Thread: Ben Roethlisberger:"I'm throwing without pain for the first time in years"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger:"I'm throwing without pain for the first time in years"

Ben Roethlisberger: "I'm throwing without pain for the first time in years"

Jeff Hartman

The Pittsburgh Steelers and their vast fan base were set abuzz just about one month ago when the Steelers released a video of Ben Roethlisberger throwing a football.
    One throw.Didn’t matter.
    The fan base was pumped to see No. 7, the man who they hope can bring them Super Bowl No. 7, back to throwing the ball around the gridiron again. But since that video was published on every social media platform, there hasn’t been any news of Roethlisberger’s recovery/rehabilitation.
    Sure, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported things were on schedule, and General Manager Kevin Colbert said Roethlisberger might be better than he was before, but he didn’t elaborate on that claim other than Roethlisberger having a year to sit and rest.
    On Friday, Roethlisberger spoke with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Ron Cook and talked about his recovery, how he is throwing without pain for the first time in years and even how he feels the pressure of his return.
    “I have no doubts I’m going to be able to come back and play well — none,” Roethlisberger told Cook. “I have complete confidence in that. I’m throwing without pain for the first time in years. Some games, I would have a little pain. Some games, I would have a lot of pain. But in the New England game and the Seattle game [last season], it got to be too much. To be able to throw without pain now? That feels nice. That’s a nice feeling. I know I’m not getting any younger, but I feel younger because I don’t have any pain.”

Read the rest here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...rs/ar-BB11t60I

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger:"I'm throwing without pain for the first time in years"

This confirms some of what I have suspected since the injury. Two things to remember:
    1. Ben R mysteriously got all scatter-shot and bad at throwing deep. Like it was there one year and gone the next.
    2. At the time there was unattributed sources claiming Ben R had been hurting for a long time. I think there was even talk that the team would be sanctioned for IR status shenanigans.

I think his elbow has been messed up for 2+ seasons. There is a chance that he returns to about 2017 vintage Roethlisberger. So highly accurate AND deeper completions? Sure. That will work just fine. Even if his legs go and he gets even more statue like back there...that can work.

I think the Ben R doom and gloom was always a bit premature. Reasonable and possible, but I think he puts together a top 10 season in 2020 as long as the line holds up.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This confirms some of what I have suspected since the injury. Two things to remember:
    1. Ben R mysteriously got all scatter-shot and bad at throwing deep. Like it was there one year and gone the next.
    2. At the time there was unattributed sources claiming Ben R had been hurting for a long time. I think there was even talk that the team would be sanctioned for IR status shenanigans.

I think his elbow has been messed up for 2+ seasons. There is a chance that he returns to about 2017 vintage Roethlisberger. So highly accurate AND deeper completions? Sure. That will work just fine. Even if his legs go and he gets even more statue like back there...that can work.

I think the Ben R doom and gloom was always a bit premature. Reasonable and possible, but I think he puts together a top 10 season in 2020 as long as the line holds up.

He obviously hasn't shown anything yet, but it is great to hear. It's about the best news we could possibly hear considering what the situation was.

I agree that he was probably having issues for years. That's how it is with arm issues much of the time.

If he maintains his arm strength or it gets even stronger than before the surgery, there is a very good chance he is going to be able to challenge every area of the field, and should be able to be more consistent with a better deep ball. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

He's no spring chicken, so we need to see him actually do it. He still may not be 100% at the start of the season, but it sounds like there's a chance.

If he is anywhere near 2017 Ben, the Super Bowl window is officially wide open....contrary to what some have been saying for years now.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This is such great news, that it deserves two threads.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This is such great news, that it deserves two threads.
    lol. I created the thread but forgot to click submit, when I did this thread was already created.

But yes, it's worthy of 2 threads. Just great news if true.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Do we get Yukon Ben or Drink Like a Champion Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    lol. I created the thread but forgot to click submit, when I did this thread was already created.

But yes, it's worthy of 2 threads. Just great news if true.

You snooze...you lose!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You snooze...you lose!
    I shall never create another thread.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I'm dreaming big and hoping Ben gets NFL Comeback player of the year, and Super Bowl MVP.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I'm dreaming big and hoping Ben gets NFL Comeback player of the year, and Super Bowl MVP.
    I'm dreaming big and hope Ben can shave off that skunk off his chin. That thing is thicker than any of Keisel's.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'm dreaming big and hope Ben can shave off that skunk off his chin. That thing is thicker than any of Keisel's.
    Ben posted a PSA asking fans to stay inside. All I heard was:

Beard, beard, beardy beard-beard, bbbbeard, BEARD!!!

“Beard, beard, beardy beard-beard, bbbbeard, BEARD!!!”
    Exactly what I was referring to lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

That beard is a mess. I work with a RBSC(Real Bearded Santa Clause) and his stays long and bushy but more tame than that thing on Ben's face. I love the side by side pic of quarantined Ben and the 30 days one has a bird in the beard. LOL!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

And he says he's in great shape!!! Pictures do lie.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And he says he's in great shape!!! Pictures do lie.
    A bad camera angle can add 50 pounds to anyone's photo

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

As someone who has played sports and had some shoulder issues, I know how huge it is to not have any arm pain. When you are throwing the ball and experience some kind of pain, it really has a bad affect on everything.

You can lose accuracy. You lose mph on the ball. You can develop bad mechanics by trying to compensate for the pain or to try to create power in some other way.

To really be able to throw naturally and easily with no pain will make an incredible difference for him mentally and physically. We just need to hope he stays pain free and his arm strength increases and his work load on the arm increases.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

These are reasons like that why Tomlin gave some day off in practices and training camp in the last couple years.

I don't know how Ben is going to be in 2020, maybe it's going to be a work and progress because of rust, but afterwards he's going to be much better.Good news is that our defense has great potential,so it will help the offense.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He better hope he doesn't need a respirator while having that thing.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Beard, beard, beardy beard-beard, bbbbeard, BEARD!!!
    lol.... sort of like the tide commercial with the talking stain

https://youtu.be/X2cs8gnb42A

If Ben plays well this year, he may be able to play well and want to play for another 3-4 years.

It's going to be an interesting year to see how things unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If Ben plays well this year, he may be able to play well and want to play for another 3-4 years.

It's going to be an interesting year to see how things unfold.
    At this point I think we have to take one year at the time but I think Ben will play as long as he is able to play at a good level.2020 will be important too,he needs to stay healthy and to have a step back!...With a good year he will win the comeback player of the year.