Thread: Draft Questions

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Draft Questions

So I have a couple of Steelers-centric draft questions. Thought some of you all would know the answer(s):

1. Who are the WRs in this class that are going to go 3rd round or lower because of this or that question mark, but just have draw dropping physical abilities? I'm thinking guys like Martavis Bryant, Vandes-Scantling, etc. Not asking anyone to pick out guys that are sure-fire successful NFL wideouts, more of guys who you have come across that make you go "Wow! That's impressive. Wonder if he would work out at the next level?"

2. Same thing for safety.

3. Does anyone know anything about Bryce Huff? DE from Memphis. Most places have him undrafted. But I have come across a few people that claim he is a diamond in the rough. Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Draft Questions

3rd round or lower WRs there are many. 2 from Tennessee in Juaun Jennings and Marquez Callaway, both have star player making potential. Quartney Davis and Kendrick Rogers both from Texas A&M. Chase Claypool is huge and fast. I have become fond of Quintez Cephus of Wisconsin and Lynn Bowden of Kentucky. These 2 guys are in the 6'1"-200lbs range but are pretty fast and just tough for DBs to get on the ground. Bowden actually played QB for a season and would be a monster in a goal-line RPO/Wildcat offense as well.

Safeties are tough. There is Julian Blackmon of Utah that scouts say is a monster tackler and good in coverage due to playing CB before converting. Steelers have met with J.R. Reed of Georgia, and Tanner Muse of Clemson. Reed is pretty much a box safety only and Muse is expected to switch to ILB by a lot of people.

Bryce Huff, DE, Memphis: Listed at 6'2"-255lbs played more of a stand up OLB than in a 3pt stance like a DE. I watched the tigers play 3 games live at the Liberty Bowl last season. SMU for College Gameday, and back to back weeks against Cincinnati. One was for the west division title and the second was for the conference championship. All 3 were big games for the Memphis program and Huff was a star in all 3. Dude is fast off the snap. Has a nice speed rush. He is strong in a bull rush. Those may be his only 2 pass rush moves though. He was one of those guys that just made the play when a play was needed. When you really needed a sack/TFL or an open field tackle or a pass defensed, Huff was usually the guy that made it. I could see him being that diamond in the rough as you say(39TFLs w/16 being sacks over the last 2 seasons). I could also see him getting handled by NFL OTs. He's a bigger version of Genard Avery(same defense at Memphis) who played very well for the Browns but not so much for the Eagles last season. Avery started under Fuente at Memphis but finished under Norvell. Huff played under Norvell. Just that they were asked to do the same things at the college level.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    3rd round or lower WRs there are many. 2 from Tennessee in Juaun Jennings and Marquez Callaway, both have star player making potential. Quartney Davis and Kendrick Rogers both from Texas A&M. Chase Claypool is huge and fast. I have become fond of Quintez Cephus of Wisconsin and Lynn Bowden of Kentucky. These 2 guys are in the 6'1"-200lbs range but are pretty fast and just tough for DBs to get on the ground. Bowden actually played QB for a season and would be a monster in a goal-line RPO/Wildcat offense as well.

Safeties are tough. There is Julian Blackmon of Utah that scouts say is a monster tackler and good in coverage due to playing CB before converting. Steelers have met with J.R. Reed of Georgia, and Tanner Muse of Clemson. Reed is pretty much a box safety only and Muse is expected to switch to ILB by a lot of people.

Bryce Huff, DE, Memphis: Listed at 6'2"-255lbs played more of a stand up OLB than in a 3pt stance like a DE. I watched the tigers play 3 games live at the Liberty Bowl last season. SMU for College Gameday, and back to back weeks against Cincinnati. One was for the west division title and the second was for the conference championship. All 3 were big games for the Memphis program and Huff was a star in all 3. Dude is fast off the snap. Has a nice speed rush. He is strong in a bull rush. Those may be his only 2 pass rush moves though. He was one of those guys that just made the play when a play was needed. When you really needed a sack/TFL or an open field tackle or a pass defensed, Huff was usually the guy that made it. I could see him being that diamond in the rough as you say(39TFLs w/16 being sacks over the last 2 seasons). I could also see him getting handled by NFL OTs. He's a bigger version of Genard Avery(same defense at Memphis) who played very well for the Browns but not so much for the Eagles last season. Avery started under Fuente at Memphis but finished under Norvell. Huff played under Norvell. Just that they were asked to do the same things at the college level.
    Thanks for the information. Cephus had some off field issues that may scare teams away w/out the in person sit downs. But he produced in a horrid passing offense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Sorry I miss-typed Huff's style. He actually played more from a 3pt stance than as a stand up OLB. Still very quick off the snap.

Here he is highlighted in a game vs Cincinnati: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2mjksJ8as8

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

WRs:

Michael Pittman Jr., USC
    I feel like he’s an early R2 type of player, but everything I’ve seen has him going R3. He’ll make some team extremely happy.

Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
    He’s either a big WR or a small TE. If he were either 15 lbs lighter or heavier, he’d likely be a R2 pick. The ‘tweener status probably knocks him into R3.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty
    The next “small school prospect” that could be the next Randy Moss.

Van Jefferson, Florida
    The star of the Senior Bowl practices.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    WRs:

Michael Pittman Jr., USC
    I feel like he’s an early R2 type of player, but everything I’ve seen has him going R3. He’ll make some team extremely happy.

Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
    He’s either a big WR or a small TE. If he were either 15 lbs lighter or heavier, he’d likely be a R2 pick. The ‘tweener status probably knocks him into R3.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty
    The next “small school prospect” that could be the next Randy Moss.

Van Jefferson, Florida
    The star of the Senior Bowl practices.
    I really like Pittman and Claypool. Have from early on. I thought at least one of these guys would be in the top 5-10 WRs due to ability to just go get the football even in heavy traffic. I could see one of these guys battling hard with Wash for the 'Z' role.

I hear/read good things about Gandy-Golden but I really know nothing about him.

And Van Jefferson is a local guy from near me and is obviously a draft favorite for that reason alone. He was a huge part of the Gators offense and I think he will make a decent NFL WR. I just don't see a spot on the Steelers where he starts.

I would ask you to go to the prospects thread and look into the highlights I posted on Juaun Jennings. Look at his ability to catch in traffic, quickness in open space, and how hard he is to tackle. Injuries in college could make him fall on draft day boards and if he's there late 4th-6th I would take him in a heartbeat.

Here's a name I just remembered from the late round/UDFA list: Austin Hall from Memphis. 6'2"-225lbs. Played a lot in coverage in the middle. Most of what I read by scouts says he is expected to move to Safety for the NFL. I posted another game film from 2018 vs Navy in the Draft Prospects thread. It's a highlight game thread but you get to see some of Bryce Huff and Austin Hall during their sophomore seasons.

Actually, I'll go ahead and post that game here too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efW1GXqxtAg

Just found this. Austin Hall's pro day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2L3...Qov5-QR_bl_pPk
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 04-03-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I would ask you to go to the prospects thread and look into the highlights I posted on Juaun Jennings. Look at his ability to catch in traffic, quickness in open space, and how hard he is to tackle. Injuries in college could make him fall on draft day boards and if he's there late 4th-6th I would take him in a heartbeat.
    I shall take a gander. I do believe that he also had a good showing during the Senior Bowl practices.

Oh... Pittman and Jefferson have NFL bloodlines (which is something that the Steelers love).

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So I have a couple of Steelers-centric draft questions. Thought some of you all would know the answer(s):

1. Who are the WRs in this class that are going to go 3rd round or lower because of this or that question mark, but just have draw dropping physical abilities? I'm thinking guys like Martavis Bryant, Vandes-Scantling, etc. Not asking anyone to pick out guys that are sure-fire successful NFL wideouts, more of guys who you have come across that make you go "Wow! That's impressive. Wonder if he would work out at the next level?"

2. Same thing for safety.

3. Does anyone know anything about Bryce Huff? DE from Memphis. Most places have him undrafted. But I have come across a few people that claim he is a diamond in the rough. Thoughts?

The Steelers pick in the third round is pick #102 overall. By this time all the size-speed guys will be gone, and you'll be left with projects, or slot guys, or #4 WR types. While the Steelers have hit home runs with Wallace, and Sanders in round three, and did okay with Wheaton. Coates was a swing and a miss. We simply pick too late to get lucky again. Johnson showed some quality as a rookie, and with Ben, Ju-Ju will bounce back. Chase Claypool showed some similar numbers to Martavis Byrant, but there no chance he'll be on the board by pick #102 overall. I think some team might topic him at the end of round one or early in round two. They say this is a great WR class. I say it has great depth, and lacks greats. Maybe 2 pro bowl players out of this class. I like Jefferson a lot. Okay, Burrow was throwing him the ball, but the guy gets open, catches it, and is clutch. If Jefferson is still on the board in round two, and our best targets at DT and OL are not, I'd pick him, and try to trade Washington for something.

2 ) I think safety will be picked in rounds 4-7. By this point, you're looking at sub-package players. We need depth / special teams play and a possible replacement for Edmunds, who has been a 1st round disappointment. I'll take a good zone cover guy with ball skills, but no reaching please.

3 ) Never heard of Huff. Looks like a productive college player who faced weak competition. What are his work out #'s?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ce-huff-1.html

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I shall take a gander. I do believe that he also had a good showing during the Senior Bowl practices.

Oh... Pittman and Jefferson have NFL bloodlines (which is something that the Steelers love).
    I'm a Jefferson fan. Great hands, good size, and just knows how to play. Clutch. Timed at 4.43, which is very good speed for man his size. Jefferson tore up the SEC. 11 catches, 11,540 yards, 13.9 per catch, 18 touchdown.

The Steelers WRs had way too many dropped passes and fumbles last season. Maybe Jefferson is not Julio Jones on the outside, but he's a red zone weapon, and a slot weapon.

I'll bump this thread with some questions of my own.

1. If you are drafting a RB at 49 overall, Swift and Taylor are off the board, who are you drafting and why?

2. Apparently the Pats have offered Colbert a trade. They want pick 49 and in return the Steelers get 3 round 3 picks(87,98,&100) and a round 6 pick(unknown). Do you make the trade?

3. List your top3 WRs for this draft with what the Steelers need in mind.

4. Who is your best player in this draft for the Steelers?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

1. If you are drafting a RB at 49 overall, Swift and Taylor are off the board, who are you drafting and why?

2. Apparently the Pats have offered Colbert a trade. They want pick 49 and in return the Steelers get 3 round 3 picks(87,98,&100) and a round 6 pick(unknown). Do you make the trade?

For question 1, I take Taylor if Tomlin is able to correct his problems with fumbles, otherwise I prefer another

For the question number 2....I think it's a draft with a lot of depth, so trade down could be an option for the steelers but at the same time going back 38 spot is huge ... Too much, so I say no!

For questions 3 and 4, I don't know, so I would like to have other people's answers!

My mistake, I misread the question 1 ... I would also like to have the opinions of others on this question too!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    For question 1, I take Taylor if Tomlin is able to correct his problems with fumbles, otherwise I prefer another

For the question number 2....I think it's a draft with a lot of depth, so trade down could be an option for the steelers but at the same time going back 38 spot is huge ... Too much, so I say no!

For questions 3 and 4, I don't know, so I would like to have other people's answers!
    By the value chart the Steelers would be giving up 20pts in the trade. I would ask for the 7th round pick as well which drops it to a 4pt loss in value. Otherwise I would keep 49 overall as well.

WRs I like for the Steelers needs are in no particular order:
    Chase Claypool- 6'4"-225lbs A move TE with WR ability basically.
    Laviska Shenault-6'2"-220lbs A fast, strong WR that dominates CBs.
    Isaiah Coulter- 6'2"-200lbs A true "Z" type to keep safeties back and out of the box.

The player with the most Steelers quality in this draft, IMO is....Isaiah Simmons LB/SS/NB Clemson. The perfect partner for Bush and Fitz.

1. Cam Akers He seems like a Steeler.

2. I’d make the trade. I’d love to have four picks lumped together like that. You could really change R4 with that many picks lumped together. We could have our cake (the player that we want) and eat it too (trade down a few spots and pick up extra picks for the 2021 draft).

Heck, if someone want to trade one of the first few overall picks on Day 3... Combine that with our current won picks in R4, and we’d have 12 hours to do some more damage.

3. I’ll come back to that one.

4. Any player? Like even Chase Young??? Well, it would be Chase Young. Isaiah Simmons would be a great choice, as well, because we’d be set at ILB for a decade. I will say that getting the top LT in the draft would be a great thing, as well. (Since there is debate about who is the “top” LT, it seems to me that that would drop that down a peg. Because, Young and Simmons are the clear-cut best at their positions.)

One more: I will say that I’d think about adding Jeffery Okudah. Move Haden to safety, move Edmunds to SS/ILB. That would be a scary secondary...

I’d rank them in that order: Young, Simmons, Okudah, ... one of the LTs.

In round 2, if the talent is similar between his players, what position you would like the steelers to take in round 2 in order?

Like...QB,RB,WR,OL,TE,DL,OLB,ILB,CB,S?

In round 2, if the talent is similar between his players, what position you would like the steelers to take in round 2 in order?

Like...QB,RB,WR,OL,TE,DL,OLB,ILB,CB,S?
    I’m taking QB off of the list. It’s so much more different (and more valuable) than the other positions.

If the talent-level is the same, I gotta say:

OG
    OT
    ILB
    OLB
    SS/ILB (hybrid)
    SS
    RB
    DL
    TE
    WR
    FS

I’m taking QB off of the list. It’s so much more different (and more valuable) than the other positions.

If the talent-level is the same, I gotta say:

OG
    OT
    ILB
    OLB
    SS/ILB (hybrid)
    SS
    RB
    DL
    TE
    WR
    FS
    Thank for the answer,it will give me a better idea!….And I think the CB position is last too?

Thank for the answer,it will give me a better idea!….And I think the CB position is last too?
    Whoops. I forgot that one.

CB is tricky. We have a few good ones (for the first time in a long while), but you can never have too many CBs.

So, it could go anywhere from 4th to 10th.

Whoops. I forgot that one.

CB is tricky. We have a few good ones (for the first time in a long while), but you can never have too many CBs.

So, it could go anywhere from 4th to 10th.
    I believe that for the next season, the steelers have 4 good CB in their team, so it's not a need right now ... Also the steelers struggle so much with the CB in the draft but the fact that they signed 2 very good CB in free agency in the last few years with Haden and Nelson, the steelers should continue to go in free agency when they need a CB since they are much better to find a very good CB in free agency than in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I believe that for the next season, the steelers have 4 good CB in their team, so it's not a need right now ... Also the steelers struggle so much with the CB in the draft but the fact that they signed 2 very good CB in free agency in the last few years with Haden and Nelson, the steelers should continue to go in free agency when they need a CB since they are much better to find a very good CB in free agency than in the draft.
    Agreed. The Patriots do the same thing. Know your weaknesses. Though Sutton is coming along quite nicely, tough decision to make with him being a FA after the season.

Really hope Justin Layne develops. his first season went how I expected, a lot of talent to mold.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

1. JK Dobbins- he is the next best RB on the board.

2. I make the trade and select :
    87- Jonathan Greenard- Edge Florida
    98- Davon Hamilton- DT Ohio St
    100- Van Jefferson- WR Florida
    102- Adam Trautman- TE Dayton
    ………………………………………………………..I then look for an interior O lineman in the 4th and either a RB or Safety with the 2nd pick in the 4th.

3. Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb and Henry Ruggs. the 3 best WR in the draft.

4. Chase Young is the best player in the draft and his pass rushing ability would be instant improvement, so could rotate him, Watt, Dupree for the year until Dupree let walk in 2021.