Thread: Colbert has hope for Steelers ILB depth

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Colbert has hope for Steelers ILB depth

The Pittsburgh Steelers lost two pieces at inside linebacker over the lats month. Tyler Matakevich earned a well-deserved payday with the Buffalo Bills while the team wisely cut tied with Mark Barron, clearing valuable cap space along the way.

That does leave the question. What does the depth at inside linebacker look like in 2020? Ulysees Gilbert III is an easy man to forget but Kevin Colbert brought him up when asked about the position in a recent conference call with reporters.

“You know Ulysees Gilbert is coming, we drafted last year, and was coming along as a special teams contributor while he learned the defense,” he said via PennLive’s Jacob Klinger. “Unfortunately, he suffered a back injury that ended his season. But you know, he was showing good promise to be able to be a contributor at some point.”

Continue reading by clicking here: https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/20...ilb-depth.html
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Colbert has hope for Steelers ILB depth

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This is an interesting position this offseason and draft. The Steelers have met with Tanner Muse who played Safety for Clemson. Muse is expected by many to make a move to ILB for the NFL. At the very least he would play a more Box Safety/Nickel Safety role. He ran a 4.41/40 at the combine so he has great speed to be able to get sideline to sideline. 6'2"-227lbs is a bit small weight-wise for the middle but his frame leaves room to bulk up to 235-240 range. I think he could backup VW's(30) role and be another core ST. If available in the 6th I could see the Steelers consider this pick.

Justin Strnad is a pure ILB I could also see the Steelers considering in the draft. 6'3"-235lbs out of Wake Forest he's another I see in a VW role. He ran a faster 40 than Matakevich but was slower in the 20 yard shuttle, however you work that into your evaluation.

With VW, Bush, and Gilbert as our known guys. Spillane is really the only backup at the position. I could see an ILB selection in this draft if the right guy falls to the right spot. These 2 that I mention above would be my personal front runners for that selection.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

B2S, I have not been able to get time to watch him but Davion Taylor from Colorado is getting a lot of talk from twitter scouts. Had impressive workout numbers at the combine.

I can see them adding a ILB in round 4.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    B2S, I have not been able to get time to watch him but Davion Taylor from Colorado is getting a lot of talk from twitter scouts. Had impressive workout numbers at the combine.

I can see them adding a ILB in round 4.
    Davion Taylor measures out a lot like Tanner Muse. Given that Taylor was a JUCO transfer and Muse would be changing from Safety to ILB there is a learning curve and development time needed for both. Muse has 2 meetings including a dinner with the Steelers in his pocket though. He's still a front runner for now. I wouldn't be surprised if this draft saw zero LBs drafted at all. Maybe a little surprised but not totally shocked.

I'll give you another name, Austin Hall. Hall has size and speed and is a very talented coverage ILB but inconsistent vs the run and can get swallowed by linemen getting to the 2nd level. However Hall should at least be a UDFA invite if he goes undrafted. The kid is just an athletic freak. I put some game and his pro day on another thread. I'll see if I can find that and add it here.

Here is Hall's pro day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2L3...Qov5-QR_bl_pPk

Memphis vs Navy 2018(Hall's Sophomore year): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efW1GXqxtAg

Davion Taylor vs Oregon 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_IXEM6WcA8

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'll give you another name, Austin Hall. Hall has size and speed and is a very talented coverage ILB but inconsistent vs the run and can get swallowed by linemen getting to the 2nd level. However Hall should at least be a UDFA invite if he goes undrafted. The kid is just an athletic freak. I put some game and his pro day on another thread. I'll see if I can find that and add it here.

Here is Hall's pro day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2L3...Qov5-QR_bl_pPk

Memphis vs Navy 2018(Hall's Sophomore year): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efW1GXqxtAg