Thread: Steelers FA Activity

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Steelers FA Activity

What’s your take on the signings (4 as of now)? Grade?

Which is your favorite signing?

On paper, are we better or worse based on the losses/additions?

Who else is out there that you think we have a chance on?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Steelers FA Activity

My favorite signing today is getting a tried and true vet OG. On paper we shouldn't lose anything even with Foster and Finney both gone. 2nd would probably be getting Ebron as a pass catching TE. Between him and McDonald we should be able to keep one of them on the field for every game. I still would like to see a SS or a NB brought in. My biggest hope is for Vonn Bell.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

As of now:
    Wisnewski, A: Steelers needed 2 things at the o-line. Proven veteran players in free agency and technically sound polished o-lineman in the draft. The Steelers got a proven vet in free agency, and I like it. Good move to provide much needed depth

Derek Watt, A: I don't know much about Watt the player but it seems like it is good special teams and using a FB can open up options for them

Wormley, B: Depth signing and all they needed to do was trade down 2 rounds which sweetens the move

Ebron, C+: Unreliable, seemed to really only have one rock solid season as a pro, drop issues, may need Ben playing at a high level for him simply to do well. Not graded lower because he is only for $6 mil for 2 years and he is an upgrade at least over Vannett.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here’s my thoughts:

Watt: A
    Kills two birds with one stone. Watt replaces Big Red on special teams and gives us a reliable FB. I loved Rosie, but he couldn’t stay healthy.

Wisniewski: A+
    Chiefs fans are sad that he left (they’re kind of pissed actually). Eagles fans are applauding this move. When other teams cheer on a player like that... it’s a good sign. He’s a slight upgrade over Foster (who I loved, but was aging quickly). It’s a stop-gap for $1.25 million/season. THAT is how you plug a hole.

Wormley: B
    Atear before the draft, he was a R1 lock. Then, a heart condition dropped him. The Ravens thought that they hit a steal, but he was “okay”. Who knows what kind of player he’ll be with the Steelers. Risk/reward: it’s worth a R5 pick. Plus, this is exactly how the Ravens & Taperiots have amassed comp picks: trade a R5 pick for a player, hope he plays well, then let him leave and recoup a R4 pick. I would have given this move an A++ if they had traded a R5 pick for Calais Campbell. Wow!!!... what a steal that was for the Ravens.

Ebron:
    It all depends on which player shows up. The 13 TD guy is an A... the other five seasons would be an F.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like all of it really. I'm concerned that they spent too much on Watt though, and Wormley only has one year left on his contract. Ebron is boom or bust, but sometimes you have to roll the dice -- no risk it no biscuit. Wis seems to be the smartest and surest of all four.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

For the cap station they were in they have done a very good job and filled holes that were on the roster.

I'm liking the Wormley trade more and more tbh. Hopefully they can add a NT like Poe, Woods or maybe Damon Harrison, though it's possible Alualu could handle the NT spot for 25% of the time they use the position. The D-line looks to be in great shape

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think we can quibble over the specific players selected, but the overall approach is pretty Colbert Off-season Plan standard operating procedure. Root and loot in the bargain end of free agency and try and catch some depth or take a chance on a mid 20's player that may "blossom". Goal is to enter the draft without an obvious glaring hole that would be fatal if the season started that day. Then the team can work their draft board to improve on the roster rather than do emergency surgery on it.

I have a different list of FAs and priorities I would have tackled, but there is almost certainly a reason I do not get paid by an NFL team to do this!