Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2016 draft class did not age like fine wine

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The 2016 draft class did not age like fine wine

All of these players are now gone. Only Hargrave was decent an he didn't even play 60% of the snaps.

1. Artie Burns
    2. Sean Davis
    3. Javon Hargrave
    4. Jerald Hawkins
    5. Travis Feeney
    6. Demarcus Ayers
    7. Tyler Matakevich

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: The 2016 draft class did not age like fine wine

Matakevich was a good ST performer for a 7.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Hargrave was a great pick but unfortunately couldn't afford

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

We should have re-signed them all and traded them for R1 picks...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Why aren't you in a position of power with this team?

Problem solved!

Pfffft.......Kevin Colbert.......

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hargrave was a good player for the team when allowed to play. The others, no. Btw is Artie Burns even signed or does no one want him? I am just assuming Pittsburgh doesn't want him

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Full disclosure. At the time I would have gone Vernon Butler, DT La Tech, Vonn Bell S (2nd round) and Eric Murray cb Minnesota in the 3rd. Butler has been a bust, but Bell and Murray have been OK in the NFL so far.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Why aren't you in a position of power with this team?

Problem solved!

Pfffft.......Kevin Colbert.......
    When I was running the Ravens... uh...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Man, if only we had accepted that offer to trade down for pick #25, and grabbed Xavien Howard +1 ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I would have traded them for Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Derrick Henry, Aaron Donald, Darius Leonard, Von Miller and multiple future #1 draft picks...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Not sure there ever was another player that I had a bigger draft crush on than Keanu Neal, I was hoping he would fall to Pittsburgh.

Really unfortunate he can't stay healthy. Tore his ACL week one of the 2018 season, and tore his Achilles in week three last season.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

When I was running the Ravens... uh...

Just Ozzie being Ozzie.....

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

the only picks i liked were hargrave and ayers at the time and i dont even spend much time scouting on my own. what the F were colbert and tomlin doing that offseason? truly awful besides hargrave. everyone hated that draft at the time, looks like everyone was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Matakevich was a good ST performer for a 7.
    That he was.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers had an offer to trade down in round one and could have pick dup an extra 3rd. We could have had CB X Howard, and S Simmons. That's would I would have done. Colbert jut insn't very good at drafting DB's. Trading or signing them as free agents, he's much better at.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Man, if only we had accepted that offer to trade down for pick #25, and grabbed Xavien Howard +1 ...
    Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, Xavien Howard was seen as very raw. People would have lost their shit if Colbert has drafted Howard. In fact, one person mentioned Howard as a possibility, and he was laughed off of the board.

Mackensie Alexander was mentioned as an alternative. He’s only been okay, but he would have been better than Burns.

I had zero problems with the Burns pick, considering his backstory. Burns didn’t want to enter the draft; he needed another year. But, with both his mom & dad both suddenly gone, he was in charge of his two younger brothers. I was going to root for the kid no matter where he landed; so, again, I was fine with the pick.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, Xavien Howard was seen as very raw. People would have lost their shit if Colbert has drafted Howard. In fact, one person mentioned Howard as a possibility, and he was laughed off of the board.

Mackensie Alexander was mentioned as an alternative. He’s only been okay, but he would have been better than Burns.

I had zero problems with the Burns pick, considering his backstory. Burns didn’t want to enter the draft; he needed another year. But, with both his mom & dad both suddenly gone, he was in charge of his two younger brothers. I was going to root for the kid no matter where he landed; so, again, I was fine with the pick.
    Yeah, Howard was being talked about as a R2-R3 pick ... then again, I'm not sure Burns was even on anyone's R1 list at all.

There was an ongoing debate about whether draft grade value should be weighted too heavily at the positions of need, especially "difficult" ones like DB. (e.g., if a CB had a Round 2-3 grade, but your starter is super shitty and singlehandedly destroying your defense - then the improvement from having even an OK player will make so much difference that spending a R1 pick on a R2 graded player is just fine). I was in the latter camp, pay less attention to the draft grade, but that is a hard sell.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

When I saw Burns clips in college, I saw an athlete who really did not know how to play cornerback and wasn't very aware. Good running in a straight line on man coverage, poor coverage vs. slants and in zone. Howard flat out balls, and makes plays on a bad NFL team. The Steelers reached for Burns, and turned down a trade down offer to select him.

I just hope Edmunds pans out. I have my doubts that he will be anything beyond your joe average NFL starting safety. The Steelers reached for Edmunds too.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 03-22-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Edmunds not Edwards

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    When I saw Burns clips in college, I saw an athlete who really did not know how to play cornerback and wasn't very aware. Good running in a straight line on man coverage, poor coverage vs. slants and in zone. Howard flat out balls, and makes plays on a bad NFL team. The Steelers reached for Burns, and turned down a trade down offer to select him.

I just hope Edwards pans out. I have my doubts that he will be anything beyond your joe average NFL starting safety. The Steelers reached for Edwards too.
    Troy Edwards didn't pan out. He's out of league since 2005. And, yes you're right, Steelers did reach for him.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

Burns is going to go down as one of the worst draft picks of the Kevin Colbert era, and the 2nd worst 1st round pick behind only Jarvis Jones. Burns had no business being a 1st round pick, he was an athlete who couldn't play football

I just hope Edwards pans out. I have my doubts that he will be anything beyond your joe average NFL starting safety. The Steelers reached for Edwards too.

When you say Edwards, I assume you mean Edmunds from a couple years ago?

Just clarifying

Yeah, Howard was being talked about as a R2-R3 pick ... then again, I'm not sure Burns was even on anyone's R1 list at all.

There was an ongoing debate about whether draft grade value should be weighted too heavily at the positions of need, especially "difficult" ones like DB. (e.g., if a CB had a Round 2-3 grade, but your starter is super shitty and singlehandedly destroying your defense - then the improvement from having even an OK player will make so much difference that spending a R1 pick on a R2 graded player is just fine). I was in the latter camp, pay less attention to the draft grade, but that is a hard sell.
    I think that the vast majority of us are in the “BPA” over “need” camp. Historically, Colbert has been of that mindset, as well. The two times Colbert drafted for “need”, it backfired horribly: Burns and Jones.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I recall a lot of Howard talk being R2, because he had size, speed, but not good technique and was very grabby in man coverage. Don't think he had a lot of experience at the position either. He was gonna be boom or bust.

Burns went thru the draft process and was on a lot of top 5 CB lists, but I personally didn't see why other than his athleticism and padding some INT stats against a couple bad Big East QB's. I personally didn't like his technique, cheating off his responsibilities and preferred guys like Alexander, Fuller, Eric Murray over him.

I think that the vast majority of us are in the “BPA” over “need” camp. Historically, Colbert has been of that mindset, as well. The two times Colbert drafted for “need”, it backfired horribly: Burns and Jones.
    I think we should all be in the value matching need camp for rounds 1, and 2. BPA could be a Guard, an Inside linebacker, or a Cornerback. I'd rather take a slightly lower graded player that fits our system at a need position.

There has to be a balanced. Take the best player at a need. Don't reach but it's ok to take a slightly lower rated prospect at a much more significant need

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Bush was a need pick last year and I think it was pretty good.

Sometimes you need to draft for need. Maybe that’s why they call it “need.”

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I just hope Edmunds pans out. I have my doubts that he will be anything beyond your joe average NFL starting safety. The Steelers reached for Edmunds too.
    Of course you did, why don’t the Steelers hire you . . .

Just clarifying
    Yes. My jaw dropped on both picks. A really small and not that fast WR, and a Safety that most saw a 1st round reach. While Edwards and Edmunds are not Jarvis Jones / Limas Sweed bad they are trending as first round disappointments with other players at the same position taken later in the draft as better options in hindsight.

I wanted Kearse over Edwards and Reid over Edmunds.

- - - Updated - - -

Just clarifying
    Yes. My jaw dropped on both picks. A really small and not that fast WR, and a Safety that most saw a 1st round reach. While Edwards and Edmunds are not Jarvis Jones / Limas Sweed bad they are trending as first round disappointments with other players at the same position taken later in the draft as better options in hindsight.

I wanted Kearse over Edwards and Reid over Edmunds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Of course you did, why don’t the Steelers hire you . . .
    The Steelers want young and cheap. I'm neither. Nor is my last name Rooney Haley, or Colbert.

Being a professional scout is griding work. I'd pass on the offer. You live in your car, which so why most teams buy their scouts a luxury car. I'd likely make less money. I'd rather see the wife and kids, and not relocate to a less than desirable area of the country.

The Steelers do have a really good scout in Phil Kreidler, who they promoted. Phil used to cover the South and came up with some late round steals during his tenure. He has been promoted to scouting coordinator, and if Colbert were to retire, he would have a shot to be the new GM.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Bush was a need pick last year and I think it was pretty good.

Sometimes you need to draft for need. Maybe that’s why they call it “need.”
    Agreed. The BPA Chart is not how the draft works. Key spots such as Quarterback, Pass Rusher, and Cornerback are routinely overdrafted, not because they are the best player available, but because the need is greatest at these positions.

By contrast there are the so called luxury picks meaning this was BPA player at a position the team doesn't have a high need for.

I prefer to match value with need, and with the player having a skill set that fits into what the Steelers like to do on offense of defense. In rounds one or two, the player has to work out to a certain standard. If he's too small, too slow too light, too weak....what he did on video in college takes a back seat. Examples Jarvis Jones or Troy Edwards. The pure football player types can be found in the mid to later rounds, just don't over draft them.

I also think you really need to watch out for over drafting small school players, unless they proved their worth in the senior bowl week. and work out like a first round pick. The SEC, ACC and Big Ten to me are the best battle tested players.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Agreed. The BPA Chart is not how the draft works. Key spots such as Quarterback, Pass Rusher, and Cornerback are routinely overdrafted, not because they are the best player available, but because the need is greatest at these positions.

By contrast there are the so called luxury picks meaning this was BPA player at a position the team doesn't have a high need for.

I prefer to match value with need, and with the player having a skill set that fits into what the Steelers like to do on offense of defense. In rounds one or two, the player has to work out to a certain standard. If he's too small, too slow too light, too weak....what he did on video in college takes a back seat. Examples Jarvis Jones or Troy Edwards. The pure football player types can be found in the mid to later rounds, just don't over draft them.

I also think you really need to watch out for over drafting small school players, unless they proved their worth in the senior bowl week. and work out like a first round pick. The SEC, ACC and Big Ten to me are the best battle tested players.
    Yeah, there’s no simplistic answer about how to perfectly balance need and BPA. I’m kind of excited this year since I have absolutely no idea who our first pick (in round 2) will be. That’s why I’m happy we retained Dupree and signed Ebron. Now hopefully we don’t reach for any need.

If I had to guess, I’d say we go Oline but I’m fine with going elsewhere if the value is there.