04-05-2020 at 05:51 PM.

i believe in building around the most imprint positions first.

They are QB, Pass rusher, Cornerback, Offensive Tackle and Receiver, if you weak here, you should always pick this spot over Center or Guard early in the draft. I think the NFL concurs, as the spots I listed are quite often top 10 overall picks. Guards are very rare in the first ten picks, Centers even more so.

The Steelers are okay with the starters on the OL, though age will be an issue sooner or later. I think the Steelers should keep Feiler at Right Tackle. Chucks is too much of a downgrade. There was an open conception at Right Tackle last year and it was over quickly. The depth is thin at OG and C, but like I said Pouncey to me is vastly over valued these days. He's a little weak had too many penalties, and doesn't pull like he used to. He he went down, we can make due. If Big Al went down, OUCH, not sure if anyone could play Left Tackle without being a major weak link. We need depth, and hopefully a future starter at the other OG spot and Center. Rounds 3,4, and 4 I think make sense.

For a wildcard, Clemson's John Simpson is a bulldozer at guard. Could be a surprise pick for the Steelers. Check him out.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-s...8-1567c1c85840
    I'm not going to poke holes in any prospect. The list I made is a list of prospects that have OL flexibility. Meaning they can play at different positions along the line and have done so successfully. There are other 'more pure' Guards, Centers, and Tackles that have potential to be great players in this draft. David Decastro is not going to be asked to move to Center because where he is is what he does best. For the 2020 draft the Steelers need depth at LG, RG, and Center. Possibly at OT depending on where Feiler ends up. Getting a flexible OL that CAN play well at multiple spots just makes more sense to me for this year's draft. If this OL doesn't hold up it won't matter who the QB is or who is getting the ball. Only 1 pick in the top 100 but 4 picks in the top 150 does make this an interesting chess play draft. I don't think we will pick a RB, WR, TE, QB, DL, ILB or CB at 49. I think that pick will be used on a flex position safety that can play FS/SS/NB, has coverage and tackling ability, OR a flexible OL that can backup at C/G or T/G, OR another OLB/Edge should the right guy fall down. Yes there are prospects from other positions that would be hard to pass on if they fall to 49.

Devil's advocate: I don't see the Steelers drafting a RB in this draft at all. However, if D'Andre Swift fell to 49 I would understand if the Steelers shuffled their board and made the pick. I just don't see that scenario happening.
    Would the Steelers select an ILB with the 49th overall pick this year? I really don't see that happening. But what if Patrick Queen is still on the board at 49?
    Yes there are always variables and things are always fluid but this is how I see the board for the Steelers for the 2020 draft. Just my opinion only.

Devil's advocate: I don't see the Steelers drafting a RB in this draft at all. However, if D'Andre Swift fell to 49 I would understand if the Steelers shuffled their board and made the pick. I just don't see that scenario happening.
    Would the Steelers select an ILB with the 49th overall pick this year? I really don't see that happening. But what if Patrick Queen is still on the board at 49?
    Yes there are always variables and things are always fluid but this is how I see the board for the Steelers for the 2020 draft. Just my opinion only.
    Fact, the Steelers were 29th overall in rushing averaging 3.66 yards per carry, averaging 90.4 yards a game. We are 8-8 thanks to a great defense who produced lots of turnovers. Don't count on all those turnovers next season.

I don't think the Steelers can rely on Conner anymore, and Samuels and Snell didn't look like a long term answer when Conner was out.

Devil's advocate: This was because Ben was out and Rudy and Duck were that bad. Teams opted to take away the ground game, and let the Steelers try to beat them through the air. This is also true.

Reality: It was bit of both. The OL wasn't rooting out DL players like they used to. Nix was hurt. Our backs as a group are slow. If Cooner can come back to 2018 form, then we don't need a back for this season. I doubt he can, and he's a free agent next year. If we dont take a back this year, we will need to next year.

Running back is the type of position where you can find a star player later in the draft and get lucky. The next star doesn't have to be a first-round pick.

Example. Devlin Cook, a 2nd round pick. Alvin Karma, a 3rd round pick. Kareem Hunt, a 3rd round pick. Derick Henry, a 2nd round pick. All four of these guys made at least one pro bowl. If you go further back, David Johnson a 3rd round pick.

Running back isn't that tough of an evaluation, as they get the ball often. I think Taylor can he something like Henry, and would endorse that pick. The NFL has gone soft. Taylor is a man of iron. Steelers fans will love his playing style, and fantasy football geeks , his big play ability. Some will say but Taylor he has a lot of wear and tear. He has two ( almost 3 ) 2,000 yard seasons, and his super durable. We are drafting him for now, not his second contract. I'll worry about a back after his first 5 seasons are over. Would I trade up for him, maybe next's years 4th. He's not going to be there for us.

Fact, the Steelers were 29th overall in rushing averaging 3.66 yards per carry, averaging 90.4 yards a game. We are 8-8 thanks to a great defense who produced lots of turnovers. Don't count on all those turnovers next season.

I don't think the Steelers can rely on Conner anymore, and Samuels and Snell didn't look like a long term answer when Conner was out.

Devil's advocate: This was because Ben was out and Rudy and Duck were that bad. Teams opted to take away the ground game, and let the Steelers try to beat them through the air. This is also true.

Reality: It was bit of both. The OL wasn't rooting out DL players like they used to. Nix was hurt. Our backs as a group are slow. If Cooner can come back to 2018 form, then we don't need a back for this season. I doubt he can, and he's a free agent next year. If we dont take a back this year, we will need to next year.

Running back is the type of position where you can find a star player later in the draft and get lucky. The next star doesn't have to be a first-round pick.

Example. Devlin Cook, a 2nd round pick. Alvin Karma, a 3rd round pick. Kareem Hunt, a 3rd round pick. Derick Henry, a 2nd round pick. All four of these guys made at least one pro bowl. If you go further back, David Johnson a 3rd round pick.

Running back isn't that tough of an evaluation, as they get the ball often. I think Taylor can he something like Henry, and would endorse that pick. The NFL has gone soft. Taylor is a man of iron. Steelers fans will love his playing style, and fantasy football geeks , his big play ability. Some will say but Taylor he has a lot of wear and tear. He has two ( almost 3 ) 2,000 yard seasons, and his super durable. We are drafting him for now, not his second contract. I'll worry about a back after his first 5 seasons are over. Would I trade up for him, maybe next's years 4th. He's not going to be there for us.
    Think about that for just a second. 29th overall in a league of 32 and they averaged over 3.5 yards per carry. Consider the SB champ Chiefs averaged 4.1 yards/carry. I thought it was much worse than that.

Think about that for just a second. 29th overall in a league of 32 and they averaged over 3.5 yards per carry. Consider the SB champ Chiefs averaged 4.1 yards/carry. I thought it was much worse than that.
    This is a big difference and also the Chiefs are the team who need the running game the least in the NFL.

This is a big difference and also the Chiefs are the team who need the running game the least in the NFL.
    So? My point was it's not that big of an issue from last season. Even if we averaged 5-6 yards per carry the offense was broken. Average yards per carry means squat in the big picture. This isn't fantasy points so that stat doesn't even calculate. Do you want to see that number go up? Of course you do but unless you have a big picture to go with it what does it even mean?

So? My point was it's not that big of an issue from last season. Even if we averaged 5-6 yards per carry the offense was broken. Average yards per carry means squat in the big picture. This isn't fantasy points so that stat doesn't even calculate. Do you want to see that number go up? Of course you do but unless you have a big picture to go with it what does it even mean?
    Yeah I understand your point and of course our passing game was the problem and if Ben plays close to a pro bowl level it will help the running game, but I would like to have a more explosive running game

We can't rely on Ben to throw 40 pass per game and we need a replacement for Samuels, since I don't think he's good and if Conner is injured again we only have Snell.

Maybe in the second round it's not a good idea to draft one but I would like to have a fast running back in round 3 or 4 at least if possible.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The like the same O-linemen who were discussed the other thread(s).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The like the same O-linemen who were discussed the other thread(s).
    My bad, I thought this was about RBs...............