Thread: Feel like talking some baseball?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Feel like talking some baseball?

I didn't get into baseball at all until the very late 70s and early 80s(78-82). Most of my family and friends were huge into the Cardinals. So of course I became a Royals fan just to be different and directly opposed. During this time I also really enjoyed watching the Big Red Machine, albeit their late years. Mid 80s I started watching more of the Cardinals games since they were on every single weekend at my house. Those were fun years with Ozzy and company. I also came to really like the mid 80s Mets team that has become such a legendary story amongst baseball purists in my area. Strawberry and Doc Gooden were just the tip of the iceberg of that interesting bunch. This is when my interest in the history of baseball started as well. The Yankees and the Red Sox, the Giants and the Dodgers, the Cards and Cubs, other rivalries from around the league began to fascinate me. The more I looked into and studied the history of baseball and the names I learned about and the feats of the greatest players the bigger fan I became. It is very much my belief that baseball should be experienced in the stands, with a glove on one hand and a cold beer in the other. Hopefully seated next to your kids or grandkids, or maybe an old friend that baseball keeps you in touch with. It has come to my mind that social distancing is the perfect opportunity for a catch. In the backyard, over the neighbor's fence, or across the street. Just no spitballs allowed.

Any and all baseball talk welcome. Your favorite team, team moments, favorite historical baseball stories, personal baseball stories. How did you come to love the game of baseball?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Feel like talking some baseball?

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I am not much of a baseball fan but when I was younger my 1st sports hero was Roberto Clemente. That being said I was not alive when this happened but I would argue this is the single greatest HR in the history of baseball. IMHO this is right up there with the Miracle on Ice as the greatest sports upset of all time.

Only world series game 7 to end with a homerun.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I do remember that Stargell homerun. I may not have if just brought up in conversation but seeing that film I definitely remember. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I am not much of a baseball fan but when I was younger my 1st sports hero was Roberto Clemente. That being said I was not alive when this happened but I would argue this is the single greatest HR in the history of baseball. IMHO this is right up there with the Miracle on Ice as the greatest sports upset of all time.

Only world series game 7 to end with a homerun.
    I wasn't alive yet for this one either. Great video clip of that at bat though just amazing how we can look back so far now and the films are still good. I really appreciate the share.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

For me, I watch baseball mainly during the playoffs and World Series. I have many memories, not just Pirate memories because I rarely saw the Pirates on TV except during the playoffs and the rare regular season "national" game (before cable). Even with cable, the only teams that were shown were regularly in my area via cable: Cubs/White Sox (WGN), Braves (TBS), Orioles (WTTG?) and the Mets (WOR)

My memories are similar to what you posted:

1976 playoffs - Chris Chambliss and that walkoff HR in Game 5 of the ALCS. Howard Cosell called it and that's my first memory of baseball really.
    1977-78 Dodgers/Yankees - Reggie's 3 HR game again Cosell making it a bigger event than it already was.
    1979 - We are Famly, Pirates storm back from 3-1 deficit to beat the O's. Pops and The Cobra. The Candyman. Kent Tekulve. City of Champions!
    1980 - Battle of the 3rd basemen, probably 2 of the best in history. Schmidt vs Brett. Tug Mcgraw as closer for the Phillies
    1981 - Strike year. I recall Rick Monday hitting a HR in the Dodgers Expos NLCS in a daytime game. I got home from school and my brother told me about it.

Many many more memories and I'll add in another time
    Last edited by tube517; 04-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    For me, I watch baseball mainly during the playoffs and World Series. I have many memories, not just Pirate memories because I rarely saw the Pirates on TV except during the playoffs and the rare regular season "national" game (before cable). Even with cable, the only teams that were shown were regularly in my area via cable: Cubs/White Sox (WGN), Braves (TBS), Orioles (WTTG?) and the Mets (WOR)

My memories are similar to what you posted:

1976 playoffs - Chris Chambliss and that walkoff HR in Game 5 of the ALCS. Howard Cosell called it and that's my first memory of baseball really.
    1977-78 Dodgers/Yankees - Reggie's 3 HR game again Cosell making it a bigger event than it already was.
    1979 - We are Famly, Pirates storm back from 3-1 deficit to beat the O's. Pops and The Cobra. The Candyman. Kent Tekulve. City of Champions!
    1980 - Battle of the 3rd basemen, probably 2 of the best in history. Schmidt vs Brett. Tug Mcgraw as closer for the Phillies
    1981 - Strike year. I recall Rick Monday hitting a HR in the Dodgers Astros NLCS in a daytime game. I got home from school and my brother told me about it.

Many many more memories and I'll add in another time
    In 1981,the homerun of Rick Monday was against the Montreal Expos!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    In 1981,the homerun of Rick Monday was against the Montreal Expos!
    Oh, thanks PB. I'm old and can't remember lol. Yes you are correct!

The Expos had a talented team: Andre Dawson Gary Carter Tim Raines Warren Cromartie. They just could not get over the hump

I know most on here hate everything Boston sports but the 2004 ALCS and World Series has to be one of the highlights in my baseball memory. The comeback from 3 games down to beat the arch-rival Yankees, and then to beat the best statistical offense Cardinals that year in a sweep was a true fairy tale way for the Red Sox to end their drought. Understand I am not the same fan when it comes to baseball as I am with football. I have a favorite team but no teams that I hate like in football rivalries. I can find fond memories with every MLB team from the late 70s all the way to today.

The Atlanta Braves 1995 World Series win was another one of my favorites. Not because they won over Cleveland but because it was the year after the strike. That Braves team was loaded with stars and made 5 WS trips in the 90s. Probably would have made 6 if not for the strike year. Collector's note: The Braves have 3 World Series Championships. One as the Boston Braves, a second as the Milwaukee Braves, then a third as the Atlanta Braves. 7 HoF members played in this WS, 1 HoF manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I know most on here hate everything Boston sports but the 2004 ALCS and World Series has to be one of the highlights in my baseball memory. The comeback from 3 games down to beat the arch-rival Yankees, and then to beat the best statistical offense Cardinals that year in a sweep was a true fairy tale way for the Red Sox to end their drought. Understand I am not the same fan when it comes to baseball as I am with football. I have a favorite team but no teams that I hate like in football rivalries. I can find fond memories with every MLB team from the late 70s all the way to today.

The Atlanta Braves 1995 World Series win was another one of my favorites. Not because they won over Cleveland but because it was the year after the strike. That Braves team was loaded with stars and made 5 WS trips in the 90s. Probably would have made 6 if not for the strike year. Collector's note: The Braves have 3 World Series Championships. One as the Boston Braves, a second as the Milwaukee Braves, then a third as the Atlanta Braves. 7 HoF members played in this WS, 1 HoF manager.
    David Ortiz was so clutch in the ALCS in 2004!

Are you agree with Kaboly on this?