Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers acquire Chris Wormley from the Ratbirds

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers acquire Chris Wormley from the Ratbirds

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This ^^^ .

I’ve been saying the same. If the Steelers are going to continue the 2-5 scheme (which there’s no reason they shouldn’t with how successful they were), there’s no need to replace Hargrave. Wormley will fit into the rotation and the rotation/combination or Heyward, Alualu, Biggs, Wormley, Tuitt will be fine. In essence, Hargrave has already been upgraded with the return of Tuitt.
    My exact thoughts through your keyboard.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My exact thoughts through your keyboard.
    1st down and 10 or 2nd and 4....do you use an alignment with only 2 Defensive linemen?

Also, if somebody could explain this 2-5 that is being discussed, it would be appreciated. I saw alignments with 2 down linemen, 2 OLB, 2 ILB and 5 Defensive backs quite often and I would consider that a 2-4 defense. Just not sure what exactly this 2-5 is.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    1st down and 10 or 2nd and 4....do you use an alignment with only 2 Defensive linemen?

Also, if somebody could explain this 2-5 that is being discussed, it would be appreciated. I saw alignments with 2 down linemen, 2 OLB, 2 ILB and 5 Defensive backs quite often and I would consider that a 2-4 defense. Just not sure what exactly this 2-5 is.
    In a 2-4-5 as you describe often the NB is playing a LB over a DB role. Yes it's both so both a 2-4 and a 2-5 are correct as well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    In a 2-4-5 as you describe often the NB is playing a LB over a DB role. Yes it's both so both a 2-4 and a 2-5 are correct as well.
    OK, IMO, when an offense puts out 3WR on the line or flexes out a TE in pattern and there are 3 CB (Haden, Nelson, Hilton) and plays 2 Safeties, that is nickel, like its been for 40 years. This mention of 2-5 is confusing me. Thanks.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So that would be the basic split out of snaps/duties between Hilton and Sutton? I can't back this up, but I feel like over the course of last season it started to be that when they wanted the 5th DB to play more towards the line of scrimmage that was the package with Hilton in it. Obvious passing downs, Sutton. I could be wrong.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So that would be the basic split out of snaps/duties between Hilton and Sutton? I can't back this up, but I feel like over the course of last season it started to be that when they wanted the 5th DB to play more towards the line of scrimmage that was the package with Hilton in it. Obvious passing downs, Sutton. I could be wrong.
    All I'm saying is if you call it a 2-4 or 2-5 both can be correct. If the NB is playing the middle in the box in a LB role it is technically a 2-5 alignment. Yes he can drop into coverage or blitz or play the middle zone or backup a blitzing ILB or etc....If the NB is only considered as a DB then yes 2-4 alignment is technically correct. Seriously though since the Steelers are known as a base 3-4 do they become a 4-3/4-2 when they play 2 DL and 2 OLBs all on the LOS? The pre-snap alignment can show one and be another after the snap. So was it actually both? I feel like this is just a boredom debate and really not that big of an issue.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This ^^^ .

I’ve been saying the same. If the Steelers are going to continue the 2-5 scheme (which there’s no reason they shouldn’t with how successful they were), there’s no need to replace Hargrave. Wormley will fit into the rotation and the rotation/combination or Heyward, Alualu, Biggs, Wormley, Tuitt will be fine. In essence, Hargrave has already been upgraded with the return of Tuitt.
    as long as Tuitt can remain healthy, of course. and that is a big IF...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Trading within the division? Wow.

They have so much D line talent in Baltimore that I guess whoever came knocking they were fine with getting something for him.
    No longer as much DL talent as the Ravens thought they had when they made the trade

Defensive lineman Michael Brockers is returning to the Rams on a three-year deal worth up to $31.5 million, according to the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Baltimore originally signed Brockers to a three-year deal on March 18. But the contract fell through after further medical examination of his ankle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/27/mi...ravens-dispute

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No longer as much DL talent as the Ravens thought they had when they made the trade

Defensive lineman Michael Brockers is returning to the Rams on a three-year deal worth up to $31.5 million, according to the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Baltimore originally signed Brockers to a three-year deal on March 18. But the contract fell through after further medical examination of his ankle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/27/mi...ravens-dispute
    Ravens fans’ reactions are basically:
    Ozzie would never have let this happen...”