Thread: NFL changes that I think would benefit the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

NFL changes that I think would benefit the Steelers

1 ) A 7 team playoff formant. The Steelers have missed the playoffs by narrow margin. In fact I think we would have been the 7th seed in 2018 and 2019.

2 ) An NFL Draft lottery. I believe it's coming, and I think it would be yet another exciting event for the NFL. It's unlikely the Steelers will ever get a top 3 pick in your life time. Put to you this way, the last time we had a top three pick was 50 years ago! However with an NFL lottery systems, similar to what the NBA and NHL has, with the top 12 teams getting at least one ping pong ball in the mixer, there is a chance to get lucky and move into the top three. The Steelers have gotten lucky before. They won the coin toss over the Bears, who were also going to select Terry Bradshaw.

3 ) Adding a senior Technology adviser / Video office to help the officiating crew. I seen too many blown calls that go agains the Steelers and took few gifted calls that go our way. Every fans might feel that way, but I do think the Steelers have had too many go against them. By adding such a person, things could get better.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: NFL changes that I think would benefit the Steelers

1. It's already done and it's a bad idea. It waters down the playoff field and ensures a mediocre team that doesn't belong in the playoff gets in allwhile robbing a 2 seed of a deserved and much needed rest. The steelers didn't deserve to be in the playoffs the last 2 years and no one outside of Chiefs fans and Steelers haters would want to see a playoff matchup of Devlin Hodges vs Patrick Mahomes.

2. No, I hate the draft lottery idea. Worst record should get first pick. "Bu bu but, tanking". NBA teams and NHL teams tank too, the draft lottery doesn't stop it. It only denies the 1st pick to teams that need it the most.

3. That may be better and helpful, but I think the biggest issue is Al Riveron and the Refs are bad at their jobs. Firing Riveron and poorly performing refs may solve the issues themselves

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Full. Time. Referees.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    1. It's already done and it's a bad idea. It waters down the playoff field and ensures a mediocre team that doesn't belong in the playoff gets in allwhile robbing a 2 seed of a deserved and much needed rest. The steelers didn't deserve to be in the playoffs the last 2 years and no one outside of Chiefs fans and Steelers haters would want to see a playoff matchup of Devlin Hodges vs Patrick Mahomes.

2. No, I hate the draft lottery idea. Worst record should get first pick. "Bu bu but, tanking". NBA teams and NHL teams tank too, the draft lottery doesn't stop it. It only denies the 1st pick to teams that need it the most.

3. That may be better and helpful, but I think the biggest issue is Al Riveron and the Refs are bad at their jobs. Firing Riveron and poorly performing refs may solve the issues themselves

I wasn't asking for personal opinion; I was saying what would help the Steelers. I prefer a 6 playoff team for conference format too, but 7 increases the Steelers chances.

As for tanking to get the top pick, I'm sure it happens by starting certain players. It's easier to tank in a 17 game season. Tanking an 82 game season, that's a bit harder to do.

Also the teams that play the tanking doormat later in the season get a pass. A draft lottery will help the Steelers chances. I think those against if might actually like it later on.

As for the officials, they suck. I think they are more concerned about looking good and following their procedure. This process often overrules correcting a call.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

With the “7 team playoff” the Steelers would have made the playoffs every season of Tomlin’s tenure.

I’m not saying I’m for it; I’m just clarifying a fact.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    As for tanking to get the top pick, I'm sure it happens by starting certain players. It's easier to tank in a 17 game season. Tanking an 82 game season, that's a bit harder to do.
    Tanking in the NFL is so overblown. The 2011 Colts are cited as an example, but they are the only example I ever remember and even then an argument can be they were partly that bad without Manning. All other times, teams got no. 1 picks simply because they had so little talent and/or they were so poorly coached. The 2019 Dolphins may have tried tanking but they still got 5 wins. That same time frame, the Sixers playing in the NBA (a draft lottery league) tanked by selling off assets to try and win the draft lottery and build for a future. The draft lottery doesn't really make a doesn't really make a difference, all it does it make money and possibly prevent teams that really need the first pick from getting it

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

While these things may very well benefit the Steelers don't mean I want them. I agree with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    With the “7 team playoff” the Steelers would have made the playoffs every season of Tomlin’s tenure.

I’m not saying I’m for it; I’m just clarifying a fact.
    Like I said changes that will help the Steelers. I am excited for next year. After two years of disappointing endings, we are going back to the playoffs. However a non playoff season with a bar this low, or a one and done making Tomlin 3-7 in his last ten playoffs games and its time for a change at head coach.

Tanking in the NFL is so overblown. The 2011 Colts are cited as an example, but they are the only example I ever remember and even then an argument can be they were partly that bad without Manning. All other times, teams got no. 1 picks simply because they had so little talent and/or they were so poorly coached. The 2019 Dolphins may have tried tanking but they still got 5 wins. That same time frame, the Sixers playing in the NBA (a draft lottery league) tanked by selling off assets to try and win the draft lottery and build for a future. The draft lottery doesn't really make a doesn't really make a difference, all it does it make money and possibly prevent teams that really need the first pick from getting it
    I live in South Florida. The Dolphins DID NOT try to tank. If they wanted the 1st pick, they play Josh Rosen who''s really bad, plain and simple. Fitzpatrick ( Who's 38 years old and not the future ) is decent, he won the team MVP and because of his play, some games. If Rosen played those game, Miami has the first overall pick. Word it they are trying to trade up for Joe Burrow.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I hate this new format playoffs

Yes, the steelers would have made the playoffs almost every year, but at the same time how many win playoffs the steelers would have won as the 7th seed? ... 2012,2013,2018 at Pats and 2019 for a matchup between the ducks and Patrick Mahomes ?!

No thanks!

Also, it would have disadvantaged the steelers in 1995,2008,2010 and 2017 when the steelers had been the seven seed. 3 of their teams were in the super bowl, so would that have changed if at this time the steelers would have no bye? ... Maybe not in the wild card round, but after that it would have been harder

My point is that a 12-4 team deserves more to be rewarded than a 8-8 or 9-7 team.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Every league that has expanded their playoffs has made gobs of money off of it. No way to put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Every league that has expanded their playoffs has made gobs of money off of it. No way to put that toothpaste back in the tube.
    Exactly but it also cannot be denied it will water down the sport.

It is all about the money for the owners these days they really don't care about the sport or the fans.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Of course this is why,but this is not good for the product.