Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eric Ebron at TE

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Eric Ebron at TE

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Spotty personality, Inconsistent health, Not a reliable catcher, could be great but not consistent. As if we didn't have that already with McDonald (minus the personality part). I give him two games before this board turns on him.

Letting Jesse James go in hindsight was a horrible mistake.
    No, drafting Josh Dobbs over George Kittle was a horrible mistake.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No, drafting Josh Dobbs over George Kittle was a horrible mistake.
    Yup. But letting Jesse James go is never a mistake. Got benched in Detroit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/detroit...ames-bust/amp/

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yup. But letting Jesse James go is never a mistake. Got benched in Detroit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/detroit...ames-bust/amp/
    I never was a JJ fan.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I never was a JJ fan.
    At least he wasn't always injured. And that was still a touchdown.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Definitely a TD!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Or he could have just secured the ball so the refs wouldn’t be involved. Don’t extend it if you don’t have the hands to hold it. Jesse was absolutely NOT worth what Detroit paid for him.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So. Would anyone have traded James for Ebron two off-seasons ago? It’s basically what happened.

A case can be made for either side.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

So. Would anyone have traded James for Ebron two off-seasons ago? It’s basically what happened.

A case can be made for either side.
    I would take Ebron. On the surface I would say he has more big play potential but JJ averaged quite a bit more per catch than he did comparing 2018 seasons. Ebron drops a couple more as well. But we haven't seen 13 TD's from a TE in forever. I think he gets more separation and if Ben can still extend plays at his age then Ebron should benefit. I like the pick up. Vance has flashes of being great but not enough, probably not drafting a stud TE to come in and start so its a great gamble IMO. Had Luck stuck around I don't think Ebron comes this cheap, or even comes around at all. JJ is a great back up TE, Ebron should be a solid starter.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ebron could be for Ben what Graham was for Brees. A short term red zone mismatch weapon. Let's Go!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ebron is a funny follow on Twitter. Not many players have a sense of humor; it’s why I only follow Ramon Foster and Bince.

Here’s the difference between The Outlaw and Ebron. The Outlaw’s ceiling and his floor are almost identical: he is what he is. Ebron has a ceiling that is very high... which he may never reach. But, at worst, defenses have to respect Ebron’s speed & athleticism. Yea, yea, yea... we need more than a decoy. Yet, if Ebron can move the MLB down the field, it gives JuJu plenty of room across the middle.

"Ebron had a doctor in Texas perform his physical due to current coronavirus pandemic issues that prevented him from traveling to Pittsburgh to have it done by the team’s physicians."

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/ne...t-100-percent/

Boy howdy! It sounds like one right out of Ladarius Green's playbook.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ebron is a funny follow on Twitter. Not many players have a sense of humor; it’s why I only follow Ramon Foster and Bince.

Here’s the difference between The Outlaw and Ebron. The Outlaw’s ceiling and his floor are almost identical: he is what he is. Ebron has a ceiling that is very high... which he may never reach. But, at worst, defenses have to respect Ebron’s speed & athleticism. Yea, yea, yea... we need more than a decoy. Yet, if Ebron can move the MLB down the field, it gives JuJu plenty of room across the middle.
    : Bince !!!!!
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Letting Jesse James go was not a mistake.Of course I would love to have Kittle in a steelers uniform but 32 teams did not pick Kittle in the first 4 rounds,so….

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Jesse James is not even close to be good as Ebron...I just see the stats,James had 142 yards on 16 catch in only 27 targets in 2019..Outside of the 2018 season,James had never 10 yards per catch.Ebron has 4 seasons with at least 11 yards per catch in 6 seasons,so this is not even close.

This is a good video

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Jesse James is not even close to be good as Ebron...I just see the stats,James had 142 yards on 16 catch in only 27 targets in 2019..Outside of the 2018 season,James had never 10 yards per catch.Ebron has 4 seasons with at least 11 yards per catch in 6 seasons,so this is not even close.
    as a weapon , no James doesn't come close that said ... but in terms of reliability James marks are higher , as for availability James marks are higher and as a blocker James again is superior

so as I see it ... James is a more complete player , he can do more for you and him being on the field isnt a give away to your intent on offense and while James isnt the best blocker in the world he isnt a complete liability either ...

but it isnt that simple on " who would I rather have" because both can help your football team ....

I wont give much credence to James stats in Detroit because I know what he can do with Ben and he performed as well as Vance did here ..

as For Ebron we just do not know yet ....

what I do know is we had a generic version of Ebron ( cheaper ) a guy not known for blocking and a mismatch vs LB'ers and Safeties and he looked really good in camp in 2018 and I thought he was going to make the leap , but he screwed up and was released and as far as I know hasnt caught on anyplace else (Bucky Hodges)

we shall see how Ebron works out he has a skill set that is interesting ( if he can limit the drops )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I am not sure how Ebron will work out. But I just don't understand how anyone can defend Jesse James as a viable NFL player. He isn't. Like he shouldn't be on a roster.

Last season, Detroit paid him over $6 million dollars and he was quickly and easily passed on the depth chart by a rookie (albeit a prized one) and a converted Qb who bounces around the league. For whatever it may be worth, PFF ranked his run blocking LOWER than what the score would be for a guy simply standing still.

Swapping out Ebron for James at essentially roughly the same cost -- is just a straight up coup. Sure, Ebron doesn't and can't really block. But neither can Jesse James. So a "push" there. And Ebron is such a superior route runner and open field athlete, that it isn't even close.

The biggest concern is injuries and drops. That's a roll of the dice with almost any FA. These guys weren't resigned by their current teams for a reason. But with Jesse James, there is no room for improvement. With Ebron, you could get double digit touchdowns and a guy that pulls defenders to the middle of the field making it easier for Washington/JUJU/DJ to make plays outside.

I am not sure how Ebron will work out. But I just don't understand how anyone can defend Jesse James as a viable NFL player. He isn't. Like he shouldn't be on a roster.

Last season, Detroit paid him over $6 million dollars and he was quickly and easily passed on the depth chart by a rookie (albeit a prized one) and a converted Qb who bounces around the league. For whatever it may be worth, PFF ranked his run blocking LOWER than what the score would be for a guy simply standing still.

Swapping out Ebron for James at essentially roughly the same cost -- is just a straight up coup. Sure, Ebron doesn't and can't really block. But neither can Jesse James. So a "push" there. And Ebron is such a superior route runner and open field athlete, that it isn't even close.

The biggest concern is injuries and drops. That's a roll of the dice with almost any FA. These guys weren't resigned by their current teams for a reason. But with Jesse James, there is no room for improvement. With Ebron, you could get double digit touchdowns and a guy that pulls defenders to the middle of the field making it easier for Washington/JUJU/DJ to make plays outside.
    The other thing is that as we can see in the yards per catch,James was way too slow and not a playmaker.Ebron could be a playmaker for the steelers.Of course Ebron must be used very well.

Bad team like the Lions paid Jesse James only because of his stats and his 2018 season but they probably never watched the tape of this player!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Interesting that The Outlaw’s “off” season was due to the QB in Detroit... because, that is exactly where Ebron played for four seasons. Going by stats...

DETROIT
    The Outlaw: 16 for 142, 0 TD
    Ebron’s worst season (rookie): 25 for 249, 1 TD

The following years, Ebron never fell below 525 receiving yards. Whereas, The Outlaw’s best season ever (even with Ben as his QB) was not quite 425 receiving yards.

WITH LUCK
    Ebron: 66 for 750, 13 TDs

Interesting that The Outlaw’s “off” season was due to the QB in Detroit... because, that is exactly where Ebron played for four seasons. Going by stats...

DETROIT
    The Outlaw: 16 for 142, 0 TD
    Ebron’s worst season (rookie): 25 for 249, 1 TD

The following years, Ebron never fell below 525 receiving yards. Whereas, The Outlaw’s best season ever (even with Ben as his QB) was not quite 425 receiving yards.

WITH LUCK
    Ebron: 66 for 750, 13 TDs
    James had only played 9 games with Stafford but he had only 9 catchs in his 9 games and his best game with Stafford was 18 yards!

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gamelog/2019/

We need a TE which is not just a product of the talented players around them and I have hope Ebron will be good no matter what ... I don't expect 13 TD like in 2018, since I think it's his year career but over 600-700 yards and 7-8 TD I'll be happy especially if he is consistant

Is Ebron an upgrade from Jesse James? Is Ebron an upgrade from Vannett? Look at that, the Steelers did something positive with the TE position. Are they done improving the TE position? Time will tell but I really don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    We need a TE which is not just a product of the talented players around them and I have hope Ebron will be good no matter what ... I don't expect 13 TD like in 2018, since I think it's his year career but over 600-700 yards and 7-8 TD I'll be happy especially if he is consistant
    Ebron consistently gets 45-65 for 500-700 yards.
    His TDs fluctuate between 1-5... to 13.

I could see 55 for 750, 8 TDs.

And to continue with James...He had 198 yards in the first 2 games in 2018 after 2 of his 3 best games of his career(138 yards and 60 yards) but after his production had been the same that 2016 and 2017.So no way that to not sign Jesse James for 6-7 millions per year was a horrible mistake by the steelers...Nothing against him but this is more a horrible mistake by the Lions.

- - - Updated - - -

Ebron consistently gets 45-65 for 500-700 yards.
    His TDs fluctuate between 1-5... to 13.

I could see 55 for 750, 8 TDs.
    I will take that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Is Ebron an upgrade from Jesse James? Is Ebron an upgrade from Vannett? Look at that, the Steelers did something positive with the TE position. Are they done improving the TE position? Time will tell but I really don't think so.
    And if we look at the market,the price was not very high!

34 years old Jimmy Graham had 8 millions per year in Chicago for 2 years and 4 millions for one year for 38 years old Jason Witten

If we look at the market for the TE look at that and I expect that it will be higher soon with Kittle and others

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/tight-end/

Roethlisberger On Addition Of Ebron: ‘I’d Like To Do Some Stuff With Him On The Outside’

On Wednesday, Roethlisberger was a guest on DVE Radio and during the interview he was asked if he’s excited about now having Ebron in the fold.
    “I am,” Roethlisberger said. “I’m excited for what he could potentially bring to us and opposite Vance [McDonald] and kinda, you know, stretch the middle of the field. “I’d like to do some stuff with him on the outside and maybe get some matchup opportunities that are favorable to us. So, I can’t wait to get to work with him.”

read more
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/ro...n-the-outside/