Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Ebron at TE

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Eric Ebron at TE

FWIW
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I give that no stock at this juncture because we have no idea how davis plays in 2020 ... he could become a 3rd round comp , 4th ,5th ,6th or no comp at all . his salary is only part of the equation
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Did they cut McDonald? Well buys the Steelers more time until Heath Miller's son hits the draft.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    FWIW
    What about Hargrave leaving? That should still give us a high compensatory pick, right?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Eric Ebron has had issues with reliability in his career, and he seems to only do good with an elite QB. However, he is an upgrade over Vannett and it is $6 mil which sweetens the signing. However, Ben will really need to turn in to form though

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Bill Barnwell at ESPN likes the signing

Grade: B+

Drops have been a problem for Ebron in the past, which might bring back ugly memories of Donte Moncrief's disastrous September with the Steelers, but if Ebron was consistently healthy and didn't have the occasional drop, he would be looking at Austin Hooper money.

This is a good risk/reward opportunity for the Steelers, and it's shocking that tight end-needy teams like the Patriots didn't compete here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...g-signing-move

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Did they cut McDonald? Well buys the Steelers more time until Heath Miller's son hits the draft.

Vance's contract was restructured

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Vance's contract was restructured
    Yes, I do remember that now. Now we will have two injured TE's on the bench.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    What about Hargrave leaving? That should still give us a high compensatory pick, right?
    Projected to be a 4th round pick.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Yes, I do remember that now. Now we will have two injured TE's on the bench.
    1. I don’t think Ebron is injury-prone. He’s just had intermittent hands.

2. Interestingly, outside of the O-line, Vance had the most snaps of any player on offense. In fact, the only snaps he missed were when his number wasn’t called (not in the alignment).

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I dunno about this one. Ebron has a difficult personality to deal with, iffy hands and is somewhat injury prone. Last year he very average. He had one really good season, that's it. Not a blocker. We'll see.

Two years, 12 million.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I personally see this guy as Ladarius Green 2.0.

Steelers and Free Agent TE's haven't been the best thing as of late.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Again, I don’t see Ebron as being injury-prone. Am I missing something???

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Eric Ebron = NFL caliber TE with a high floor and a high ceiling if he can stay healthy. His injuries have been ankles, knees, hamstrings all pulls and sprains/strains. Not an in-line player but he's a huge weapon for Ben. This is not a bad signing if he can pass his physical and better than what was on the roster. I like it, don't love it yet, but I do like it.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Steelers and Free Agent TE's haven't been the best thing as of late.
    The very brief time that Green was able to play with Ben without having his brains totally scrambled was pretty good. If Ebron's aren't scrambled eggs, he and Ben should develop a pretty good rapport. Stafford and the scheme in Detroit didn't do Ebron any favors. Once he had a competent QB in Luck, he had a career year. Jacoby brissett and Brian Hoyer didn't do him any favors last year either.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Again, I don’t see Ebron as being injury-prone. Am I missing something???
    He is a bit it looks like. Missed 8 games in his first 3 seasons to mostly hamstring and ankle issues. Was put on the injury list last season in week 9 due to ankle issues and eventually placed on season ending IR and had ankle surgery.

Ladarius Green had 1300 yards receiving and 8 TD in 5 seasons. Ebron has over 3100 yards, 27 TD in 6 seasons. IMO, there is no reason to compare the 2 other than pessimism.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Eric Ebron at TE

One thing you also need to take into consideration when talking about Enron’s Numbers last season was the emergence of Jack Doyle from the 2018 season to 2019 season. Doyle went from 6 games to 16 games and 30-something targets to 70-something targets. They both also went from Andrew Luck to Jacoby Brissett.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Tyler Eifert signing for 2 years 15 million w/Jacksonville. Talk about injury prone.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Who knows if this is sour grapes from the Colts or not

Colts let Eric Ebron go because they felt like he 'quit on them' in 2019, per report

"I'm sure the Steelers did their due diligence, but the reason the Colts let him go is because they felt he quit on them this season," [The Athletic's Bob] Kravitz said. "He had, I think it was an ankle, that the team wasn't even aware was an issue and then all of the sudden he said, 'That's it, I'm shutting it down.' I remember asking Chris Ballard the GM, 'What are you going to do with Eric Ebron?' and he looked me straight in the eye and said, 'Yeah, we're done with him. We're moving on.'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...19-per-report/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Colts let Eric Ebron go because they felt like he 'quit on them' in 2019, per report

"I'm sure the Steelers did their due diligence, but the reason the Colts let him go is because they felt he quit on them this season," [The Athletic's Bob] Kravitz said. "He had, I think it was an ankle, that the team wasn't even aware was an issue and then all of the sudden he said, 'That's it, I'm shutting it down.' I remember asking Chris Ballard the GM, 'What are you going to do with Eric Ebron?' and he looked me straight in the eye and said, 'Yeah, we're done with him. We're moving on.'

Isn't this the same franchise that helped assist Andrew Luck into quitting football? I believe there has been some turnover in the upper levels of the franchise since then...but still....

I have a good buddy who is a massive Lions fan. Says Ebron will drive you nuts. Capable of making game altering catches and game altering drops as well. Says don't ask him to run block in-line. Also says Ebron running free up the middle of the field can be a thing of beauty. Also was of the opinion that Ebron hadn't been drafted as high as he was, he wouldn't be viewed as negatively by Lions fans. So he said for a cheap(ish) FA signing you could do far far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

That's what they said when picking up the 20 million dollar man Ladarius Green.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

By Jacob Klinger | jklinger@pennlive.com

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers effectively signed Eric Ebron to a 1+1 contract, reported details of the deal confirmed Friday reveal.

Ebron’s contract pays him $1 million in base salary this year with a $5 million signings bonus. In 2021 he would earn a $5.5 million salary and get paid a $500,000 if he’s on the roster on the fifth day of the league year. His $5 million signing bonus is prorated out over the two years of the contract, meaning his 2020 cap cost is $3.5 million.

The cap cost of keeping him on the team in 2021 rises to $8.5 million against the cap. Cutting him before his roster bonus is paid would save the team $6 million. If he establishes himself as a genuine threat in Pittsburgh, however, he’s more likely to get an extension than be released.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/20...on-report.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Also was of the opinion that Ebron hadn't been drafted as high as he was, he wouldn't be viewed as negatively by Lions fans.
    Bingo!!!

So many players have been labeled as “busts” because the team that drafted them took them higher than “expected”. If Ebron had been the ninth pick in R2 (as opppsed to R1), Lions fans would have been like: “He’s good; he’s got flaws, but every player in R2 is gonna have some flaws.”

It reminds me of Chad Scott. He was great, got injured, and then, was merely “good”. Steelers fans ignored the injury and instead focused on the fact that he was a “R1 pick!!!”

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers effectively signed Eric Ebron to a 1+1 contract, reported details of the deal confirmed Friday reveal.

Ebron’s contract pays him $1 million in base salary this year with a $5 million signings bonus. In 2021 he would earn a $5.5 million salary and get paid a $500,000 if he’s on the roster on the fifth day of the league year. His $5 million signing bonus is prorated out over the two years of the contract, meaning his 2020 cap cost is $3.5 million.

The cap cost of keeping him on the team in 2021 rises to $8.5 million against the cap. Cutting him before his roster bonus is paid would save the team $6 million. If he establishes himself as a genuine threat in Pittsburgh, however, he’s more likely to get an extension than be released.

Now that... is a sweet deal for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

Thanks for the info!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

It's hard to argue with those numbers!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Thanks for the info!

- - - Updated - - -

It's hard to argue with those numbers!
    Eventually one of these style deals (Barron, Burnett, Chickillo, Moncrief) has to work out - right? Right? I mean this time it'll be great. Has to be. Law of averages and what-not...sure. Sure. Yeah.

In all seriousness, this is savvy deal by the team and I am surprised that Ebron was not able to get a better one on the FA market.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It reminds me of Chad Scott. He was great, got injured, and then, was merely “good”. Steelers fans ignored the injury and instead focused on the fact that he was a “R1 pick!!!”
    That kind of stuff drives me nuts. Same thing happened with Figures, except I think he was shot in the knee? Both serviceable despite both suffering injury setbacks at a very important part of the body. They were not super stars, but they were both grossly under appreciated merely because of fan expectations.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    That kind of stuff drives me nuts. Same thing happened with Figures, except I think he was shot in the knee? Both serviceable despite both suffering injury setbacks at a very important part of the body. They were not super stars, but they were both grossly under appreciated merely because of fan expectations.

....and due to circumstances that were completely out of their control. Being a diminished player because of an injury is so unfortunate. We all want to win and for everyone to play well, but these fans that flip out on a player that simply got severely injured and was never the same is ridiculous.

I'm with you. Fans drive me nuts!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I have a good buddy who is a massive Lions fan. Says Ebron will drive you nuts. Capable of making game altering catches and game altering drops as well.
    Spotty personality, Inconsistent health, Not a reliable catcher, could be great but not consistent. As if we didn't have that already with McDonald (minus the personality part). I give him two games before this board turns on him.

Letting Jesse James go in hindsight was a horrible mistake.