Thread: Most underrated Steelers in the last 20 years(since 2000)

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Most underrated Steelers in the last 20 years(since 2000)

Who are for you some of the most underrated steelers since 2000.For me it's Willie Parker!

He was such a big playmaker for us before his injury and if he had fewer carries in 2006 and 2007, he would have been even more effective!...But some hated him as player and I don't know why...He was undrafted free agent too!

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Re: Most underrated Steelers in the last 20 years(since 2000)

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Who are for you some of the most underrated steelers since 2000.For me it's Willie Parker!

He was such a big playmaker for us before his injury and if he had fewer carries in 2006 and 2007, he would have been even more effective!...But some hated him as player and I don't know why...He was undrafted free agent too!

I always thought Levon Kirkland never got the recognition he deserved .. he was a beast.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Most underrated Steelers in the last 20 years(since 2000)

For me, at the top of the list (and should be number one on everyone’s list) is Aaron Smith.

Willie Parker and Levin Kirkland are both really good ones as well. I’ll add Casey Hampton also...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The top of the list and should be number one on everyone’s list is Aaron Smith.
    Great one!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Can we put Ben Roethlisbergers Pump Fake in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Can we put Ben Roethlisbergers Pump Fake in there?
    His pump fake is one of his favorite moves!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

For me, at the top of the list (and should be number one on everyone’s list) is Aaron Smith.
    My Chargers friends used to try to compare their team against the Steelers position by position. They were delusional, arguing that every Chargers player was vastly superior to his corresoondijg counterpart on the Steelers.

Well, every player except for Troy... and Aaron Smith.

Those two are no-brainers.”

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Aaron Smith's value was underrated. Few people remember in 2007 when his season ending biceps injury late in the season led to a decline in defensive performance

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Aaron Smith's value was underrated. Few people remember in 2007 when his season ending biceps injury late in the season led to a decline in defensive performance
    The “rushing yards allowed” per game doubled once he went down. Had he not gotten injured, we get the #2 seed and win the Super Bowl. It was a weak, weak, weak playoffs that season

And, Yes, I know that the 18-1 Taperiots were in those playoffs. But, James Harrison was on a whole other level that season. When Smith went down, teams could double- (triple-) team Harrison.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Underrated amongst people league wide: Dan Kreider, Ike Taylor. Not even a pro bowl for these guys which is not the case with the previously mentioned players

The list is a lot more interesting when we focus on those who are:

Underrated amongst even steeler fans: 1) Ramon Foster: Easy to forget about an undrafted utility lineman that was so-so for a long time before turning it up to a pro bowl caliber level after Munchak came on board

2) Clark Haggans: A pretty lowkey steady pass rush presence that doesnt get his name called for outlandish mistakes. Benefits of playing around superstars i suppose but i always thought he did a quietly effective job on the weakside

Im probably going to get roasted for these next 2 but im prorating these next choices based on the years they were BOTH healthy and getting playing time

3) Keenan Lewis: Looked like a total project player and a bust his first few seasons but once he got a shot at being our slot corner he was one of the better slot guys in the league. His second year as a starter (playing in the slot still counts for me in the early 2010's) was a weird one. If i recall correctly we were pretty much at the bottom of the league in pressures/sacks but top of the league in pass defense. And he was a big reason, giving big receivers serious problems in man coverage. Here are some other snippets from bleacherreport from that season: "leading the AFC in passes defended. He finished fourth in the conference in yards allowed per target and seventh in touchdowns allowed per target among cornerbacks who played in more than 60 percent of their team’s defensive snaps....never gave up 100 yards in a game to opposing receivers whom he covered. Lewis was equally stout against the run, ranking third in the AFC in run stop percentage, the portion of a cornerback’s tackles that constitute a “loss” for the offense. The Steelers defensive back didn’t miss a single tackle on opposition running plays and helped the team’s defensive backfield allow the fifth fewest yards on runs that exceeded 10 yards." Not sure what the hell happened to him in New Orleans but he really bombed after that

4) Isaac Redman: Cue the suddeness and glide jokes. In all seriousness though, before his career went down the drain because of a series of stingers starting in 2012, Redman was absolute money on 3rd/4th and short. One of the absolute best in the league. And it came at a good time, when in previous years we were one of the worst teams in the league on 3rd and short. He had some big games when it mattered too. I still firmly believe to this day that we wouldnt have been upset by Tebow in 2011 if we fed Redman the rock more (142 yards on 19 touches). And he had a TD reception against the Ravens in a 2010 nailbiter that helped us jockey for better seeding and get us to the superbowl
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Underrated amongst people league wide: Dan Kreider, Ike Taylor. Not even a pro bowl for these guys which is not the case with the previously mentioned players

The list is a lot more interesting when we focus on those who are:

Underrated amongst even steeler fans: 1) Ramon Foster: Easy to forget about an undrafted utility lineman that was so-so for a long time before turning it up to a pro bowl caliber level after Munchak came on board

2) Clark Haggans: A pretty lowkey steady pass rush presence that doesnt get his name called for outlandish mistakes. Benefits of playing around superstars i suppose but i always thought he did a quietly effective job on the weakside

Im probably going to get roasted for these next 2 but im prorating these next choices based on the years they were BOTH healthy and getting playing time

3) Keenan Lewis: Looked like a total project player and a bust his first few seasons but once he got a shot at being our slot corner he was one of the better slot guys in the league. His second year as a starter (playing in the slot still counts for me in the early 2010's) was a weird one. If i recall correctly we were pretty much at the bottom of the league in pressures/sacks but top of the league in pass defense. And he was a big reason, giving big receivers serious problems in man coverage. Here are some other snippets from bleacherreport from that season: "leading the AFC in passes defended. He finished fourth in the conference in yards allowed per target and seventh in touchdowns allowed per target among cornerbacks who played in more than 60 percent of their team’s defensive snaps....never gave up 100 yards in a game to opposing receivers whom he covered. Lewis was equally stout against the run, ranking third in the AFC in run stop percentage, the portion of a cornerback’s tackles that constitute a “loss” for the offense. The Steelers defensive back didn’t miss a single tackle on opposition running plays and helped the team’s defensive backfield allow the fifth fewest yards on runs that exceeded 10 yards." Not sure what the hell happened to him in New Orleans but he really bombed after that

4) Isaac Redman: Cue the suddeness and glide jokes. In all seriousness though, before his career went down the drain because of a series of stingers starting in 2012, Redman was absolute money on 3rd/4th and short. One of the absolute best in the league. And it came at a good time, when in previous years we were one of the worst teams in the league on 3rd and short. He had some big games when it mattered too. I still firmly believe to this day that we wouldnt have been upset by Tebow in 2011 if we fed Redman the rock more (142 yards on 19 touches). And he had a TD reception against the Ravens in a 2010 nailbiter that helped us jockey for better seeding and get us to the superbowl
    Keenan Lewis had been good with the saints in 2013,but it was after it was a problem for him.I don't know if it was his injuries but the entire saints defense were awful in 2014 to 2016.Good call for Redman….Before his problem at the end,he was solid on 3rd down and short.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Jeff Hartings

Chris Hoke

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The “rushing yards allowed” per game doubled once he went down. Had he not gotten injured, we get the #2 seed and win the Super Bowl. It was a weak, weak, weak playoffs that season

And, Yes, I know that the 18-1 Taperiots were in those playoffs. But, James Harrison was on a whole other level that season. When Smith went down, teams could double- (triple-) team Harrison.
    Yeah, Fred Taylor and MJD GASHING the Steelers run defense in the snow in the middle of December.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Best all time late round draft pick was LC Greenwood in the 10th rd of 1969. He wore gold cleats because Mean Joe got credit for a lot of his tackles early on until he wore those new shoes.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

A tough question. I'll go with Heath Miller A rare three-way TE who can block, run and catch. A red-zone threat. Very durable and consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    A tough question. I'll go with Heath Miller A rare three-way TE who can block, run and catch. A red-zone threat. Very durable and consistent.
    The steelers fan recognizes Heath Miller at its true value ... I can say the same for Aaron Smith.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The steelers fan recognizes Heath Miller at its true value ... I can say the same for Aaron Smith.
    Smith was under rated as well. Dick Lebeau once called him the best player on his defense. Smith played at a run heavy NFL era as a 3-4 end, meaning he wasn't a big sack man, but could have been in modern times.

Deshea Townsend wasn't a star, but was one of those under rated types that helped the Steelers win.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Bud Dupree.