Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Ebron at TE

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Eric Ebron at TE

Decent signing. Upside for the passing game. McDonald was not reliable. 2 years, $12M.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Eric Ebron at TE

Not a bad signing at all as long as his hands that he had with the Colts come with him. If he tries his hands that he had with the Lions, not good...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

What 86 said. When he's on, he's a legit #1 TE. When he's not he's McDonald.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 03-21-2020 at 11:03 AM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Was 86 said. When he's on, he's a legit #1 TE. When he's not he's McDonald.
    Which isn’t a terrible thing...lol

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

How is his blocking?

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I like to signing but, like mentioned above which version are we getting?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    How is his blocking?
    I don’t think it’s very good if I remember correctly. He’s a receiving guy.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    I like to signing but, like mentioned above which version are we getting?
    Keep in mind that 2 years ago, he had Andrew Luck throwing to him. Last year? Jacoby Brissett. Big difference. He's still just 26. With a hopefully rejuvenated Ben, Ebron "should" fare quite well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

BINGO he is not an inline TE he is a move TE his blocking consists of ohh excuse me didn't realize you needed through
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Thanks.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Hopefully he has a similar season like he did two years ago with Luck as QB. Recorded 13 TD's and 750 yards receiving on 13 TD's.

He will have drops though.

I think this rules out TE in the draft, though they may still like someone like Kmet since he fits the mold of a Steelers TE.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This guy is simply awful at being a TE. If they wanted to sign a former Lion, either of the DTs would've been much preferred.

This dude drops passes on a Moncrief level and is an atrocious blocker

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This guy is simply awful at being a TE. If they wanted to sign a former Lion, either of the DTs would've been much preferred.

He's a Madden superstar though.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

In b4 shoes

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ok. So after my initial vomit burp got choked back...I can see why you do this. He's big, he's fast, and he's young. With all his flaws, Ebron will be better in 2020 than any rookie TE you are going to land.

So now, you enter draft day without absolutely having to grab a TE.

Hopefully, Ebron will be a bridge to a longer term solution at the position.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Its an upgrade, so I'll take it. Also, I think he has a chance to have a good season if Ben is throwing him the football, but still recall that Ebron had a drop rate that wasnt impressive.

Eric Ebron at TE

Without looking, I think his drops were much, much less with the Colts than with the Lions. I think they were still on the higher side though. But this certainly does feel like a “Moncrief-type conversation”.

One of Switzers college teammates...does that help?!?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Some Eric Ebron stats and info:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...E/EbroEr00.htm

Injury history and predictions site:
    https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...ric-ebron/6941

Compare with Vance McDonald stats:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/McDoVa00.htm

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...-mcdonald/6717

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

The signing fits what Colbert has done in recent years, which is to plugin gaping holes prior to the draft so that they are not forced to draft a certain position. They then have options to take the best player available across several positions.

A 5 receiver/TE set with JuJu, Diontae, James Washington, Ebron, and Vance McDonald sounds pretty good on paper.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Some Eric Ebron stats and info:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...E/EbroEr00.htm

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...ric-ebron/6941

Compare with Vance McDonald stats:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/McDoVa00.htm

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...-mcdonald/6717
    Thanks for the comparisons. So Ebron has more yards per game, 12 more TD catches than McDonald in 1 fewer season and Ebron has 173 catches for first down, while McDonald has 88. Looks like Ebron is a better option on 3rd down and the red zone, as well as a better receiving TE. Good pickup.

Without looking, I think his drops were much, much less with the Colts than with the Lions. I think they were still on the higher side though. But this certainly does feel like a “Moncrief-type conversation”.

Yeah. Like I said, initial reaction was likely overly negative. Ebron is fine. And fine is okay. As long as his deal is similar to Chickillo, Burnett, Barron, Moncrief, etc. where the team can easily cut him if this one year trial doesn't work out - then I really have no reason to complain.

Dude is only 27 years old. Is more explosive than many in the 2020 draft class (https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/eric-ebron). So I can totally see the logic and reason here. Plus looking at this list (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/) based on the TEs that have signed, the got him for the lower end of the going rates.

And don't get me all wound up on Ryan "Completely Useless at the NFL Level and Waste of a Roster Spot" Switzer.

No.

Yeah. Like I said, initial reaction was likely overly negative. Ebron is fine. And fine is okay. As long as his deal is similar to Chickillo, Burnett, Barron, Moncrief, etc. where the team can easily cut him if this one year trial doesn't work out - then I really have no reason to complain.

Dude is only 27 years old. Is more explosive than many in the 2020 draft class (https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/eric-ebron). So I can totally see the logic and reason here. Plus looking at this list (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/) based on the TEs that have signed, the got him for the lower end of the going rates.

And don't get me all wound up on Ryan "Completely Useless at the NFL Level and Waste of a Roster Spot" Switzer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    No.
    On second thought, it does help. But there needs to be a few rule changes first. Since everything is on hold, they can get this done.

1. Switzer and Ebron only count as one roster spot.
    2. Ebron is allowed to have Switzer ride on his back and he can throw Switzer at defensive players.

This should improve Ebron's blocking capabilities and allow Switzer to contribute something to the team. It is either that or transplant Switzer's hands onto Ebron's arms.

Must note that Moncrief didn't have the best hands but most of the drops were due to his finger being broken which happened during camp.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

2 years $12 million

He better have the hands that he had in Indy; otherwise, for that much money...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Ben likes running the 4-5 wide, so having a receiving TE is better for this offense IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    2 years $12 million

He better have the hands that he had in Indy; otherwise, for that much money...
    With the $5.5 Million that McDonald will be averaging in 2019 and 2020, I would say its likely a bargain in comparison. The 16 TD receptions that Ebron has the last 2 seasons are more than McDonald has had in his career.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    With the $5.5 Million that McDonald will be averaging in 2019 and 2020, I would say its likely a bargain in comparison. The 16 TD receptions that Ebron has the last 2 seasons are more than McDonald has had in his career.
    I guess my question is: why both???

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think Ebron will be much more productive in the passing game than McDonald has been by a considerable margin. He is a guy that can get open. I think he will be a very good target for Ben.

I still long for having a complete tight end that is a good receiver, but can also hold up with some inline blocking, and throwing around smaller guys outside the tackles and downfield. I guess we'll still have to wait to get one of those guys.

Overall, I really like what Colbert has done to fill holes in the roster. As someone else mentioned, filling these spots with quality players before the draft really allows them to draft the best available player, or target a few players that they really have high at positions of need.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I guess my question is: why both???

This team has always done well when they had more than one good TE. The ability to play more 2-TE sets also helps the running game, and both players are a threat in the passing game. Sprinkle in a little more play action passing, and defenses will be on their heels a little more and the running game and passing game will be more effective IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Filling the roster holes with cheaper FAs makes Colbert a genius on those that work out and keeps other teams from easily guessing which prospects are being targeted in the draft. The ones that don't work out are a small cost over the long term.